HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carboy15 View Post
Well, most roads in Manitoba are in better shape than in Winnipeg. Hwy 1 in Brandon is horrible (I remember 2022 when it was all potholes in the spring). Last time I was in Brandon I don't remember the road conditions, and I heard they were supposed to resurface it.
Hwy 1 in Brandon has been resurfaced. Great job IMO, nice and smooth!

"Naysayers are always predicting the present"-Anon.

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength"-Eric Hoffer

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspeid View Post
Hwy 1 in Brandon has been resurfaced. Great job IMO, nice and smooth!
Great to hear.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 7:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I heard PTH 1E twinning is very expensive (Lol I know). They are still trying to identify which route to take. The cost number starts with a B.
What is your source? That seems so farfetched.

The first phase of the Ontario side twinning is 6 km, and news sources stated the cost of 32 million dollars. The Ontario.ca website has a range of 15-50 million

https://files.ontario.ca/mto-norther...2023-01-10.pdf

The Manitoba side is ~16 km. Even if the geography is more challenging than the Ontario side, with the 2-3 overpass/interchange structures, the dollar value should not start with a B.

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 8:59 PM
There is always a way

Manitoba economics will apply, meaning that you add 100-200% off the top to account for corruption and bribes, just the cost of doing business. Then you have to account for the quasi monopolies on construction of this type and materials supply, and a project that should cost 100m ends up at 500m and up
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted May 17, 2024, 9:16 PM

There's no way this should cost $58+ million per kilometer. We are not building tunnels through the rockies here.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:33 PM

Can't remember if this is what spurred the conversation re: condition of PTH 75.
https://www.merx4.merx.com/mbgov/sol...63402&origin=2

But re-construction of the SB lanes from Morris through Ste. Jean Baptiste is out for tender.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:46 PM
What could go wrong?

The bridge over the Red at St Agathe (305) closes this week as well for projects in the area (Approx $40m)
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 4:54 PM

I was in Minnesota for the weekend and we shook it up and took 59 home...northbound 59 just across the border is immaculate for a long way. I was pleasantly surprised that a Canadian highway was better than the American counterpart. Also, I29 N of Grand Forks is a bloody disgrace. Insane that an interstate is so rough.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FactaNV View Post
I was in Minnesota for the weekend and we shook it up and took 59 home...northbound 59 just across the border is immaculate for a long way. I was pleasantly surprised that a Canadian highway was better than the American counterpart. Also, I29 N of Grand Forks is a bloody disgrace. Insane that an interstate is so rough.
agreed on I29 to GF being rough, i was very shocked. In saying that the 75 in in canada was downright scary at time with the chunks concrete missing

Old Posted Jun 3, 2024, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
agreed on I29 to GF being rough, i was very shocked. In saying that the 75 in in canada was downright scary at time with the chunks concrete missing
Ive avoided 75 like the plague since COVID. The maintenance issues are part of that calculation haha.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 8:00 AM

Quote:
Ive avoided 75 like the plague since COVID. The maintenance issues are part of that calculation haha.
Hwy 75 in general is in dire straits, considering it's a main highway. It probably is also in bad shape due to the river flooding. I'm hoping all of 75 gets repaved before 2030.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2024, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Substitute Manitoba for Canadian.

In other provinces, it's not uncommon for the provincial highway to be as good or even in better shape than its US highway counterpart. As an example, US-1 to Calais, ME is a winding 2-lane highway (though in good shape) with lots of commercial and private driveways; intersections. Cross over into St. Stephen, NB and once cleared customs, a driver enjoys a 4-lane fully divided control access highway with 110 km/h speed limit on NB-1 for the entirety of its length (240km).

NB-95 and I-95 in ME are comparable; as are BC-99 and I-5 in WA (though the median is much narrower on BC-99 with a cable barrier in place). As well, the highways around Niagara are better on the Ontario side vs. New York; same with Ontario and Michigan. There's no comparison between ON-401 through Windsor vs. I-75 in Detroit.

Quebec's highway were similar to Manitoba's vs. its American neighbours. Quebec is spending big $$$ on its highways. Once A-35 is finished, the drive north will be just as good as I-89 in Vermont. A-15 and A-55 are comparable to I-87 and I-91 respectively. Haven't driven Alberta and SK highways near the border, so can't comment.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 12:28 AM

Just returned from the US and 75 northbound is pretty good. Southbound north of Morris is under construction for most of the distance. South of Morris pretty bad and need work. I-29 north of Grand Forks has some pretty bad sections southbound as well.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2024, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn99 View Post
Just returned from the US and 75 northbound is pretty good. Southbound north of Morris is under construction for most of the distance. South of Morris pretty bad and need work. I-29 north of Grand Forks has some pretty bad sections southbound as well.
I think pieces of the road were missing, so it looks like they're now cementing over that on I-29

Old Posted Jun 10, 2024, 1:23 PM

it's been a few years since I drove #1 Wpg - whiteshell but did this weekend and very impressed, smooth cruising the whole way!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan