HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Best-ever Canadian punk band album:
Video Link

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 2:09 AM
Registered Drug User

I've stumbled on to something big here: the headquarters for ISIS and Carfax on a seedy sidestreet in Hamilton. Always thought there was something suspicious about Carfax, and this confirms it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2586...8192?entry=ttu

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 12:33 AM

Jeremy Taggart (Our Lady Peace), Ed Robertson (Bare Naked Ladies), Ryan Gullen (Sheepdogs), Terra Lightfoot and Robin Hatch take on Fly at Night by Chilliwack in this episode of Canadian Classics.

Video Link

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 1:25 PM
Ham-burgher

Chilliwack is fantastic. A very under-rated band.

That was a nice cover.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 1:41 PM

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 2:10 PM
Mooderator

I remember seeing OLP play at Carleton right before they got big. They played in a venue the size of a cafeteria.

Old Posted May 8, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I remember seeing OLP play at Carleton right before they got big. They played in a venue the size of a cafeteria.
I saw Luba and her band playing in a cafeteria.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:29 AM

the guy in the first clip looks familiar but I can't figure out who it is. anyone know?

Video Link

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
the guy in the first clip looks familiar but I can't figure out who it is. anyone know?
Robin Ward, from game shows and The Starlost

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 1:47 AM

Lots of well known Canadian actors in those spots. There's Lynne Griffin for Shopper's Drug Mart. The famous Rez woodstain spot with Les Rubie where you would exaggerate the word Rez when he did and wait for the final crazy laugh. For some reason a lot of people miss Street Legal's Sonja Smits in the commercial in the kitchen. Canada's sweetheart Karen Magnussen for Life Brand. Unfortunately, she got pretty messed up by an ammonia leak at an arena where she was coaching in BC. That's just to name a few.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
Robin Ward, from game shows and The Starlost
At least now I know why my reaction was "it sort of looks like Keir Dullea" - I must have had Starlost in the back of my mind.

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
At least now I know why my reaction was "it sort of looks like Keir Dullea" - I must have had Starlost in the back of my mind.
I think we have posted about Robin Ward in this thread but he doesn't look like Keir Dullea

Old Posted May 9, 2024, 3:36 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Video Link
So... many... flashbacks

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 12:27 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

R.I.P Rex Murphy.

Rex Murphy 1947 - 2024.

Those of us from Newfoundland were aware of him before the rest of Canada; an impressive writer, political critic, radio host, and speaker, he did not always express my more liberal views, but yet, his offerings were an important part of our national landscape, political, and even global discussions. In his earlier years, he was both a Conservative and Liberal candidate, and thought P.E.T. was perhaps the greatest Canadian.

Quote:
Rex Murphy, the sharp-witted intellectual who loved Canada, dies at 77

Even while he battled his illness, Murphy still filed in recent months, writing about Hamas and Christmas and interviewing Pierre Poilievre with his distinctive panache . . .

He was born in Newfoundland in 1947, before that province even was a province, to Harry and Marie Murphy, the second of five children, in Carbonear, although he grew up in the community of Freshwater, about 10 minutes up the highway. He skipped two grades and eventually, in 1968, headed to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar, before returning home and, after bailing on a Master of English degree, done in by the endless necessity of footnotes referring to 17th-century poetry, settling into a media career.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada...-dies-obituary

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 1:45 AM

I'm surprised he was only 77. I would have guessed considerably older.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 2:03 AM

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 8:40 AM

Quote:
There's Lynne Griffin for Shopper's Drug Mart.
Coincidence that I just watched Strange Brew

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 8:44 PM

Quote:
I think we have posted about Robin Ward in this thread but he doesn't look like Keir Dullea
A couple of pages ago, and I agree he looks nothing like Dullea. Speaking of Dullea and Lynne Griffin, everything comes full circle, for both were in the evergreen horror masterpiece Black Christmas, she as the first victim, who is bagged and tagged in the closet, and he as the ostensible killer pianist/red herring.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gresto View Post
A couple of pages ago, and I agree he looks nothing like Dullea. Speaking of Dullea and Lynne Griffin, everything comes full circle, for both were in the evergreen horror masterpiece Black Christmas, she as the first victim, who is bagged and tagged in the closet, and he as the ostensible killer pianist/red herring.
I quickly scanned Black Christmas a few times years ago. I remembered Lynne Griffin but not Keir Dullea.

It's hard to be typecast in Canada, Lynne has played just about everything from commercials to horror to Shakespeare to comedy to dramatic motion pictures. I didn't know she was the daughter of actress Kay Griffin and is married to ubiquitous Canadian actor Sean Sullivan.

Here's a different appearance for Lynne I didn't know about. She plays a character in one of David Copperfield's most famous specials: The Magic of David Copperfield V (1983) Vanishing the Statue of Liberty. These were highly rated in the US back in the day

Start at 27 minutes

The Magic of David Copperfield V

Last edited by elly63; May 10, 2024 at 9:42 PM.

Old Posted May 10, 2024, 10:19 PM

That Copperfield special was interesting. I looked at the credits and IMDB to see if the studio stuff was shot in Canada but didn't find anything. I noticed some Canadian actors aside from Lynne and guest Eugene Levy. Without looking closer I saw Michael J Reynolds. The show was directed by long time CBCer Ron Meraska. I also noticed 1983 was still old school TV, they were keying in graphics cards for the voice over commercials at the end.

Doing some research on Meraska (who I thought also did HNIC) I found an interesting article on Lorne Michaels by Kliph Nesteroff. It posits that SNL was derived from the CBC's The Hart and Lorne Terrific Hour. Hart of course was lawyer Hart Pomerantz (brother of Hollywood Canadian writer Earl Pomerantz: MTM, Taxi, Cheers) and famous for This is The Law a noted Canadian panel show of the 70s.

Nesteroff has written some interesting off beat stuff including some celebrity interviews that go into the inside story. For instance I always wanted to know what happened to my favourite hockey announcer growing up, Bill Hewitt. Nesteroff lays out the story.

Live from Another Country
How the CBC blew its chance to create Saturday Night Live
Kliph Nesteroff thewalrus.ca April. 8, 2020

Foster's Shadow: The On-Air Meltdown of Bill Hewitt
Kliph Nesteroff WFMU's Beware of the Blog July 17, 2011

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada