HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 7:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Agreed. The former Liberal Premiers were profligate spenders to the nth degree, and presumably went to the same economic school as Justin Trudeau.

I prefer fiscal prudence, but, sometimes the wallet does need to open just a bit because of special circumstances.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Agreed. The former Liberal Premiers were profligate spenders to the nth degree, and presumably went to the same economic school as Justin Trudeau.

I prefer fiscal prudence, but, sometimes the wallet does need to open just a bit because of special circumstances.
Another factor is the amount of taxes that would be recouped if there were more developments undertaken because of the improved financial viability. And it would be substantial.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
While I’m not a fan of Higgs’ lurch to the right over the last couple of years I don’t think being tight with a dollar is necessarily a bad thing in a politician. Especially after living through the Graham and then Gallant years.
Let's not pretend that Alward spent much differently than Graham or Gallant.

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 10:07 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Let's not pretend that Alward spent much differently than Graham or Gallant.
Seems like this discussion is best left to the political thread. I come here to get away from Red vs Blue talk

Old Posted May 14, 2024, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewber View Post
Seems like this discussion is best left to the political thread. I come here to get away from Red vs Blue talk

Fair enough.....although government policy/regulations/action or inaction seems pretty closely tied to the pace of development.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 12:47 AM

Reposting from politics thread:

I'm feeling the same as MonctonRad about the slow pace of the larger developments. There's no doubt in my mind that the concerns Bill Hennessey expressed to city council last week are valid, and are having a negative effect on development.

Just consider St. Bernard's Place. They can't still be in the planning stages, as they've had years to plan and get ready for construction. Are they still crunching numbers to ensure they get an acceptable return on investment?

It's frustrating, but I'm still optimistic.

Old Posted May 18, 2024, 12:31 PM

There's major infrastructure work that has to happen first before the Downing Street buildings can start. I don't know if they have to create the new east-west street before building construction is able to start. We could be looking at a couple of more years before we see anything happening.

Meanwhile, Ashford is keeping busy with their new apartment building construction. The first Lorentz Drive building is now accepting rental applications.

They had indicated before that they could release more details of their plans for the Assomption land. They should at least do that.

Old Posted May 19, 2024, 2:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

An interesting read - has the 15 minute city arrived in Moncton???

Looking for an alternative to Big Grocery? Moncton woman has a map for that
Cat LeClair created a visual list of many small markets and grocers in her community
Raechel Huizinga · CBC News · Posted: May 19, 2024 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-map-1.7203870

Quote:
Most of these shops are within walking distance of her home, so LeClair said she feels she's lowering her carbon footprint. While not necessarily saving money, LeClair said she's not spending any extra — especially without the temptations that can lead to impulse buying at bigger grocery stores.

"It took a bit more planning, if anything," she said. "There's nothing wrong with going for a little walk."

Old Posted May 20, 2024, 1:47 PM

Quote:
An interesting read - has the 15 minute city arrived in Moncton???

Looking for an alternative to Big Grocery? Moncton woman has a map for that
Cat LeClair created a visual list of many small markets and grocers in her community
Raechel Huizinga · CBC News · Posted: May 19, 2024 6:00 AM ADT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...-map-1.7203870

I don’t think we’re quite there, but this is a huge start! One thing that our city or province can do to help fight grocery prices, is give loans or tax breaks to entrepreneurs who want to open alternative grocery stores.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I don’t think we’re quite there, but this is a huge start! One thing that our city or province can do to help fight grocery prices, is give loans or tax breaks to entrepreneurs who want to open alternative grocery stores.
So I’m curious as to everyone pointing fingers to the Big “ marts” over grocery prices. They are adjusting as most business are as costs and transportation increases and continues to. While not saying that they are innocent, But seems to be a a little bit of the case, Look here so you don’t look here. Where is the finger pointing at the chicken , pork , egg , milk , beef and other regulated business? These are self administered government approved monopolies that set prices. So if the base price is x. That the “ marts “ have to adjust to compensate. Seems to me that we are focusing on the big bad wolfs and forgetting that there is an entire backend geared to keeping prices at a maximum

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 2:29 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I think this is a great topic of conversation, but I think it's better held in the Atlantic Canada Politics thread.

Old Posted May 21, 2024, 7:04 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I think this is a great topic of conversation, but I think it's better held in the Atlantic Canada Politics thread.
I said that a week ago today yet the conversation in here keeps leaning that way

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 1:59 PM

Interesting information:

A few building owners are scrambling, seems foundations/pilings were mis-engineered..

An engineer has lost her job over it I hear.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 2:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riberview View Post
Interesting information:

A few building owners are scrambling, seems foundations/pilings were mis-engineered..

An engineer has lost her job over it I hear.
What project are you referring to? Be careful what you say (libel is always a concern on an online public forum).

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
What project are you referring to? Be careful what you say (libel is always a concern on an online public forum).
Something corner of Weldon & St George.. Something McLaughlin Rd.. Something in Dieppe.. couple in Shediac..

Thankfully I have to leave out specifics due to my employer. 😅

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Something corner of Weldon & St George.. Something McLaughlin Rd.. Something in Dieppe.. couple in Shediac..

Thankfully I have to leave out specifics due to my employer. 😅
I have heard similar and it is not good, failing foundations and structural supports with no where near the correct amount of rebar support. Hopefully they can be fixed for safety. I imagine the re-sale value just tanked big time.

Old Posted May 27, 2024, 9:41 PM

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:24 PM

Quote:
The vacant lot at "316-326" Mountain Road, PID 06810877, sold in December 2023 for "$500."

There has been some activity on the site. Construction tarp in place on the perimeter..
I drove by yesterday and the property is now fenced and they started excavating. Any idea what they're building?

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonGoldenTri View Post
I drove by yesterday and the property is now fenced and they started excavating. Any idea what they're building?
Affordable housing apparently.

Old Posted May 29, 2024, 5:32 PM

$500 building lots?? How do I get in on these deals?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces