HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 13, 2023, 4:36 AM

I fully agree with your point and there indeed should be discussions with area municipalities about transportation and development issues. However I only see this become a reality through regional government for all of Middlesex, and/or St Thomas Northern Elgin. There's lots of competing interests, we have a patch work of municipalities that that can work against each other and no cohesive government to have a plan for it all. Until that changes were stuck with what we got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammer139 View Post
This conversation will get louder in the future with all the bedroom towns surrounding the city and their rapid growth. Already we see this in Arva with sewage treatment costs and the Kilworth, Komoka, Mt Bridges corridor is just starting. Middlesex County and the City need to start talking seriously about these issues.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/londo...neck-1.6807098

Old Posted Sep 13, 2023, 8:10 PM

Project page with Final report for the proposed upgrade of Oxford and Gideon.

https://getinvolved.london.ca/oxfordgideon

Preliminary cost estimate for the multi-lane roundabout is $5.3M.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Project page with Final report for the proposed upgrade of Oxford and Gideon.

Preliminary cost estimate for the multi-lane roundabout is $5.3M.
obviously the only solution is to build another route to hyde park. but lets pay these idiots talk this nonsense for the next 20 years

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 2:39 PM

Jammer. Do you know what the hold up is with the development on the oxford and W.B. corner? it looked like they were ready to roll a year ago

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76samian View Post
Jammer. Do you know what the hold up is with the development on the oxford and W.B. corner? it looked like they were ready to roll a year ago
I know at one point they dropped the gas bar from the proposal, I wonder if Wendy's has backed out now? The 2019 planning application doesn't have any info on it on the city site, not sure if there is another application on there that the search didn't bring up.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 5:38 PM

I suspect they have not secured tenants and will not start construction until they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I know at one point they dropped the gas bar from the proposal, I wonder if Wendy's has backed out now? The 2019 planning application doesn't have any info on it on the city site, not sure if there is another application on there that the search didn't bring up.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 5:52 PM

Quote:
I suspect they have not secured tenants and will not start construction until they do.
I'm not even sure what they changed their plans to after removing the gas station. It was going to be a Pioneer gas bar and store and a Wendy's in a separate building. I never saw any other planning diagrams come out replacing the gas bar with anything else. I can only assume Wendy's pulled out or the landlord would have pushed to get it built by now. I looked back in the thread to when we talked about this and it was Dec 2021 when they said they cancelled the gas bar.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2023, 7:28 PM

This is a Westdell Dev project (yes on Westdel Brne sorry, I had to throw in that dad joke) and this is the most recent site-plan on the site. There is a Wendy's, and no gas bar.

https://www.westdellcorp.com/wp-cont...-Site-Plan.pdf

Old Posted Nov 9, 2023, 5:45 PM

The 2nd public information centre for the Oxford widening study will be in December. The content in that PIC can be found in a presentation to the city's citizen transportation advisory committee meeting, taking place next week.

Summary:
  • Oxford will be widened to 4 lanes from Sanitorium to Westdel, along with a centre median or left turn lanes where needed
  • Oxford at Kains/Commissioners and Oxford at Westdel will not be converted to roundabouts, as speculated at the 1st public meeting. They will remain as traffic signals
  • Looks like dual-left turns are proposed from NB Commissioners to WB Oxford and SB Kains to EB Oxford
  • in-boulevard bike paths will be provided in both directions from Sanitorium to Westdel. There is space on the existing Thames River bridge to do this
  • Thames River bridge will not be widened (to include a cantilever) in the interim. This will save $5 to $7 million. From the presentation: "Today, pedestrians use the multi-use path on the south side of the bridge. At this time, there is limited need for a pedestrian facility on the north side of the bridge. A cantilever will be constructed when there is pedestrian demand on the north side of Oxford Street West between Kains Road and Sanatorium Road (e.g., land use change, key destinations)."

Presentation: https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=104597

Draft sketch/rendering of road: https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...umentId=104598

Last edited by CanadianTalk; Nov 9, 2023 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 10:06 PM

The city will be constructing a roundabout at the intersection of Oxford and Gideon this year.

A public update meeting will be held on Feb 15 which will highlight the design and construction plans.

The city also posted this video which shows the design of the roundabout, as well as the perspectives of travelling through the roundabout as a driver and a pedestrian.

Video Link

Last edited by CanadianTalk; Feb 19, 2024 at 2:48 AM.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2024, 11:40 PM

Can't wait to read my former Byron neighbours Facebook group talking about having another year of roundabout construction nearby lol. Not sure that's the most urgent spot for one though. I would have gone with one at Westdel and Oxford myself, or even Commissioners and Oxford.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 1:18 AM

Expect another one at Glendon and Vanneck whenever the County finally gets around to rebuilding Glendon thru to the 402. Still no timeline for when that rebuild will happen but it too is needed ASAP with all the traffic now using the road and the future volume increases that will be happening.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 2:30 PM

Quote:
Can't wait to read my former Byron neighbours Facebook group talking about having another year of roundabout construction nearby lol. Not sure that's the most urgent spot for one though. I would have gone with one at Westdel and Oxford myself, or even Commissioners and Oxford.
I live in Riverbend and you wont hear from me lol, that said I do agree Oxford / Commissioners would be more urgent. Unfortunately the roundabout idea there got axed I believe.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:37 AM

CTV piece on this upcoming roundabout project.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/a-new-cons...know-1.6758812

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 12:58 AM

Quote:
CTV piece on this upcoming roundabout project.

https://london.ctvnews.ca/a-new-cons...know-1.6758812
Thought it was funny that the West 5 guy thought he would have to go all the way down to Longwoods on Westdel to get to Delaware, opposed to right on Elviage, right on Woodhull, left on Gideon. Pain, but not as bad as he's making it out to be.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Thought it was funny that the West 5 guy thought he would have to go all the way down to Longwoods on Westdel to get to Delaware, opposed to right on Elviage, right on Woodhull, left on Gideon. Pain, but not as bad as he's making it out to be.
It's surprising how many people stubbornly don't use Google Maps.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 7:33 PM

Or Openstreetmap - https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/42.9972/-81.2413

which doesn't track you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
It's surprising how many people stubbornly don't use Google Maps.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2024, 10:53 PM

Yeah there will always be complainers when it comes to construction, but I am really glad to see this specific intersection finally get reconstructed.

The way the intersection is currently set-up is dangerous IMO because the slip-lane is very short from Gideon to EB Oxford and you have people treating it like a 401 merge despite there being a Yield sign.

I would love to see more roundabouts along Oxford specifically at Westdel and Commissioners/Kain, but unfortunately the city will be reconstructing them as traffic signals when that stretch of Oxford gets widened next year.

-----

Quote:
Expect another one at Glendon and Vanneck whenever the County finally gets around to rebuilding Glendon thru to the 402. Still no timeline for when that rebuild will happen but it too is needed ASAP with all the traffic now using the road and the future volume increases that will be happening.
According to a report presented to Middlesex Centre council a couple months ago, construction will start on the Glendon and Vanneck roundabout this year as well.

https://www.middlesexcentre.on.ca/ar...e-improvements

Old Posted Feb 8, 2024, 3:05 PM
User Registered

I am surprised the finalized design of the roundabout isn't going to give Oxford 2 lanes each way. Only the EB section of it will be 2 laned? Not WB? Weird, especially if they want to widen Oxford to the city limit which will be needed sooner than later with all the growth in Komoka and Kilworth

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:05 PM

Construction will start on the roundabout on Monday.

Gideon will be closed during construction, however Oxford will remain open.

https://london.ca/oxford-gideon-starts-monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianTalk View Post

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure