HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Nov 11, 2023, 1:00 PM

Western Rd Sarnia Rd and Philip Aziz Avenue rebuild

Looks like this much needed reconstruction of this intersection and the approaches is finally going to start late 2024 and run for 3 years.

Gazette article on project:

https://westerngazette.ca/news/campu...ce5a8595a.html

Planning report

https://pub-london.escribemeetings.c...cumentId=98829

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 6:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

needs double turn lanes from Sarnia to Western Rd. Northbound, and from Western Road Southbound to Sarnia Westbound. plus a scrambled cross walk. The current design for the current traffic is asinine.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 11:24 PM

I think they could use a pedestrian overpass at some portion of that intersection or maybe just north of it.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 11:33 PM

Improvements seem pretty underwhelming for the price and don't really seem to address the existing issues. No double left turn for Western Rd, no tunnels or bridges to separate pedestrians from traffic, no side roads behind Brescia linked to Western campus. Basically it's just bike lanes, 4 bus bays, and some extensions to the existing turn lanes to Sarnia Rd... Oh it will take 3 years to complete, so traffic will be especially shit around there during that time..

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I think they could use a pedestrian overpass at some portion of that intersection or maybe just north of it.
Yeah, but it won't happen. These are quite rare in Canada. Weather is one issue. Drunk people tossing things off the overpass is another. And then there is the accessibility issue.

The best we can hope for is a scrambled cross-walk, where everyone can cross on foot at the same time, in whatever direction. I don't know why we don't have more of these in Canada.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Yeah, but it won't happen. These are quite rare in Canada. Weather is one issue. Drunk people tossing things off the overpass is another. And then there is the accessibility issue.

The best we can hope for is a scrambled cross-walk, where everyone can cross on foot at the same time, in whatever direction. I don't know why we don't have more of these in Canada.
Well before your time in town, but we had one at Clarence and King for many years up until I would guess the mid to late 80's, maybe into the early 90's. Once the Galleria opened and the Arcade mall closed, there wasn't really any need for it anymore as foot traffic crossing there dropped off to next to nothing. I think the addition of one at Western/Sarnia would be a good addition, but I can see the complaints coming about the perceived lack of motion when traffic is stopped in all directions. Even though traffic would move better on the green cycle because one of the things about these scramble crosswalks is pedestrians don't cross when traffic has a green. Although, we know damn well they will anyway, so maybe some enforcement for educational purposes would be needed as well.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2023, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Montreal downtown has these everywhere, and I love it. It just makes more sense to have pedestrians cross first, and let cars go afterwards. I also like in Montreal, they have a light signal for everything, including right turns.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:01 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am hearing that the project will entail many closed lanes and only one lane in each direction open at certain periods. The traffic at rush hour here is already incredibly horrible (could be the worst in London). It will be absolute gridlock when it goes to one lane each direction (especially given the 09248023840320 buses that travel down Western Road at Rush Hour).

Old Posted Nov 22, 2023, 5:02 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
Montreal downtown has these everywhere, and I love it. It just makes more sense to have pedestrians cross first, and let cars go afterwards. I also like in Montreal, they have a light signal for everything, including right turns.
Yep, me too. Montreal does do some things right.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > Transportation & Infrastructure