HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
That line crosses the Red Line at McNeil, Texas. With an extension of the overpass and a switched junction, commuter rail could extend to Downtown via the Red Line corridor.
Sure, but between 79 and the McNeil junction it runs right through the middle of Round Rock. And then once you're at the junction, you're at the red line, which is already capacity/time slot constrained (at least during commuting hours).

You could do it, but it's going to require a lot more than some parallel tracks alongside 79. You're probably still left needing to share the existing UP tracks between 79 and McNeil, and probably need to fully double track the red line at that point.

though you probably don't actually need any new infrastructure at the McNeil junction. I'm pretty sure freight can already switch from the UP tracks to the red line there.

Old Posted May 15, 2024, 11:12 PM

Austin to host 2025 MLS All-Star Game

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/austi...-all-star-game

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 3:38 PM

Austin Baseball Commission

https://www.atxmlb.com/

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX2030 View Post
Austin Baseball Commission

https://www.atxmlb.com/
They're imagining a stadium over Butler Park or Palmer/Long?

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 4:15 PM
World Traveler

I mean, I didn't realize we had an arched bridge and an observation tower over Lady Bird Lake. And that curved bridge coming from Cesar Chavez is a nice detail.

All jokes aside, I'm all about bringing MLB to Austin. Let's do it!

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:05 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Last time we got one of these with no names attached, Austin FC showed up 18 months later ...

Baseball is certainly the sport that would make the most sense given the NBA/NFL realities between other Texas cities.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Last time we got one of these with no names attached, Austin FC showed up 18 months later ...
If you click on the linked Facebook page, it looks like Matt Mackowiak is one of the admins, so presumably one of the founders. He's the chair of the Travis County GOP, and helped create Save Austin Now.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2024, 8:49 PM

It's gotta be a domed stadium if it actually comes here

I really wish we can build with the skyline in outfield but it will be very difficult

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

I really wish we can build with the skyline in outfield but it will be very difficult
Agreed on both fronts. Even including public land, the only remotely feasible spots to make that happen would be the Statesman site, Butler shores (right next to Zach Scott), a good chunk of Texas School for the Deaf, or Roy G. Guerrero park.

That said, I hesitate to say that either the statesman site or Butler shores actually have enough space, unless the stadium forwent quite a bit of parking or otherwise got very creative with it. Then unless there are some particularly influential people involved, I'm not sure how an MLB stadium would finally coax the sale of a chunk of TSD's land when nothing else has so far.

Roy G. Guerrero park seems like the most feasible candidate, though that's with the big caveat of requiring a large slice of public land (and likely enraging Austin's disc golf community).

Unfortunately, I'd say the closest to downtown that could realistically be expected is between 183 and 130, a bit north of the airport....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 9:01 PM

HOME-RUN IDEA?
Groups are working to bring MLB to Austin. How realistic is it?

By Justin Sayers – Senior Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
Jul 17, 2024

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...Pos=0#cxrecs_s

....For years, power brokers in the Austin area have privately discussed a potentially game-changing economic development project: Major League Baseball.

But it wasn't until this week — buoyed by the public launch of a grassroots effort aimed at drumming up fan support for an MLB expansion franchise — that those conversations are stepping out of the shadows.

"We are using every tool at our disposal to win over Major League Baseball," Williamson County Judge Bill Gravell said. "We played to win with Samsung. We're not playing games with this project. ... I'm dead serious."

Over the last two years, rumors have circulated about high-level meetings with MLB officials and team owners. Some big-name former players are said to be involved. But it's unclear if any local officials have met directly with MLB.....

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post

it would not be difficult at all

retractable roofs and glass walls are a thing

just google minute maid park open/close

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 11:50 PM

as a matter of fact the two most recent mlb parks loandepot in miami and globe life in arlington have designs that would work well at the aas lot

Old Posted Jul 17, 2024, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
as a matter of fact the two most recent mlb parks loandepot in miami and globe life in arlington have designs that would work well at the aas lot
They wouldn't fit. You would need to also buy the adjacent office buildings along Riverside.

It sounds like Williamson County might go hard for it. Not sure if they would be eyeing East or West Palmer.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 3:30 AM

concepts i should say as opposed to designs. ie glass wall past outfield and retractable roof

and yes you would have to scoop up all the adjacent lots on riverside (obviously)

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 3:42 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
It sounds like Williamson County might go hard for it. Not sure if they would be eyeing East or West Palmer.

This could be a massive kick start to the development of Robinson Ranch. Place something like a "Live! Austin" along (or very near the Cap Metro Red Line). You already have MoPac and the 45 toll as freeways in the area.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 5:57 AM

Don't love the idea of Williamson county but that Robinson Ranch area does make a ton of sense in terms of 1.) having empty land and 2.) being more likely to get some kind of financial package.

The Statesman site would just be way too expensive given that Austin will absolutely not give taxpayer money for this. The Domain area would be nice but I'm not sure what plots of land would work. Robinson Ranch is probably just as good as that area but with a lot more land to work with.

Hate the idea of putting out east as that area just isn't developed enough at this time.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 11:58 AM

I mean the expo center on the far east side would work but it’s too far from the center of population and likely season ticket holders.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2024, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf View Post
it would not be difficult at all

retractable roofs and glass walls are a thing

just google minute maid park open/close
I meant difficult as in finding a spot with the skyline in the outfield
--
Robinson Ranch seems to very ideal but I personally don't know much about the area except for Apple being near there.

Looks like CapMetro could potentially have a rail spot there.

Maybe if they can build like the Atlanta Braves with some short high rises in the outfield, then I would be all in for a ~35k capacity stadium

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:46 AM

Robinson's Ranch would be a perfect location + the idea of mid / high-rise development going in. God I hope this happens

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin