HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
It looks like podium bridge is out for this one. The inevitable Classic Ottawa Dumbing Down has begun anew.

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.or...line-1.6907968

Although I don't necessarily think this is a significant downgrade, it is disappointing that the bridge won't be happening. The podium looks good, but the towers are reminding me of 1960 Scott's commie/Soviet era "design".

Side note to the linked article, looking through all the exciting projects, I can't help but scoff at 2 Robinson, RLA, at it again, just being mediocre.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 3:01 PM

Quote:
It looks like podium bridge is out for this one. The inevitable Classic Ottawa Dumbing Down has begun anew.

https://www-cbc-ca.cdn.ampproject.or...line-1.6907968

I dont see that as a Dumbing down! it still looks great with or without bridge

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL123 View Post
I dont see that as a Dumbing down! it still looks great with or without bridge
I see it as 'dumbing down' because now it's two buildings instead of two buildings connected by a bridge, which would have been the first such project in Ottawa. As simple as that. Ottawa can't have unique things.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 3:57 PM

the bridge being removed sucks, but the ground level for this still looks really good, and those fully glass levels are still unique

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalmuffins View Post
the bridge being removed sucks, but the ground level for this still looks really good, and those fully glass levels are still unique
What are the chances those levels ends up looking like that though? First they''ll get rid of the gold structure that resembles trees, then the glazing will become half or more spandrel panels (likely a light teal) framing tiny cheap glass portholes. Call me pessimistic, but I'm still waiting to be truly impressed by a residential project in this city.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 4:05 PM

Quick splice of this one and Lofty Westboro next door - shaping up to be a really nice block!

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 4:15 PM

Quote:
What are the chances those levels ends up looking like that though? First they''ll get rid of the gold structure that resembles trees, then the glazing will become half or more spandrel panels (likely a light teal) framing tiny cheap glass portholes. Call me pessimistic, but I'm still waiting to be truly impressed by a residential project in this city.
I guess nothing to confirm they won't, but losing the bridge doesn't make this a bad project yet. It is still very well designed and very good on height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbOttawa View Post
Quick splice of this one and Lofty Westboro next door - shaping up to be a really nice block!

Man this and Lofty Westboro will be such a nice combined addition. That streetscape is going to look so nice.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 4:20 PM

Yes, combined it will look like 2 robinson as currently proposed once all the 'edits' have been made

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure, I'm pretty optimistic on this one, seems to me every design revision this project gets better. The loss of the bridge is a bit sad, but overall I think its a better design than the previous revision, and that revision was way better than the one before

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRTeverywhere View Post
I'm not so sure, I'm pretty optimistic on this one, seems to me every design revision this project gets better. The loss of the bridge is a bit sad, but overall I think its a better design than the previous revision, and that revision was way better than the one before
I agree. The previous design was the "Hobin Special", which isn't bad on its own, but about a dozen proposed towers have an identical design language.

If, and it's a big IF, they stick with this design, it will look awesome. Sure, the bridge was cool, but this looks cool too.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2023, 6:35 PM

From that CBC article:

Quote:
Hoppner Holdings is applying to build two 40 storey towers right across from the proposed Westboro LRT station. Colonnade Bridgeport said it's also involved in the project.

Ken Hoppner, a partner in Hoppner Holdings, said the aim is to start work in the third quarter of next year. The plan has changed twice before, from a three tower project pitched in 2022 to a two tower design with a link connecting two skyscrapers.

The current design dispenses with the link, but retains a podium design that steps down toward a low-rise neighbourhood to the south, revealing terraces open to the sky.

According to the design brief for the second plan, the project aims to transform the site into a "bustling urban hub" with a landscaped pedestrian plaza.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 10:04 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

All the latest renderings (Oct 2023)

http://webcast.ottawa.ca/plan/All_Im...12-23-0019.PDF

Old Posted Nov 13, 2023, 10:17 PM

Dumbed down a bit from the original proposal but still amazing for ottawa. Hopefully this project materializes.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 2:55 AM

I want the sky bridge!!!!!

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 3:00 AM

Even if they just made the sky bridge inaccessible from the inside and open beams connecting the two buildings, it would at least 'complete' it for me. The bits sticking off the sides where it was supposed to be are like swollen contusions in my mind's eye.

If they are going to amputate the sky bridge, at least do a clean job and don't leave stumps.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 3:57 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post
Even if they just made the sky bridge inaccessible from the inside and open beams connecting the two buildings, it would at least 'complete' it for me. The bits sticking off the sides where it was supposed to be are like swollen contusions in my mind's eye.

If they are going to amputate the sky bridge, at least do a clean job and don't leave stumps.
Maybe it's an homage to the missing middle?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 5:06 AM
Busy Beaver

The National Monument for the Victims of Social Distancing.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 12:54 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketphish View Post
Maybe it's an homage to the missing middle?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
The National Monument for the Victims of Social Distancing.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 1:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidetrackedSue View Post

Maybe they are doing it this way to leave the option of adding a bridge in the future?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Downtown & City of Ottawa