HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:13 PM

Census data mapping tool

Oh wow. This is a fantastic resource:

https://edumaps.esri.ca/census/

Welcome to the Canadian Neighbourhood Change Explorer!
The portal leverages newly created and liberated Census datasets to provide new insights into how urban neighbourhoods across Canada have changed over the past 70 years.

The UNI-CEN database contains a wide range of data from the 15 Censuses taken every five years between 1951 and 2021 period. This portal presents a curated selection of these data at the census tract level. Census tracts are neighbourhood-sized areas containing an average of approximately 4,000 people. Statistics Canada started releasing Census data at the census tract level in 1951 and has continued to do so every five years, adding more cities and tracts as Canadian cities have become larger and the Canadian population has become more urban.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 4:41 PM

Thanks Uhuniau! This seems like a great tool. Worth having the Census Mapper here as well:

https://censusmapper.ca/maps/3054#12/45.4126/-75.7222

I'd love to see the CBD separated from the Escarpment District. I imagine the Escarpment has to be the densest neighbourhood in Ottawa, if not now, certainly once Relevé and Renaissance are completed.

I sticked the thread to the top of the General Discussions since these links could be useful tools in many debates.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Thanks Uhuniau! This seems like a great tool. Worth having the Census Mapper here as well:

https://censusmapper.ca/maps/3054#12/45.4126/-75.7222

I'd love to see the CBD separated from the Escarpment District. I imagine the Escarpment has to be the densest neighbourhood in Ottawa, if not now, certainly once Relevé and Renaissance are completed.

I sticked the thread to the top of the General Discussions since these links could be useful tools in many debates.
Interesting - there are lots of areas where the population density is officially fairly low - but they include land that's excluded from having any housing - which really skews the numbers down.

For example - the Experimental Farm and Dows Lake are split between the surrounding neighborhoods. The neighbourhood just south of Baseline and east of Fisher is included in that - and is listed as 930 people sq/km. However it contains some large apartment towers and it's a relatively dense suburb. Just by looking at it I would guess the land zoned for residential is already above 5000 people sq/km.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecyo View Post
Interesting - there are lots of areas where the population density is officially fairly low - but they include land that's excluded from having any housing - which really skews the numbers down.

For example - the Experimental Farm and Dows Lake are split between the surrounding neighborhoods. The neighbourhood just south of Baseline and east of Fisher is included in that - and is listed as 930 people sq/km. However it contains some large apartment towers and it's a relatively dense suburb. Just by looking at it I would guess the land zoned for residential is already above 5000 people sq/km.
There's a lot that should probably be further broken down, honestly.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
There's a lot that should probably be further broken down, honestly.
I'll take this level of geographic granularity, especially given the chronological coverage of the data set.

The population density change of central National Capital Region between 1956 and now is a fun one.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
I'll take this level of geographic granularity, especially given the chronological coverage of the data set.

The population density change of central National Capital Region between 1956 and now is a fun one.
That makes sense. Would be sharp if we could shrink and expand borders ourselves.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:51 PM

Cool tool.
Damn, looks like they found gold in Wellington Village. Household income tripled in 5 years.
Or maybe someone REALLY wealthy moved in (they use average instead of median for some reason)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion