HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarbingerDe View Post
I'm pretty sure King's Wharf and a number of other infill projects around the harbour are also mostly pyritic slate dumps.
Well, yes, of course they are. What's your point?

Old Posted Apr 14, 2024, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
OK, it makes sense that there needs to be a location to dispose of the slate. What I do not know is whether the cove as it currently is has much depth or any use as a marine site if unchanged. I look at that abandoned pier just south of the Macdonald bridge and wonder if perhaps that might be a useful site for such things. Or some other location outside of the city.
I’ve always wondered whether infill could be added in Bedford basin along the route of the CN tracks so that a dedicated commuter rail line could be created

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
I’ve always wondered whether infill could be added in Bedford basin along the route of the CN tracks so that a dedicated commuter rail line could be created
Sounds like a good idea but I wonder if there is enough ROW next to the CN easement once you get inland - unless there was another route that could be followed, like maybe cutting into the active trails a little to benefit moving more people with commuter rail? Or maybe convert some of the BRT ROWs to accommodate both bus and rail traffic?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
Here's my little rant:
If you own a house in the middle of a growing city CENTER, why not sell and move out of the city center if what you want is no development, no high rises, no traffic etc etc. Why stay and fight against every single development that could actually bring economic oxygen to a stagnant economy. Atlantic Canada needs a major city. Nova Scotia needs a major city. Major cities are the heart and lungs of any regional economic ecosystem. The city center of Halifax and Dartmouth need major developments. Infills like kings wharf are driving the future of Halifax for the betterment of all Atlantic Canada
In a democratic society, people have the right to voice opposition to plans that affect their lives, including what happens around their home. A democratic government's job is to weigh the needs and concerns of their communities and decide which is the best course of action. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong, and the citizens of the democracy get to decide whether the courses of action were the right ones, through voting in democratic elections.

Suggesting that people should move out of their homes because somebody else wants to decide what's best for them would be taking away their right to participate in the democracy, wouldn't it?

Also, FWIW, King's Wharf was a converted industrial site that already had some degree of infill. As far as Dartmouth Cove is concerned, the plan doesn't seem clear at the moment, although it does look like a good opportunity to extend the planned development of the Canal St. area right to the water.

I guess we'll see what happens as more info comes out.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:23 PM

Just suggesting it. It's what I would do. If too many high rises are going up around me and I don't like it, I would seriously consider selling and buying a place in an area that is more suited to my small town preferences.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musquodoboit County View Post
Just suggesting it. It's what I would do. If too many high rises are going up around me and I don't like it, I would seriously consider selling and buying a place in an area that is more suited to my small town preferences.
Perhaps that's what some people will do. However, I do think it would put you in a difficult situation. You could sell the house you love in the neighbourhood that you love only to find that there are no other houses available in neighbourhoods that you like as much, or maybe none are available or you couldn't afford it. A housing crisis means that it's difficult for anybody to move because the supply just isn't there. Sometimes it's not as easy as saying "just do this or that".

Me, I would just stay in my home, accepting that buildings will be built around me and adapt to it. However not everybody is the same...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth