HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 1:05 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

for nj of course around edison/iselin is famous for indian foodie places.

carteret also has a lot of sikhs, with some spillover here in staten. sikhs did not have a good reputation during the second world war around here as they conspired and blew up a cargo ship in the arthur kill during wartime because hitler had promised independence for them and india, or so i was told on a tour, but all that is long forgiven and forgotten and sikh bros are around everywhere.

what else? near the gwb, ft. lee has a lot of koreans.

and of course we have lots of sri lankan here in north shore staten. more surprizingly to me some filipino too, which is great because we have a huge filipino grocery store i like, along with many various sized indian groceries.

and lastly yes the nyc area has relatively few vietnamese unfortunately, although i know a few from long island. many, if not most, local nyc vietnamese restaurants are run by chinese. this is long known and griped about by us local foodies.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 1:59 AM

South Asian origins, Toronto-Hamilton-Oshawa

Indian 612,370
Pakistani 174,750
Punjabi 100,460
Sri Lankan 94,880
Tamil 78,330
Sikh 66,620
Bangladeshi 38,730

A lot of Sikhs don't identify as "Indian."

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 8:59 PM

Los Angeles MSA

Chinese, except Taiwanese 663,786
Filipino 523,317
Vietnamese 363,349
Korean 342,131
Japanese 205,196
Indian 182,425
Taiwanese 57,112
Cambodian 50,615
Thai 36,214
Pakistani 21,764
Indonesian 21,272

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 9:03 PM

San Francisco MSA

Chinese, except Taiwanese 587,259
Filipino 317,845
Indian 253,343
Vietnamese 89,185
Japanese 77,126
Korean 67,311
Taiwanese 22,185

San Jose MSA

Chinese, except Taiwanese 242,908
Indian 198,858
Vietnamese 152,433
Filipino 109,649
Korean 40,689
Japanese 38,652

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 10:15 PM

Greater Toronto Area

South Asian 1,224,890
Chinese 691,635
Filipino 291,415
Southeast Asian 103,385
Korean 76,315
Japanese 21,235

Old Posted Dec 16, 2023, 10:18 PM

So even if you stick to GTA only and not Hamilton, Toronto has largest South Asian population in NA.

With San Francisco and San Jose separated and with L.A. without Riverside, L.A. is the second largest Chinese, Toronto third and San Francisco fourth. But SF/SJ together has the second largest Chinese population.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 3:49 AM
你的媽媽

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
L.A. has the most nationalities represented. Even the smaller communities are quite sizeable: 60,000 Cambodians, 40,000 Thais and 30,000 Indonesians. But South Asian presence is rather low; there are more Japanese Americans than Indian Americans. 3 million Asians in the region - around the total population of Greater Vancouver.
Speaking of which, it looks like the South Asian presence is finally starting to catch up, in the form of food.

Quote:
LA's Indian food scene has lagged for years. That could be changing, and fast.
With a spate of recent openings, Indian restaurants may finally be having a moment in Los Angeles

By Karen Palmer
Jan 12, 2024

Despite having one of the most diverse restaurant communities in California, Los Angeles has never exactly been known for its Indian cuisine.

Unlike regions with rich Indian culinary scenes like London, New York City or the Bay Area, LA’s Indian offerings have historically been sparse. San Francisco alone is home to stalwarts like Udupi Palace, Aslam’s Rasoi and Pakwan, as well as exciting newcomers like the elegant, Kerala-focused Copra and New Delhi export ROOH — and that’s not even counting all of the Indian pizza places or the thriving Indian restaurants in San Jose or the East Bay.

Recently, though, a spate of openings has given the Southern California region hope that Indian food’s time has finally come.

https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/in...i-18596344.php

Old Posted Jan 13, 2024, 4:08 AM

I can vouch that LA's Indian food scene is minuscule compared to SF's, at least per capita. And nobody has a recommended Indian restaurant when I ask. I got so spoiled being within walking distance of Pakwan . . . .

Old Posted Jan 15, 2024, 9:43 PM

I guess because I grew up in Cerritos, which is right next to Artesia, that I never thought of Indian food (or Indian people) as "lacking" in the Los Angeles area. Artesia has the typical "northern" Indian cuisine that most Americans think about when they think of Indian food, but there's also southern Indian, Chettinad, Gujarati, Desi cuisine...

When I was a college student, my friend and I would often eat at Tandoori Nights in West Hollywood; it closed a long time ago. It had the typical stuff, I liked it at the time. But I guess it was kind of run-of-the-mill. My friend lived in the area so we would eat there.

I actually didn't try southern Indian food until much later, and I was like 'Why didn't I try this sooner??' I love idlis and dosa. I like Indian vegetarian food as well. My partner and I do occasionally get tandoori chicken. We love fish curry, too.

We've been to Indian places that we liked and have heard customers complain about the food among themselves. We heard one guy tell his friend "This doesn't really taste that great." But they were eating the buffet food. It's been my experience that buffet food in general is mediocre at best. When we go to an Indian restaurant and there's a buffet going on, we STILL order off the menu.

We've also heard people complaining about the chicken tikka masala---AT A SOUTHERN INDIAN PLACE. We've learned long ago to order what the restaurant specializes in, and NOT order the dishes they throw in that more people are familiar with. Chicken tikka masala isn't even an Indian dish, it was invented in the UK.

They do this at some Chinese restaurants we've been to too, where they have the more authentic stuff, but then they'll throw in orange chicken for the gringos.

It's funny because yeah, I realize that most of the Indian restaurants my partner and I really like are actually in Pasadena and Artesia. There is one LA restaurant that we like that serves cuisine from Kerala, called Mayura, on Venice Boulevard. When we're out that way, sometimes we'll go there. We like Annapurna in Pasadena, and in Artesia we like Udupi Palace. There was a place in Artesia called Standard Sweets & Snacks, but they closed some years ago. We also like Artesia's variety of chaat houses. There's a restaurant in our town of South Pasadena that we'll go to a few times a month called Radhika, which we like.

One place that I thought was overrated in LA is a place called Badmaash. Many years ago, one of my partner's coworkers recommended a place called Electric Lotus. We tried it and it was AWFUL. We should've known better when we went inside and saw that NONE of the customers were Indian, and a lot of the staff weren't Indian either.

Mmm, Indian food.

Uttapam.

Photo by me

Kerala fish curry on the left, baingan bharta on the right.

Photo by me

Spinach masala dosa.

Photo by me

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 4:29 AM

NYC, 2020 census:

Chinese 678,862 7.7%
Indian 255,657 2.9%
Korean 105,171 1.2%
Bangladeshi 103,419 1.2%
Filipino 98,775 1.1%
Pakistani 63,879 0.7%
Japanese 38,705 0.4%
Vietnamese 22,970 0.3%

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 4:39 AM

More detailed look at Brooklyn and Queens

Brooklyn

Chinese 237,873 8.7%
Indian 39,266 1.4%
Pakistani 28,136 1%
Uzbek 20,407 0.7%
Bangladeshi 19,963 0.7%
Filipino 14,995 0.5%
Japanese 9,520 0.3%
Vietnamese 7,698 0.3%

Queens

Chinese 277,719 11.5%
Indian 142,322 5.9%
Korean 61,237 2.5%
Bangladeshi 60,285 2.5%
Filipino 51,973 2.2%
Pakistani 22,079 0.9%
Nepalese 14,394 0.6%
Japanese 9,027 0.4%
Taiwanese 8,792 0.4%
Vietnamese 6,064 0.3%
Uzbek 5,166 0.2%

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 4:50 AM

Los Angeles County, 2020 Census

Chinese 499,302 5%
Filipino 419,817 4.2%
Korean 230,009 2.3%
Japanese 139,494 1.4%
Vietnamese 125,374 1.3%
Indian 111,253 1.1%
Taiwanese 49,728 0.5%
Cambodian 42,223 0.4%
Thai 32,811 0.3%
Indonesian 16,828 0.2%
Pakistani 15,284 0.2%

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 12:52 PM

I feel the Brooklyn Chinese population is still a bit under-the-radar. Don't think most people would know that Brooklyn is nearly 10% Chinese.

There's a pretty huge swath of southern Brooklyn that is at least plurality Chinese.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I feel the Brooklyn Chinese population is still a bit under-the-radar. Don't think most people would know that Brooklyn is nearly 10% Chinese.

There's a pretty huge swath of southern Brooklyn that is at least plurality Chinese.
Seems like the community started in Sunset Park, and filtered out from there. It's in the process of flipping everywhere in South Brooklyn outside of the Hasidic/Russian Jewish neighborhoods, with the exception of sections of Bay Ridge (still mixed white ethnic plus some gentrification), Dyker Heights (still Italian) and the various NYCHA enclaves. Also, ironically, hasn't spread into the Mexican side of Sunset Park, which has been resilient as the only Latino area in South Brooklyn.

I'm pretty sure there are also growing mixed South Asian communities in/around parts of Flatbush and Kensington though. More Pakistanis in the former, Bengalis in the latter.

Out of curiosity, is there any difference in language/region between the Brooklyn Chinese communities and the ones in northern Queens?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Seems like the community started in Sunset Park, and filtered out from there. It's in the process of flipping everywhere in South Brooklyn outside of the Hasidic/Russian Jewish neighborhoods, with the exception of sections of Bay Ridge (still mixed white ethnic plus some gentrification), Dyker Heights (still Italian) and the various NYCHA enclaves. Also, ironically, hasn't spread into the Mexican side of Sunset Park, which has been resilient as the only Latino area in South Brooklyn.
Yup. Much of South Brooklyn has shifted Chinese, starting from Sunset Park. Most of the old Italian American areas, especially, have shifted Chinese. Much of South Brooklyn has shifted either Chinese or Orthodox Jewish. Bensonhurst is now almost completely Orthodox near Borough Park and majority Chinese almost everywhere else.

Bay Ridge has enough low key gentrification and appeal among longtime local ethnics. It doesn't appear to be changing much, just getting slightly more upscale, and remaining pretty white. There are Greek and other white ethnic professionals and business owners, especially near the water, that aren't going anywhere. They just built a brand new Greek private school, and there's a new private K-12 academy. There's a demographic of Brownstone Brooklyn types now in Bay Ridge. It's also the only South Brooklyn area shifting politically left.
Quote:
I'm pretty sure there are also growing mixed South Asian communities in/around parts of Flatbush and Kensington though. More Pakistanis in the former, Bengalis in the latter.
Yeah, to me the Census numbers seem curiously low for Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. That community seems to be expanding eastward into Carribean Brooklyn. Black West Indians are really mixed up with South Asians in parts of Flatbush now.
Quote:
Out of curiosity, is there any difference in language/region between the Brooklyn Chinese communities and the ones in northern Queens?
I believe the Queens Chinese community is much more diverse than the Brooklyn Chinese community. Queens Chinese are from all over China and have some Taiwanese, HK and SE Asian Chinese representation. Brooklyn Chinese are very heavily Fujianese. From an outsider perspective this probably means Flushing has more interesting culinary options than Sunset Park.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 2:53 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
I can vouch that LA's Indian food scene is minuscule compared to SF's, at least per capita. And nobody has a recommended Indian restaurant when I ask. I got so spoiled being within walking distance of Pakwan . . . .
Oh man the Indian food in the East Bay is fantastic. I could throw a rock and hit a dozen tandoori joints.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Oh man the Indian food in the East Bay is fantastic. I could throw a rock and hit a dozen tandoori joints.
Isn't Fremont like half Indian? And not Indian-American, but tech professionals born in India. It's gotta have amazing diversity of cuisines.

I have a (white) buddy sorta around there (SJ) who says when you go to the local Costco or Target, it's pretty much all South/East Asian.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 5:26 PM

So for the Census Bureau, the Iran-Afghanistan border is considered the borderline between "white" and "Asian" groupings. Afghans are considered Asian, as are Uzbeks.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 6:18 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Isn't Fremont like half Indian? And not Indian-American, but tech professionals born in India. It's gotta have amazing diversity of cuisines.

I have a (white) buddy sorta around there (SJ) who says when you go to the local Costco or Target, it's pretty much all South/East Asian.
My neighborhood was something like 60/40 South Asian/ East Asian and then my Italian self. Very few people born here. My land lords were from China and work at Google. Nicest people.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Yup. Much of South Brooklyn has shifted Chinese, starting from Sunset Park.
Do a lot of the women walk around/drive around looking like this?

Then there's this:

SOOOOooo SGV.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions