HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 2:31 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Dexel tends to finish their projects quite well.Their buildings are distinct in their quality.
Great to hear. Hoping it ties in well with the Queen's Marque materials!

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Great to hear. Hoping it ties in well with the Queen's Marque materials!
I don't have high hopes.
From my understanding they will be using the same ceramic tile (made to look like stone) that they used on their Hollis Project.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I don't have high hopes.
From my understanding they will be using the same ceramic tile (made to look like stone) that they used on their Hollis Project.
If a significant amount of this becomes PNS office space as I expect it will not be high-quality materials like real stone. The low-bid mentality will prevent that.

Old Posted May 7, 2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I don't have high hopes.
The plans for both said "manufactured stone cladding," but their appearance in renderings is somewhat different (it's plainer in the Press Block).

It would be unfortunate if they use cladding similar to the Flynn Flats, but in fairness I'm not sure there's anything wrong with the quality of that finishes-I think the patterning just looks silly and a bit excessive. I hope they go for a more natural and simpler stone appearance, which would be much better-suited to the area. But I strongly doubt it will look cheap or insubstantial; I can't think of a single Dexel project like that, and this is a very central, marquee project for them. I'm optimistic.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 12:08 PM

Biking by this morning I see they're using the same Muntz metal on the upper floors as was used on Queens Marque, which is great because I really like how it looks.

However, interestingly, Armour Group is suing their cladding supplier and FBM over the Muntz metal and its premature deterioration. It does seem like there's a fair bit of deterioration in areas of the building with heavy exposure to road salt. Luckily the areas it's being used on the Press Block are far from any sources of salt.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Biking by this morning I see they're using the same Muntz metal on the upper floors as was used on Queens Marque, which is great because I really like how it looks.

However, interestingly, Armour Group is suing their cladding supplier and FBM over the Muntz metal and its premature deterioration. It does seem like there's a fair bit of deterioration in areas of the building with heavy exposure to road salt. Luckily the areas it's being used on the Press Block are far from any sources of salt.
Interesting. Do you know if the idea is to replace it on Queen's Marque on an accelerated timeline? (I've noticed weathering too--to some degree it's expected and part of the aesthetic, but I was wondering if it was happening faster than expected).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 3:02 PM

I’m a little confused, as I thought the main reason for the existence of the Muntz metal alloy was its anti corrosion properties. Are you saying that it is actually corroding and pitting, or just that its surface appearance is changing (as expected?) due to tarnishing (as is common with brass alloys)? Or, does it have a clear coat that is peeling off?

I’m curious whether there is an actual problem, or did the developer just not understand the properties of the material. Or, perhaps there is a degree of maintenance that is required?

I say this without familiarity or much knowledge of the product, so it’s an opportunity to learn.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I’m a little confused, as I thought the main reason for the existence of the Muntz metal alloy was its anti corrosion properties. Are you saying that it is actually corroding and pitting, or just that its surface appearance is changing (as expected?) due to tarnishing (as is common with brass alloys)? Or, does it have a clear coat that is peeling off?

I’m curious whether there is an actual problem, or did the developer just not understand the properties of the material. Or, perhaps there is a degree of maintenance that is required?

I say this without familiarity or much knowledge of the product, so it’s an opportunity to learn.
Much of Queens Marque seems to be tarnishing gracefully as expected, but if you go down to the pass-throughs where the boardwalk goes through the building there is some heavy corrosion. To my untrained eye it looks like whatever they're using for "road" salt reacts badly with the metal and in those particular locations something about the enclosed space is accelerating the interaction. The unfortunate part is that it happens to be there area where they've done all sorts of custom engraving in the metal as public art.

There's also a little bit of it on the top of the "Rise Again" structure where the side walls meet the stairs.

If someone doesn't get to it sooner I'll take some pics on my next lunchtime wander and post them to the Queens Marque thread.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2024, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Much of Queens Marque seems to be tarnishing gracefully as expected, but if you go down to the pass-throughs where the boardwalk goes through the building there is some heavy corrosion. To my untrained eye it looks like whatever they're using for "road" salt reacts badly with the metal and in those particular locations something about the enclosed space is accelerating the interaction. The unfortunate part is that it happens to be there area where they've done all sorts of custom engraving in the metal as public art.

There's also a little bit of it on the top of the "Rise Again" structure where the side walls meet the stairs.

If someone doesn't get to it sooner I'll take some pics on my next lunchtime wander and post them to the Queens Marque thread.
Thanks for the info. I'll look forward to any pics that you or somebody may post as I haven't been downtown in some time. Perhaps I should make it a point to see it for myself!

I do find it confusing that 'road salt' might affect the Muntz Metal, as resistance to corrosion in salty conditions is supposed to be its super power.

https://rotaxmetals.net/muntz-metal-...ve-properties/

Quote:
Saltwater Corrosion Resistance – Saltwater corrodes most metals ten times faster than freshwater does. Therefore, the type of metal used to make boat sheathing must also be at least ten times more resistant than typical metals. Muntz metal is found to have such ability, which is why it is also used for marine applications other than sheathing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 1:01 PM
Cap the Cut!

Old Posted Aug 26, 2024, 1:03 PM

Kind of surprised there's no balconies at all.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth