HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Walkley is the second facility, known as "Ottawa West". I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it does make sense when you look at their planning. A buddy of mine is retired from there but was a senior manager involved in setting this up several years ago. They own Hawthorne and is the original Ottawa depot from decades ago, and it was vastly undersized. While they navigated various internal and municipal roadblocks to build something new, they needed to do something more immediate as they were more than maxed on space. They knew they were going to build a second location in Kanata, so in the meantime, they found this empty warehouse space on Walkley nearby their current location. They split off the areas that would be served by Kanata and moved them into Walkley. So when this newbuild in Kanata is done, staff in Walkley will move as one unit over to there. He did say the plan was at one time that once Kanata was open, the old depot would move into Walkley and be renovated and move back, but who knows now as he's not there anymore. I know he said he hopes they just flatten Hawthorne and totally rebuild it.
Thanks for the intel. That makes a lot more sense.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation