HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 7:24 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
ah, thanks.

I think fake old buildings are lazy, but if it uses real brick and is clean with a good ground floor, it can work as background like this...hopefully the new version isn't a step backwards.

This is a nice example of how to add a modern addition to the roof of an old building.

I agree, but is it too much to ask to match the existing tone? That would even make it less of a distraction.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 8:07 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

haha didnt u complain about that almost 20yrs ago along with most of u on hereabout the missmatch colour that was 2006? they did this addition?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 9:01 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
haha didnt u complain about that almost 20yrs ago along with most of u on hereabout the missmatch colour that was 2006? they did this addition?
You talking about me, 1ajs?

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 9:45 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
You talking about me, 1ajs?
yes sir

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 10:05 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
yes sir
I don't remember that, but yep that sounds like me!

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 10:09 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I agree, but is it too much to ask to match the existing tone? That would even make it less of a distraction.
I think that is intentional, actually. They dont want you to match but to be complimentary.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 10:11 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I can only assume you haven't dealt much with UDAC lately on Exchange projects - lately. The above bolded statement holds zero weight with them and how they operate if you want to attempt a vertical addition. It's certainly reasonable, but UDAC doesn't operate to be reasonable.
Interesting. My experience with them is if you propose something reasonable, they are reasonable.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRain&Snow View Post
Without a doubt one of the nicest buildings under construction right now in Winnipeg. Really excited to see this one when it's done.

Also, noticed this was your first post. Welcome to our little corner of the internet haha.

I've made previous posts in the past here, it's just l lost my pass code in the shuffle a couple of times.

Why haven't l posted in awhile?

It's because people totally goes off on topics that have nothing to do with construction at all. Plus the odd couple of people tend to get into an argument. When this happens. Some lose interest of coming here or don't bother posting anything anymore. Watching adults argue gets old very fast. What really ticks me off is that post whatever they want.

If l was part of the admin team. I would delete posts that have nothing to do with construction and delete the arguments. Top it off, suspend people for a couple of days, so they can cool off. These two subjects has caked it with me. This site has been around at least 20yrs. Let's treat the site with some respect and dignity.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcticwolf33 View Post
I've made previous posts in the past here, it's just l lost my pass code in the shuffle a couple of times.

Why haven't l posted in awhile?

It's because people totally goes off on topics that have nothing to do with construction at all. Plus the odd couple of people tend to get into an argument. When this happens. Some lose interest of coming here or don't bother posting anything anymore. Watching adults argue gets old very fast. What really ticks me off is that post whatever they want.

If l was part of the admin team. I would delete posts that have nothing to do with construction and delete the arguments. Top it off, suspend people for a couple of days, so they can cool off. These two subjects has caked it with me. This site has been around at least 20yrs. Let's treat the site with some respect and dignity.
I agree, concur.
I am also fed up about non related topics and going off on a tangent about something that makes little sense, let alone insulting comments.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 10:03 PM

^Agreed. People trying to argue with you on messaging boards is annoying AF.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:16 PM

I appreciate that you guys have gone off topic by talking about going off topic.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:30 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

i hear the critisym if someone has the time to join in just ask the admins

i choose a more open way of not being an asshole neeutral and keeping perspective open. i wana hear the cons and lybral perspectives. now the insults do get tireing, i do give people crap in the back ground and have cracked down on certan people since last fall. i have definatly been too soft and bad at off topic policing.

i am a realy busy person running industrial water plants in the north protecting our waterways from toxic water.

ive put up with allot of abuse allot more then people see

only put my name in cause no one els seemed interested at the time

respond in western expresso.

people can quote and just respond there its what that thread was created for

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:01 PM

So back to Zaifman.

Tin foil hat time:

We know he's desperate to tear down that building.

Is the plan of building on the adjoining lot taking inspiration from the Scott Memorial Orange Hall mess? Build a new building next door, maybe cut some corners on the shoring for the existing building, then bring in some structural engineer to document that, oh no, the heritage building's structure is irremediably compromised?

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 6:47 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it would be simpler to just burn it down

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 7:06 PM

He's owned that property for what, like 15 years now? The city should just expropriate it at this point. The Manitoba Historical Society website says the building has been closed since 2008. Surely the city could pass some sort of bylaw allowing them to expropriate designated historic sites that have been vacant for more than 5 years. If only there was some political will at city council to save some of these old buildings.

https://www.mhs.mb.ca/docs/sites/stcharleshotel.shtml

Old Posted May 30, 2024, 8:43 PM

^ Add the Boyd Building to that list of great buildings going to waste by scumbag owners who should have them seized

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 2:29 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

boyd building is weird one was an ocupied building and then all sudden they come buy it and boot all the tenits now it sits

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 5:11 PM

This week I parked near Calvary Temple, and walked for a few blocks to a cycle shop on Albert Street. They cordoned off the street, as film crews were shooting a movie in the alley way between Albert and Arthur.

I happened to notice how dire some of the roads are, especially the alleys. The alley near that church is something to behold. It looks worse than a third world country. The city really needs to increase the budget to fix up some of these roads, even if it means increasing property taxes, and to reduce spending on some other departments.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
This week I parked near Calvary Temple, and walked for a few blocks to a cycle shop on Albert Street. They cordoned off the street, as film crews were shooting a movie in the alley way between Albert and Arthur.

I happened to notice how dire some of the roads are, especially the alleys. The alley near that church is something to behold. It looks worse than a third world country. The city really needs to increase the budget to fix up some of these roads, even if it means increasing property taxes, and to reduce spending on some other departments.
Tender 218-2024 that closed May 31/24 should look after that back lane by the church. There are also a few other lanes under that tender in the area of the Downtown Giant Tiger that are up for renewal as well.

Old Posted May 31, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post

I think those crumbly alleys are an asset! Without pre-destroyed roads, how will we land post-apocalyptic film shoots?
Small stain

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan