HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 7:28 PM
DesignerGuy

My sister lives in KW and the level of new development is amazing for a city of that size. I live in Ottawa. Lived here since 1999 and honestly have never seen this level of development before. Towers are popping up everywhere and concentrating at LRT stations. Downtown residential development is particularly active with multiple large scale proposals and under construction projects. I wonder if this is not the case in most large Canadian cities across the country due to the rapid increase in population? Ottawa seems to be growing super fast........

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 11:16 PM
SUSPENDED

Compared to Edmonton and Calgary, Ottawa feels much more happening and economically successful.

Even KW is probably growing faster than any city NW of Barrie.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 11:19 PM
Go Tall or Go Home

Why the hate for Alberta cities UD ?
Just curious.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 11:39 PM
Back from the dead

I moved to Edmonton from Winnipeg for a bunch of reasons but the biggest ones were affordability coupled with the fact that I'd earn more money. And I earn far more in Edmonton doing the same thing I did in Winnipeg. Costs are roughly the same overall but with more money in my pocket. I don't regret the decision but the entire country has allowed costs to spiral out of control.

The worst thing about Alberta is just the provincial politics. I was shocked that people voted for the nutcase that runs this province (Danielle Smith) but generally that doesn't affect my life so I just plug my nose and deal with it. People coming here from overseas are in the same boat they'd be in no matter where they decided to settle in this country: If they didn't have money already, they're not going to have enough to get by. You're either among the top %5 or you're a member of the growing slave class in this country.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:06 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Hi Everyone, first post in a few years.

What's driving the unemployment in Alberta is just the sheer volume of people moving here. The job market is booming big time, we just have more people moving here than we have jobs for. Interesting times in this province.
It's really nice to have you back, Calgarian. Calgary representation on SSP is all but gone. Hopefully, you can update us with projects and general Calgary information when you have the time.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
You're either among the top %5 or you're a member of the growing slave class in this country.
That is the sad reality of the country and there really is no fix. If I was a younger Canadian I would really consider moving elsewhere. Nothing justifies the insanely high cost of living, taxes and unbalanced mass immigration. Things will only get worse. Canada is finished as a friendly place for the middle class.

Interesting cbc piece but they are really down playing things.
Video Link

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 3:01 PM
SUSPENDED

I liked Alberta. The sad reality is that aside from Montreal and Southern Ontario, Canada feels empty and devoid of economic opportunities. (Compared to Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana which I've been exploring: pick any random small town and the list of famous people, inventions, industry there vs small town Canada, especially in the West, is astonishing. Eg. Meadville PA.)

Ottawa Gatineau (the Quebec side does feel more like Alberta, overall less prosperity and more frontier vibes) simply has the infrastructure, architecture, history, mixed employment opportunities that makes me think this is an ambitious city that will eventually become Canada's third largest.)

I can understand the Alberta government's idea to grow Red Deer, even tripling its population would create a greater sense of unity between Edmonton and Calgary.

I think many of us "Old Stock" Canadians have relatives, distant cousins who moved West from Ontario and Quebec in the early twentieth century. . I found many United Empire Loyalist historical markers and cemeteries in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. I hope to return someday.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 11, 2024 at 3:18 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
Compared to Edmonton and Calgary, Ottawa feels much more happening and economically successful.

Even KW is probably growing faster than any city NW of Barrie.
Are you basing this on stats?

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 4:58 PM
SUSPENDED

No, because Stats Canada isn't accurate.

I'm basing it on real world observations, ie driving around new housing developments. Edmonton and Calgary are finally catching up to Ontario's growth from a decade ago.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:06 PM

Quote:

I'm basing it on real world observations, ie driving around new housing developments. Edmonton and Calgary are finally catching up to Ontario's growth from a decade ago.
k, thanks for the heads up on letting me know to take your future posts with a grain of salt.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:16 PM

Quote:
I liked Alberta. The sad reality is that aside from Montreal and Southern Ontario, Canada feels empty and devoid of economic opportunities. (Compared to Western Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana which I've been exploring: pick any random small town and the list of famous people, inventions, industry there vs small town Canada, especially in the West, is astonishing. Eg. Meadville PA.)

Ottawa Gatineau (the Quebec side does feel more like Alberta, overall less prosperity and more frontier vibes) simply has the infrastructure, architecture, history, mixed employment opportunities that makes me think this is an ambitious city that will eventually become Canada's third largest.)
Montreal feels more economically dynamic than Alberta and the lower mainland? I understand preferring it as a place to live, but I’m not sure about it being more economically opportunity-rich. I also have to think that Ottawa, which is at the moment the sixth largest CMA and the second-slowest growing of those six (behind only Montreal over the past few years) is not likely to become third largest.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 5:40 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
It's really nice to have you back, Calgarian. Calgary representation on SSP is all but gone. Hopefully, you can update us with projects and general Calgary information when you have the time.
second that perspective!

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:21 PM

Quote:

Edmonton and Calgary have been two of the fastest growing big cities in Canada for several decades.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:51 PM
Great White Norf

After the early 80s oil collapse, Calgary and Edmonton have basically grown non stop for 4 decades (city of Edmonton had a slow/stagnant period 1991-1996 but the Metro kept growing)

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 8:53 PM
SUSPENDED

Sure, but by third largest, I'm thinking long term: It's 2094, Quebec has separated, so Toronto is around 15 million, Calgary is at 8 million and Ottawa at 7 million. Brampton and Mississauga have merged into a city of 5 million. Montreal has separated to become a city state at 6 million. Kitchener - 4 million, Waterloo 2 million and Cambridge 2 million are still separate cities with distinctly different demographics. Vermont is seriously contemplating annexing Quebec. Meanwhile, Surrey is the Capital of Indian Columbia with a population of 5 million, Vancouver has stagnated at 1 million and Vancouver Island is its own province.

I used to live in a basement apartment in Waterloo with over 20 people sharing a bungalow. When the census was taken, only 3 people officially were counted. I imagine similar undercounts occur in Brampton, Guelph, Kitchener today.

Last edited by urbandreamer; May 11, 2024 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:04 PM
Great White Norf

There's no way to predict 20-30 years into the future let alone 70 years

Okotoks could be well over 300,000 people and actually live up to its sign "there are a number of things to do"

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:13 PM
SUSPENDED

If the immigration minister is contemplating giving permanent residency to all these TFW, that means 1 million SA men will bring their (arranged marriage) wives to Canada, their extended families and 2-4 offspring. Three generations from now that means an additional 25 million, but we know the CI is 100 million, so that'll include 10-30 million Russian Ukrainian Sudanese Eritrean South American Palestinian refugees

Of course the Laurentian Elite don't gaf, because their descendants will still be in charge. Justin Trudeau and Ben Mulroney's grand children will be PM for decades.

The only real question: will an independent Quebec result in it ironically becoming an official bilingual country, with business English mandatory for survival?

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
The only real question: will an independent Quebec result in it ironically becoming an official bilingual country, with business English mandatory for survival?
Them’s fightin’ words for Acajack!

You’d better keep your car in your garage for the next few weeks or else you might find your tires slashed.......

BTW, where did he go on vacation? To the Galapagos??? He’s been completely incommunicado.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
Hi Everyone, first post in a few years.

What's driving the unemployment in Alberta is just the sheer volume of people moving here. The job market is booming big time, we just have more people moving here than we have jobs for. Interesting times in this province.
Hey Calgarian, welcome back!

It is so great to again get a voice from our 4th largest city and a very dynamic and likeable one to boot. Please let us know everything that's going on in Calgary and Alberta in general.

Old Posted May 11, 2024, 9:52 PM
SUSPENDED

Yeah, Calgary has the most attractive and friendliest women in Canada. If I didn't have stupidly rare health problems, I'd move to Alberta tomorrow. I really liked Lethbridge and Medicine Hat, although I understand they're insular conservative Christian/Mormon strongholds. Somewhere around 17th Avenue/Elbow/14th St area ideally, or maybe a cute 1960s Haysboro bungalow.

If I had any brains, I'd also consider Queen Alexandria or Bonnie Doon or Queen Mary Park areas of Edmonton. I was reading my grandmother's letters recently from her years teaching at UAlberta, with an interesting take on Edmonton, and really, the Greater Prairies (she got around by Greyhound.)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada