HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laaron View Post
I understand retail in general has been taking a huge hit and companies are not opening as many new stores. But it is no excuse for all the t-shirts shops lining Canal St. Smaller cities with less tourist have more retail variety downtown than us. Like one of you mentioned I would be satisfied with a few chain restaurants. Tourist walk Canal St. with money to burn. Just make it more eye appealing atleast.
all those T-shirt shops are owned my slum lord, rules dont apply to me, Michael Motwoni, as well as the willies chicken shacks and several Bourbon street strip clubs and a bunch of other stuff. the city tells him No, he does it anyway and they generally dont do anything to him...I think it was his son, raped a girl in one of the strip clubs, he paid it off, the other son raped a girl, not sure what happened with that case. so dont expect to see those shops go anywhere

change the subject. heres a 50Four pic lol

digging up old drainage pipes

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDot View Post
What high end retailers could Canal St attract ? Seems Canal St was specifically designated for shopping and retail akin to Times Square or Beale St yet can’t keep the high end retailers. Is it because of the environment or business climate of the city ?
It has to be a combination of both because we are not even attracting mid level retail. Stores like Nike, Zara etc. aren't considered high end and we can't even attract that. Even McDonalds left Canal so that's saying alot. I just wish we could do better thats all.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
"After several failed attempts to build a new hotel at the upriver end of the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, the building's oversight board is expected to vote on a new proposal that could finally make the project a reality. The board on Wednesday will consider a formal, non-binding agreement with Omni Hotel and Resorts that would effectively begin the process of building the hotel, according to the public meeting notice ahead of board's monthly meeting. They are also expected to vote on a resolution related to a purchase of the eight-acre site where the proposed hotel and adjacent parking garage will be built."

https://www.nola.com/news/business/n...e4d5d2da1.html

HELL YES ! This excitement

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooperpaz View Post
"After several failed attempts to build a new hotel at the upriver end of the Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, the building's oversight board is expected to vote on a new proposal that could finally make the project a reality. The board on Wednesday will consider a formal, non-binding agreement with Omni Hotel and Resorts that would effectively begin the process of building the hotel, according to the public meeting notice ahead of board's monthly meeting. They are also expected to vote on a resolution related to a purchase of the eight-acre site where the proposed hotel and adjacent parking garage will be built."

https://www.nola.com/news/business/n...e4d5d2da1.html

I do hope the design be unique and different though

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco96 View Post
I do hope the design be unique and different though
I'm pretty sure this isn't what they're going with. According to the other post here they'll be building it where the sugar mill is whereas this rendering is from downriver of the CCC.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 2:59 AM

One pie in the sky hope is that maybe with the Omni shift to the Sugar Mill site, we see a revival of the MGM brand on the original hotel site, with all of its entertainment offerings appear ♂️.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyboyfloyd View Post
One pie in the sky hope is that maybe with the Omni shift to the Sugar Mill site, we see a revival of the MGM brand on the original hotel site, with all of its entertainment offerings appear ������������♂️.
👀👀👀👀👀 hmmmm

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 3:31 AM

No lie I want the dolphin parking lot developed so bad frfr lol. But that owner not selling

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 6:38 PM

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/s...319a5.amp.html I’m confident both sides will come together and iron this thing out. There’s too much at stake for them not to.

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 7:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris from N.O. View Post
I'm pretty sure this isn't what they're going with. According to the other post here they'll be building it where the sugar mill is whereas this rendering is from downriver of the CCC.
The nola.com article linked earlier in this thread has a photo of the Nashville convention center Omni and says the concept will be similar for this one. Looks nice to me.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:23 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
What high end retailers could Canal St attract ? Seems Canal St was specifically designated for shopping and retail akin to Times Square or Beale St yet can’t keep the high end retailers. Is it because of the environment or business climate of the city ?
I mean technically there are high end retailers at the end of Canal with Saks and Tiffany's. But they're all in Canal Place which does well on it's own, so not much point for the brands to be putting storefronts on Canal. I do think an Apple and or Nike store would be killer up a block or two.

Regarding the convention center hotel I think that location make's a lot of since. I guess they'd need a height waver? I live nearby and I feel like that's probably the only challenge. It at least leaves the the spot at the end and the whale lot open for future development. It really is insane nothing has happened to the whale lot after all these years.

Last edited by jjslonaker; May 24, 2024 at 1:30 AM. Reason: I

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:27 AM
NOLA Razorback

Quote:
https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/s...319a5.amp.html I’m confident both sides will come together and iron this thing out. There’s too much at stake for them not to.
I find this hilarious because Gayle's got a net worth of $6.1 billion and they can't make payments lmao. Stadiums really are a waste of our tax dollars

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I mean technically there are high end retailers at the end of Canal with Saks and Tiffany's. But they're all in Canal Place which does well on it's own, so not much point for the brands to be putting storefronts on Canal. I do think an Apple and or Nike store would be killer up a block or two.

Regarding the convention center hotel I think that location make's a lot of since. I guess they'd need a height waver? I live nearby and I feel like that's probably the only challenge. It at least leaves the the spot at the end and the whale lot open for future development. It really is insane nothing has happened to the whale lot after all these years.
we have a nike store, it just happens to be at Carrolton and tulane, many places arent willing to open here until crime is under control. get upset if people want, truth hurts

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjslonaker View Post
I find this hilarious because Gayle's got a net worth of $6.1 billion and they can't make payments lmao. Stadiums really are a waste of our tax dollars
while she has or should have plenty cash money, she is worth that number on paper, many rich people are cash poor. she would have that if she sold everything. that being said, losing money with Faubourg Brewing Co. should have stayed Dixie, and paying for the kid diddlers attorney fees, no clue where her money is cash wise vs her having to sell something. her main money is saints/pelicans car dealerships and banks

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadmoor View Post
The nola.com article linked earlier in this thread has a photo of the Nashville convention center Omni and says the concept will be similar for this one. Looks nice to me.
Ah, thanks. Didn't see that. Yeah that's a nice design

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 6:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLAslimm View Post
while she has or should have plenty cash money, she is worth that number on paper, many rich people are cash poor. she would have that if she sold everything. that being said, losing money with Faubourg Brewing Co. should have stayed Dixie, and paying for the kid diddlers attorney fees, no clue where her money is cash wise vs her having to sell something. her main money is saints/pelicans car dealerships and banks
I think more than likely this is just some kind of bullshit negotiation tactic.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 1:23 PM

It’ll eventually be worked out( my guess is the Saints want a longer term lease then what they currently have). I believe the current lease runs through 2030 or something. The Saints want a longer lease from the LSED with a clause that states that the LSED continue to make upgrades to the Dome every few years until both sides agree on a possible new stadium in a the next 15-20 years. Again, I could be wrong but that seems the major bone of contention.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 2:56 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green0007 View Post
The Convention Center's oversight board okayed a new proposal with Omni on Wednesday. However, the proposed hotel would not be built on the preferred upriver site in the River District. The board also gave assent to convention center management to buy for about $20 million the block that currently is occupied by The Sugar Mill event space and an adjacent parking lot. That land, bordered by Andrew Higgins Boulevard, South Peters Street, John Churchill Chase Street, and Convention Center Boulevard, would be the site of the hotel and related parking space.

I don't hate the location and think that area is a dead zone that would benefit from a large new hotel. This would also be centrally located for the convention center's various halls and frankly a better location than the now empty river district lots. However, its not a good sign for the River District which would have benefitted greatly from this project.

https://www.nola.com/news/business/n...ness-headlines
This is a smart move actually. The Sugar Mill site is better in every respect and it will fill in a big dead zone in the Warehouse District. Not sure what kind of historic protection the old Sugar Mill buildings have, but we could end up with a pretty cool architecture / mix of old and new.

The River District should benefit from less focus on conventioneers. Let it be a neighborhood for people to actually live in. Let it play host to new Class A office space to attract employers. Let it become a destination for important retail that Orleans Parish is missing.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
This is a smart move actually. The Sugar Mill site is better in every respect and it will fill in a big dead zone in the Warehouse District. Not sure what kind of historic protection the old Sugar Mill buildings have, but we could end up with a pretty cool architecture / mix of old and new.

The River District should benefit from less focus on conventioneers. Let it be a neighborhood for people to actually live in. Let it play host to new Class A office space to attract employers. Let it become a destination for important retail that Orleans Parish is missing.
Agreed. Though I bet TopGolf is pretty upset that they will be an interstate-underpass away from the nearest hotel rooms (for) now.

Old Posted May 24, 2024, 5:06 PM

LSED and Saints have to get it together because pelicans fans are suffering even more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations