HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:11 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

I think in regards to Los Angeles and the Bay Area, I've encountered a mix from my travels. Globally, I've mostly heard "I'm from California" first and then "LA" or "San Francisco" once that convo has started. Nationally, I rarely hear white people say "I'm from the Bay Area." They'll usually start off with "California," then "near San Francisco" or something like that. Black folks will say "The Bay" real-quick. That isn't true with Los Angeles. Everyone I've met outside of Los Angeles (all races) will say "LA" or "Orange County."

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:34 AM

Interesting discussion. Any other places where the state brand is more popular than the city brand? Maybe Texas?

Arizona people always say they're from Arizona instead of the city.

Utah and Colorado have stronger brands than their primate cities.

But nobody says they're from Nevada...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Interesting discussion. Any other places where the state brand is more popular than the city brand? Maybe Texas?

Arizona people always say they're from Arizona instead of the city.

Utah and Colorado have stronger brands than their primate cities.

But nobody says they're from Nevada...
Delaware

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 6:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
Detroit brand is not as bad as it was in the past, right? And Americans usually have this kinda of blue collar pride. Why Detroiters are different in this regard? I ask this assuming they're trying to hide Detroit behind Michigan.
Michigan and Ohio have about the same total population, but Detroit dominates Michigan (sort of like how Chicago dominates Illinois) whereas Ohio's population is scattered between three metros of 2 million and a dozen smaller cities.

The auto industry + Detroit's music legacy (natives + Motown records) + northern Michigan cottages/ice fishing/etc. = Michigan's shared culture. Ohio is a lot different because there is no single industry concentrated in Ohio and then the state's substantial music legacy (which arguably exceeds Michigan's) is scattered between many different places.

The origins of funk and hip-hop came out of Dayton and Cincinnati (Ohio Players, Zapp, James Brown & the King Records house band). Much of the sound of 1990s rock music originated in Dayton (Nirvana is mostly a rip-off of The Breeders and Kim Deal's contributions to The Pixies). Nine Inch Nails and Marilyn Manson were both from the Cleveland area.

Getting back to my point in an earlier post, Detroit bands don't hesitate to talk about Detroit in their songs. This one from 1997 is like the most Detroit-centric song of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvTz7n-MXw

Ohio groups don't talk about Ohio...except for this one:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CtMwkAPp2Up/

I saw them live about 8 times. It was...unbelievable.

Last edited by jmecklenborg; Mar 6, 2024 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Everyone I ever met from the Detroit area said they were from Detroit.
It's been pretty mixed in my experience. I have noticed that people younger than 40 tend to say "Michigan" more than "Detroit". And there might be a class element too. I think people from affluent suburbs are more likely to describe themselves as being from "Michigan" instead of "Detroit" or the Detroit area.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:03 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Maybe you guys are just hostile to Lions or Tigers but like Wolverines and Spartans?
More than football or baseball, the real chicago-detroit sports rivalry back in the day was hockey (hawks/wings goes back to the O6 days) or b-ball (MJ vs. the bad boys).

Sadly, the hawks and wings no longer play in the same conference/division, and bulls/pistons has been pretty lame for awhile.

So there's not a whole lot there anymore......

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 7:50 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
It's been pretty mixed in my experience. I have noticed that people younger than 40 tend to say "Michigan" more than "Detroit". And there might be a class element too. I think people from affluent suburbs are more likely to describe themselves as being from "Michigan" instead of "Detroit" or the Detroit area.
I think it's class and race. I've known some successful young black folks from Metro Detroit who live in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham who still say Detroit before Michigan.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
I think it's class and race. I've known some successful young black folks from Metro Detroit who live in Bloomfield Hills and Birmingham who still say Detroit before Michigan.
Yeah, that makes sense. Black Metro Detroiters of any age or class are likely to have closer ties to the city than white Metro Detroiters.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 9:52 PM

Quote:
Um, if anything people younger than 40 are much more likely to claim the city. I don't think affluence makes much difference.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2024, 10:17 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Quote:
Yeah, that makes sense. Black Metro Detroiters of any age or class are likely to have closer ties to the city than white Metro Detroiters.
I would agree with both points discussed above. Though there are a few qualifiers and amendments I would like to add in. One depends on where you live I’ve tended to see more white, black or brown folks from inner ring burbs call themselves Detroiters as over the past 15-20. This isn’t universal but I would say in the north white folk who live south of 696 & west of Telegraph or and are under 35 generally are more likely to feel a Detroiter.

I would argue several factors supporting this. The struggle of deindustrialization hitting the inner ring burbs hard as well as the rise of urban culture as cool along with emigration from Detroit by black Detroiters has forged cultural connections with white suburbanites.

The final breakdown of DPS in the 00’s which saw many black middle class Detroiters and or those with family in the burbs sending their kids to suburban schools also helped break down to a degree the hard set barrier between city and suburb. In my circle of friends two were from the city we met them skateboarding around the Farmington night school where they were taking classes. We all liked to ride boards and they were good at it and cool so there wasn’t a big cultural gap. Though my first experience hanging out at home with my one friend was an eye opener even though my parents made sure I grew up was familiar with where they grew up & spending time downtown going to restaurants n such that they as a kid.

There certainly is and has been a class divide that people who have a lot in common find themselves not understanding each other due to. I remember when DTE cut off power to my friends place his mom was struggling to pay the bills and he got in trouble hustling, he wanted get the lights back on instead of running a cord from the abando next door. He had a little sister in middle school and wanted her to be able to study without a flashlight and not freeze in the winter.

As for the broader out of town introduction experience there’s a reaction you get when you say I’m from Detroit, I think everyone who has lived in the area knows what I’m talking about. I’m stubborn and proud of where I come from even if I grew up fortunate in Farmington Hills I consider myself a Detroiter. We didn’t have much money growing up we got lucky buying a trashed house in a great neighborhood and spent the next 20 years renovating it ourselves. My dad went back to school when he was in his 30’s to get his masters in engineering so most of our spare cash went towards that.

Fortunately it worked out he was able to transfer to a job he could stand at Ford after the company in Saginaw went bankrupt & after Allen Mually took over the model of management changed. The older and more experienced employees weren’t constantly under pressure to take the buyout and his experience in engineering and solving problems got him moved to a management position consumer safety looking at lawsuits from an engineering perspective and helping decide a course of action / giving depositions.

Though we nearly made the same mistakes that saw too many of my friends fall out of the middle class during the recession. We didn’t take out a mortgage to buy a bigger house in the 2000’s being the big one so when hard times hit he had a job that would last for 10 years plus dealing with product concerns and deciding if Ford was liable or not even if they went bankrupt. When my mom lost her benefits in 05 and Ford was looking like it was the sick man we got lucky and didn’t buy a new home in a more expensive market out of state.

However setting aside my personal take and experiences I do agree that there is a cultural divide still in place despite all my arguments that it’s been breaking down to a degree, it certainly is outside of the middle ring burbs. There’s also the feeling that even if you feel like a Detroiter that same reaction people give you out of town some people revel in and make that a part of their personalities. Even though I’ve lived in the city for two years now that I’ve moved back to Farmington Hills I feel the need to say I’m from Farmington otherwise I feel like I’m fronting.

To sum matters up if regional integration and cooperation continues to expand especially better mass transportation that would go a long way to truly making the region feel in it together. Better opportunities and ease of movement would go a ways to helping lower real and perceived barriers, the city’s revival has begun the process in creating pride in from being from here again. This tie into the greater national narrative while the media will do what they do the lack of familiarity with the city by many suburbanites leads to friends and family who visit from out of state getting an unbalanced experience if they visit the city.

I’ve had personal friends from Germany visit and me and my friends showed them where we liked to hang out and some of the cool and beautiful places in the city. While another friend who comes from a conservative Jewish family took their relatives into the city and when they were shocked by the blight they didn’t know that just down the street is a beautiful residential neighborhood or a mile away is a cool commercial strip. While this isn’t universally true especially on this forum some of the most anti-Michigan and Detroit people are Michigan expats who left for their own reasons many quite legitimate but the region is stuck in time and the sensational media coverage of Detroit blight reinforces that image.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 6:58 PM

Anedotally when travelling internationally my experience is that if you live in southern Ontario, even as far south as London, people generally say "close to Toronto" or some such. Especially if you are in the US, if you say "Ontario" people tend to think you are from suburban LA, and you definitely can't say "London" as they will think it's the UK.. and most people have never heard of any of the other parts of Southern Ontario.

The one exception is Ottawa area.

Some times I go as far as just saying "Canada" - which is kind of ridiculous but honestly for a lot of people internationally is as granular as they will understand where I live geographically.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:10 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Anedotally when travelling internationally my experience is that if you live in southern Ontario, even as far south as London, people generally say "close to Toronto" or some such. Especially if you are in the US, if you say "Ontario" people tend to think you are from suburban LA, and you definitely can't say "London" as they will think it's the UK.. and most people have never heard of any of the other parts of Southern Ontario.
I can picture people from Windsor saying "in Canada across from/close to Detroit".

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:11 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

I think people from Ottawa when abroad will say something like "I'm from Ottawa, Canada's capital". Assuming that a lot of people won't intuitively just recognize Ottawa by itself.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 7:37 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:

Some times I go as far as just saying "Canada" - which is kind of ridiculous but honestly for a lot of people internationally is as granular as they will understand where I live geographically.
When abroad (even in the US not even that far from the border) I tell people I am from "Canada" when they ask where I'm from.

Except when in France or other French-speaking countries. There I tell them I'm from Quebec. Though they don't really have to ask and in fact never do.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 6:01 AM

Quote:

That seems par for the course. I haven't been too far from the US, but when I have, it was easiest to just say that I was from the United States.

I remember being in Iceland and a local asked me and my friends where we were from. First, we said Delaware, but they had never heard of it. So we said we were from near Philadelphia, and they had never heard of Philadelphia. So we told them we lived near New York City and Washington DC, and that finally got through to this person.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I can picture people from Windsor saying "in Canada across from/close to Detroit".
That is exactly what I say when abroad.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 1:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
That is exactly what I say when abroad.
I live in Gatineau and everyone anywhere people speak French in Canada people will know this city (all of Quebec plus bordering areas of Ontario and New Brunswick).

But further afield deeper into Anglo-Canada I do something similar to you. I typically say "in Quebec across the river from Ottawa".

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
If I'm travelling in the U.S. I'll say "Windsor, Ontario" and I've been surprised by the number of Americans I've met who have heard of it and know where it is. But yes, for those of them who seem perplexed then I'll just say "across the river from Detroit" lol.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 7:00 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
If I'm travelling in the U.S. I'll say "Windsor, Ontario" and I've been surprised by the number of Americans I've met who have heard of it and know where it is. But yes, for those of them who seem perplexed then I'll just say "across the river from Detroit" lol.
In the Eastern Midwest/Great Lakes, everyone knows Windsor for multiple reasons much like Tijuana. Windsor is Canada for a lot of people.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 9:36 PM
Doc Love 3.0

Quote:

I can do nothing but smile as I read this.

Gil Scott Heron - We almost lost Detroit - 1966 Fermi 1
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cpNUqNe0U5g

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions