HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 1:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Every street seems a bit of a lofty goal, but any progress in keeping the city clean is welcome. They mentioned paving as well.

Curious if anyone in the logan square area has heard any rumblings if the ben Franklin parkway redesign. Saw this in a billy penn article from feb, but i don't think the final plan came out:

https://billypenn.com/2024/02/12/eak...state-funding/
I watched a video on YouTube a couple weeks ago on it and had the same question. I didn't know the Parkway is a State road so any changes have to be signed off by PENNDOT. Ugh. At least the Calder Museum is well under way.

Edit: found the video , good stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mOMf-Bz9Rw

Last edited by jaysb; May 20, 2024 at 2:23 PM. Reason: add vid

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysb View Post
I watched a video on YouTube a couple weeks ago on it and had the same question. I didn't know the Parkway is a State road so any changes have to be signed off by PENNDOT. Ugh. At least the Calder Museum is well under way.
I would say most of Philadelphias high volume multi lane avenues are state roads.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:35 PM

Penndot is the worst. I'm still pissed we missed the chance to properly cap 676 at logan square. The parkway just sucks so much for walkers and biking, but it really is pretty terrible as a driver too. I am excited about the calder museum though. And i guess I'll remain hopeful about the parkway redesign.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 2:54 PM

They're the worst yeah. They're entirely rebuilding and widening 95 and barely making improvements for actual Philadelphians who live next to the highway. Sure they are adding some poorly maintained landscaping around/under 95 but what a missed opportunity.

Look at the underline project in Miami:

Oh well Miami has tropical weather, that would never work in Philly...but here's the Toronto bentway:

The ultimate missed opportunity was for a MFL extension/new branch in the 95 median from Market Street all the way to Snyder etc but I understand that's even more ambitious.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 3:33 PM

Yeah i had seen the Toronto one before but not Miami. Both look great and would totally work in Philly. The space under the highway is wasted. And the idea of transit in the median makes a lot of sense. 95 goes through some pretty dense neighborhoods that could use some rapid transit. Might make more sense to just have it continue south to the Navy yard though, given the capacity issues on the mfl. Could share the spring garden station for transfers.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skintreesnail View Post
Yeah i had seen the Toronto one before but not Miami. Both look great and would totally work in Philly. The space under the highway is wasted. And the idea of transit in the median makes a lot of sense. 95 goes through some pretty dense neighborhoods that could use some rapid transit. Might make more sense to just have it continue south to the Navy yard though, given the capacity issues on the mfl. Could share the spring garden station for transfers.
Yeah sadly this will never happen. Best we can hope for is light rail in the Delaware/Columbus median which the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation really wants to happen. Their track record is also fantastic. In most other cities, neighborhoods would rally around public transit but with all of the problems the L spreads, I can guarantee that Queen Village, Pennsport, Bella Vista, Whitman and Dickinson Square would want nothing to do with subway access despite the area desperately needing it. 5th and 22nd should really converted into North-South rapid transit light rail or at least bus lane with protected lanes.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 6:54 PM

This was announced when BioMerieux first signed the lease for the space over a year ago: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...navy-yard.html

So I'd actually reframe and say that the Navy Yard is so devoid of new leasing and development activity (outside of the resi projects) that the PR team came up with a new way to package year-old information to make it sound like momentum when actually I don't think there's been a single commercial deal completed down there since Q1 2023. To be clear, it's a good thing for the Navy Yard specifically and Philadelphia generally, but I think the headwinds across biotech and life sciences remain very strong. Brandywine hasn't announced a single life sciences lease in either 3151 Market or 3025 JFK either.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadandMarket View Post
Yeah sadly this will never happen. Best we can hope for is light rail in the Delaware/Columbus median which the Delaware River Waterfront Corporation really wants to happen. Their track record is also fantastic. In most other cities, neighborhoods would rally around public transit but with all of the problems the L spreads, I can guarantee that Queen Village, Pennsport, Bella Vista, Whitman and Dickinson Square would want nothing to do with subway access despite the area desperately needing it. 5th and 22nd should really converted into North-South rapid transit light rail or at least bus lane with protected lanes.
It’s starting to happen northward in fishtown and port Richmond. Those new under sections of 95 have running trails, parks, and I think even courts.

Once Penn’s Landing Park is done, I bet we will see a Del Ave trolley to get it connected with N Del Ave and into Fishtown.

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 8:34 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
speaking of chinatown they are digging what looks like a new foundation next to everyone's favorite never ending addition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
Lol are there just no rules over there? Like, what's going on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleWhiteOut View Post
There's a permit I remember seeing for this, believe it or not this section is supposed to also eventually be 10 stories and actually become the main entrance. We can check back in another 10-15 years
Photos from last Friday here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...45995515689074

…and a deep dive from last year: https://www.facebook.com/groups/Phil...22692661352695

I see conflicting info in permits on whether the main block of the building (932-34 Arch St) might still grow another 3 stories or not. The rendering on the construction fence poster appears to depict it as 10-stories overall, including the 10th St hotel entrance section.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 3:30 PM

New CDR materials up today. Nothing very exciting, just two low-rise multifamily projects in West Philly and an industrial building near the airport. Interest rates have definitely slowed down new proposals. That's OK though, there's still a relatively big pipeline of approved projects since so many projects rushed to get approvals before the old tax abatement expired.

30-36 S 52nd St

246 S 59th St

4630 Island Ave #A

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:53 AM

M.M. Lafleur is coming to 17th and Sansom. Seems like a luxury woman’s brand out of NYC with additional locations in DC, Boston and Chicago. Good addition!

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:39 PM

#33! All things considered that's not bad.
If Gene Therapy comes to fruition I'm sure that will catapult us up some spots in the coming decade(s).
Also, I imagine the buildout of the HILCO/Bellweather property and expansion work at the port will help from an industrial perspective

https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20240521.html

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 1:53 PM

Quote:
If Gene Therapy comes to fruition I'm sure that will catapult us up some spots in the coming decade(s).
Also, I imagine the buildout of the HILCO/Bellweather property and expansion work at the port will help from an industrial perspective

It's great. It should have said, quite literally, Philadelphia ranked 33 best city in the world by a prominent economic index.

And LEFT IT AT THAT. It is impressive in it's own right. Google how some other cities write about it:

'Sydney ranked among the top twenty cities around the world based on a huge range of indicators'

(By the way, not that far above Philadelphia'.

US?

Who beat us?
The top 50 cities on the international list were largely in North America, with New York taking the No. 1 spot. Please take a moment to boo before this next quote.

“[New York] is the economic capital of the United States, and in many ways, the world,” Oxford Economics wrote. “It is a global hub for finance, tech, advertising, media, and fashion.”

New York, in fact, is so important that even Philadelphia’s write-up in the index is, in part, defined by our proximity to the Big Apple. Philly, Oxford Economics wrote, is well-situated between New York and Washington (13th place overall), which gives us “access to other major markets,” helping to elevate our score. Sigh.

Rounding out the top five cities were London, San Jose, Tokyo, and Paris. And while the New York thing was predictable, it did hurt a little to be so far outclassed by Boston, which took 11th place. Boston, Oxford Economics wrote, is still a “global powerhouse” in terms of economics and human capital.

Literally none of that was necessary.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
It's great. It should have said, quite literally, Philadelphia ranked 33 best city in the world by a prominent economic index.

And LEFT IT AT THAT. It is impressive in it's own right. Google how some other cities write about it:

'Sydney ranked among the top twenty cities around the world based on a huge range of indicators'

(By the way, not that far above Philadelphia'.

US?

Who beat us?
The top 50 cities on the international list were largely in North America, with New York taking the No. 1 spot. Please take a moment to boo before this next quote.

“[New York] is the economic capital of the United States, and in many ways, the world,” Oxford Economics wrote. “It is a global hub for finance, tech, advertising, media, and fashion.”

New York, in fact, is so important that even Philadelphia’s write-up in the index is, in part, defined by our proximity to the Big Apple. Philly, Oxford Economics wrote, is well-situated between New York and Washington (13th place overall), which gives us “access to other major markets,” helping to elevate our score. Sigh.

Rounding out the top five cities were London, San Jose, Tokyo, and Paris. And while the New York thing was predictable, it did hurt a little to be so far outclassed by Boston, which took 11th place. Boston, Oxford Economics wrote, is still a “global powerhouse” in terms of economics and human capital.

Literally none of that was necessary.
Agreed, we know those cities are in a class of their own; the Inky doesn't have to kick down.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:00 PM

Quote:

Definitely a solid ranking for the city. Denver is a bit of head-scratcher. It seems like the oddball given it's much smaller metro economy/size/diversity, even with all its recent growth, but I digress.

Boston is definitely an overachiever economically; that's been the case for a number of decades now. I think, however, there's a LOT of parallels between the two cities in terms of the Cambridge/University City analogue and its potential to continue to transform the economic dynamic of Philadelphia. The footing for capitalizing on innovation and research in Philly has arguably never been stronger; it just needs to keep the momentum going.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:02 PM

There's a proposal to build a $40 million marina and restaurants north of Penn Treaty park. I don't have the article or exact details, but seemed legit and impressive.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcphil View Post
There's a proposal to build a $40 million marina and restaurants north of Penn Treaty park. I don't have the article or exact details, but seemed legit and impressive.
verryyyy north of Penn Treaty Park...in Tacony/Mayfair area north of Tacony Palmyra bridge (7101 N Delaware Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19135).

https://www.phillyvoice.com/northeas...elaware-river/

I still can't believe Durst closed the marina by Morgan's Pier and the other pier. The area feels naked without it.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 3:23 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

And LEFT IT AT THAT. It is impressive in it's own right.
This part wasn't necessary either.

And you know what they say: 33 out of 1,000 ain’t bad. Still, Philly ranked far behind first-place New York City, and was below Boston (11th), Washington (13th), and Chicago (29th).

33 out of 1000 is top 5% of cities measured, good anyway you slice it. And no s**t that Philadelphia ranks far behind New York. A better comparison is Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, in which Philly is competitive in the economic and human capital metrics. The QOL and environment is what hurts Philadelphia's ranking.

It will be interesting to follow the data and rankings in the coming years since this is the first release of this particular study.

Old Posted May 22, 2024, 4:50 PM

It's weird that they took points off for "being prone to natural disaster," which other than snow, I guess, isn't true at all

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development