HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 12:19 PM

Doors Open Ottawa 2024

The list of buildings for Doors Open Ottawa has been published. A few unique ones here. https://ottawa.ca/en/arts-heritage-a...2024-buildings

Old Posted May 23, 2024, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanforest View Post
The list of buildings for Doors Open Ottawa has been published. A few unique ones here. https://ottawa.ca/en/arts-heritage-a...2024-buildings
Not part of Doors Open, but this weekend, the Gatineau Preservation Centre is hosting an Open House:

https://library-archives.canada.ca/e...-Gatineau.aspx

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 6:42 PM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Where did everyone end up going?

I did the Hostel, Supreme Court and then the Archives next door.

What I really wanted to do was Chaudière Dam but I didn't realize it was 1 day only guided tour. I thought I just had to register a timeslot or something. Very limited spots as well so I imagine those were gone very earlier.

So my second choice.. Imperium? The archives building next to the Museum of Science and Tech was the same thing. Next year I will be sitting on the cities website when it goes live. It was interesting to note that those bookings were handled by EventBrite.

The Hostel was pretty small, just a staircase with a gallows and then 3 cells up top. Supreme Court has a very impressive lobby. Seeing the main court with the 7? judges seats was interesting. Lots of cool construction photos and elevation drawings in the lobby. I don't know if those displays are normally there. They also had airport style security although that was hardly a surprise. The Archives building has a lobby that is a time capsule from the late 60s early 70s. I loved the light/tile panel ceiling.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboycurtis View Post
What I really wanted to do was Chaudière Dam but I didn't realize it was 1 day only guided tour. I thought I just had to register a timeslot or something. Very limited spots as well so I imagine those were gone very earlier.

Didn't miss much in my opinion, just a tour of all the already publically accessible locations with a bit of history. Kinda missed the open doors part of it. Wish they would have shown off the old workroom / turbine house near the dam, or show off the control room or the turbine level (which clearly has info signs like they planned to let people down there at some point).

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 1:10 AM
Cigritbutt enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
Didn't miss much in my opinion, just a tour of all the already publically accessible locations with a bit of history. Kinda missed the open doors part of it. Wish they would have shown off the old workroom / turbine house near the dam, or show off the control room or the turbine level (which clearly has info signs like they planned to let people down there at some point).
I was hoping to walk across the ring dam. I don't know if that was part of it.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Ring dam! Ring dam! Ring dam!

Accessing the dam and the rocks below should be the next phase of opening up the Chaudière to humans.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Was not unfortunetly

Old Posted Jun 5, 2024, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
They used to do tours in the turbine rooms before the pandemic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Ring dam! Ring dam! Ring dam!

Accessing the dam and the rocks below should be the next phase of opening up the Chaudière to humans.
But what if you jump or fall down and die???

(somehow this question doesn't apply to all the other potentially deadly bridges in the vicinity)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion