HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 7:38 PM

Ontario New Minimum Wage Effects

It is happening. The wage increase effect in Ontario is now being felt across the consumer stores.
We were at Costco last night and a lot of their pricing is now up. For example a 6 pack of white chunk tuna was $14.99, i could not believe it. It used to be $11.99…

So the wage increase:

1. “so Called Helped” the poor get back to the same level where they were before the wages. (give some now and take some later in form of higher prices)
2. Hurt the Middle Class by taking away in price increases, since they did not see any benefit from min wage increase.
3. Businesses might not feel most of this, since they find ways to get their loses back by increasing the prices.

So there you have it! The money will always trickle back to the top, as the middle class shrinks and poor have the short term illusion of making more.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupcheck View Post
It is happening. The wage increase effect in Ontario is now being felt across the consumer stores.
We were at Costco last night and a lot of their pricing is now up. For example a 6 pack of white chunk tuna was $14.99, i could not believe it. It used to be $11.99…

So the wage increase:

1. “so Called Helped” the poor get back to the same level where they were before the wages. (give some now and take some later in form of higher prices)
2. Hurt the Middle Class by taking away in price increases, since they did not see any benefit from min wage increase.
3. Businesses might not feel most of this, since they find ways to get their loses back by increasing the prices.

So there you have it! The money will always trickle back to the top, as the middle class shrinks and poor have the short term illusion of making more.
No offence, but how is this relevant to the London forum? Do we really need to make a new thread about this?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 8:08 PM

Just raising awareness. I do not think it is breaking the rules. Look at the forum location published under: London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy...London is in Ontario after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatTallNorth2 View Post
No offence, but how is this relevant to the London forum? Do we really need to make a new thread about this?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2018, 11:52 PM

The best source here would be economists who can study the entire market, and not just the fish aisle at Costco. Unfortunately your tuna anecdotes don't really contribute much to the discussion.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 12:10 AM
User Registered

Costco actually pays their employees relatively well, so I doubt that minimum wage increase had much to do with it.

Maybe the market price of tuna went up?
Or packaging / processing?
Or fuel / shipping?
Etc.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
Costco actually pays their employees relatively well, so I doubt that minimum wage increase had much to do with it.

Maybe the market price of tuna went up?
Or packaging / processing?
Or fuel / shipping?
Etc.
They do pay good wages, but did they give people a bump in wages to keep them a certain amount above minimum? I don't know. Also, I'm sure some of their suppliers have had to raise wages and pass that along in the price of product as well.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:38 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
Minimum wage went up $2.45 in a year. Your tuna went up $3. That can't be solely attributable to minimum wage. Even if Costco raised their staff salaries more than that (mine went up $5.50 in October plus an expansion in benefits and the rest of the Liberal's bill which includes more sick days and vacation pay, etc., on top of that and we have yet to raise costs for anything, with no plans to do so in the near future, because our business is well-run and took this increase into account a year ago when the bill was first announced) so there has to be something else at play here. Many of the staples I buy at the grocery store seem to have gone down slightly in price if we want to play the anecdote game, but I shop at Western Canadian stores supplied out of Vancouver, Calgary and Winnipeg, so the Asian-origin products are cheaper here.

Unless Costco expects that an hour of labour is going into the sale of that single package of tuna cans (which would prescriptively cost 99c before labour?????) I highly doubt that the wage increase is the cause of this.

Global tuna prices shot up last summer and then fell in the autumn. If that tuna was purchased in the summer (as grocery stores usually order massive quantities on periodic contracts, usually monthly or quarterly but sometimes as much as annually) then it's possible that they just signed a higher priced contract at an unfortunate time and are stuck with some overpriced tuna. My advice: wait for it to go on sale (because it will go on sale) and stock up.

Well run businesses planned for this when it was first announced, that's why most stores haven't actually instituted a major price increase. One thing that has happened is some businesses, like Loblaws and Canadian Tire, started paying only 98% of their bills with the expectation that their suppliers will write off the rest, and this is having a negative impact on small businesses that supply those stores or that supply the businesses supplying their stores, as in some cases that could be a quarter or half of their actual profit margin. The big box stores have an end goal of minimizing the price increase you see on the shelves, so that you don't freak out like this. It happened to my business and we told the big boxes to go fuck themselves, and we've been making more money since.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:19 PM

Tuna was an example, here is another one....

Car in for an oil change. There was a sign saying roughly:

“Thanks to all loyal customers, due to the minimum wage hike of Jan 1, we have had to put prices up. We have NEVER paid our employees minimum wage. As of Jan 1 we have given all our employees a 4.00/hr. raise. We believe everyone should make a fair wage”

I asked how much the oil change went up – $9.00. An oil change takes about 10-15 minutes, 4-5 guys running 3 bays. Guys make 16.00-20.00 more TOTAL in an hour, Company makes 108.00 more in an hour. Minimum wage hike raises profits up to 92.00/hr.

…and no one can bitch because the company was just giving the guys what they deserved.

You get the point...do not get hung up on the tuna.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Tuna was an example, here is another one....

Car in for an oil change. There was a sign saying roughly:

“Thanks to all loyal customers, due to the minimum wage hike of Jan 1, we have had to put prices up. We have NEVER paid our employees minimum wage. As of Jan 1 we have given all our employees a 4.00/hr. raise. We believe everyone should make a fair wage”

I asked how much the oil change went up – $9.00. An oil change takes about 10-15 minutes, 4-5 guys running 3 bays. Guys make 16.00-20.00 more TOTAL in an hour, Company makes 108.00 more in an hour. Minimum wage hike raises profits up to 92.00/hr.

…and no one can bitch because the company was just giving the guys what they deserved.

You get the point...do not get hung up on the tuna.
I used to get my hair cut at SuperCuts, mainly because of a convenient location, and prior to January 1 they had been charging $22.60 with tax. Since January 1 they've gone up to $28.25 with tax. Meanwhile a barber one of my co-workers uses currently charges $25.00 with tax. I'm no longer using SuperCuts, their quality is not worth more than the good local barber.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 3:41 PM

The minimum wage hike going up this fast is helping no one and it is the desperate liberals trying to find ways to make themselves look good at our expense. These places will stay and deal with it at the consumers expense and take a cut on there own pay check which they deserve for there hard work. That being said a small business will just cut hours wanting to stay in the same place but a factory will just shut down and move or shift production to other places. This really gives a bad business sentiment in the province.

My buddy the other day was so happy that he snap chatted his raise ( raise from Liberals wage hike ). This is guy eats out a lot, shops, like expensive hair cuts he probably cant afford. My point here is those extra dollars gets him nothing more with all the prices hikes and if he saved it really wouldn't either. I agree with wage hikes if there keeping up with inflation but not if its chopping down our competiveness as a province to attract jobs and business.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2018, 7:45 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Inflation statistics are garbage as many things that cost an absolute lot of money are excluded. core CPI excludes energy and food. Non-core includes these, but neither includes housing.

Once you factor in costs of housing, living standards for many if not most Canadians have essentially been declining since the early 1970s.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 3:04 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
No, the minimum wage increase didn't do that, silly! As I mentioned, everyone at my work got a $5.50 to $9.50 raise and our prices went up 0%. (One product actually went down in price!)

They company you were getting oil changes at just decided to use the minimum wage increase as an excuse to milk its customers while shifting blame to the Liberals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
I used to get my hair cut at SuperCuts, mainly because of a convenient location, and prior to January 1 they had been charging $22.60 with tax. Since January 1 they've gone up to $28.25 with tax. Meanwhile a barber one of my co-workers uses currently charges $25.00 with tax. I'm no longer using SuperCuts, their quality is not worth more than the good local barber.
This is the same situation. This isn't just because of the minimum wage increase, this is simply greed under the cover of a minimum wage increase. I get my hair cut at a local place that charges a flat $20, and has for several years. No intention to increase prices from them. But the owner of the business is the employee, which could be part of it?

Now, there could be an acceptable situation here: both Dupcheck's and Manny's businesses might have been providing services at a low price for a very long time, and then once the minimum wage increase hit, realized they'd fucked up and jacked the prices. In 2015, the business I work for instituted its first across-the-board price increase since 1995. It's possible that that garage and that supercuts hadn't raised their prices in 4 or 5 years perhaps, and the minimum wage increase simply forced them to raise it and they're being pro-active and raising it a larger amount so it can set at a level price for several years. (In my case, we won't be raising prices for at least another year; we're planning a few key price reductions on some things to shift customers to them, however, as there are more profitable options for us than the current model.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserLDN View Post
My buddy the other day was so happy that he snap chatted his raise ( raise from Liberals wage hike ). This is guy eats out a lot, shops, like expensive hair cuts he probably cant afford. My point here is those extra dollars gets him nothing more with all the prices hikes and if he saved it really wouldn't either. I agree with wage hikes if there keeping up with inflation but not if its chopping down our competiveness as a province to attract jobs and business.
Arguable, the wage increase hasn't kept up with inflation in the cost of living in places like Toronto, but in dumps like Thunder Bay and London, I do agree that $15 is enough to live fairly comfortably, although many people I know who are making $25 to $40 per hour make absolutely horrible spending decisions and don't save any of it so it kind of doesn't matter how much one makes as much as it does how well they manage what they make.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
No, the minimum wage increase didn't do that, silly! As I mentioned, everyone at my work got a $5.50 to $9.50 raise and our prices went up 0%. (One product actually went down in price!)

They company you were getting oil changes at just decided to use the minimum wage increase as an excuse to milk its customers while shifting blame to the Liberals.

This is the same situation. This isn't just because of the minimum wage increase, this is simply greed under the cover of a minimum wage increase. I get my hair cut at a local place that charges a flat $20, and has for several years. No intention to increase prices from them. But the owner of the business is the employee, which could be part of it?

Now, there could be an acceptable situation here: both Dupcheck's and Manny's businesses might have been providing services at a low price for a very long time, and then once the minimum wage increase hit, realized they'd fucked up and jacked the prices. In 2015, the business I work for instituted its first across-the-board price increase since 1995. It's possible that that garage and that supercuts hadn't raised their prices in 4 or 5 years perhaps, and the minimum wage increase simply forced them to raise it and they're being pro-active and raising it a larger amount so it can set at a level price for several years. (In my case, we won't be raising prices for at least another year; we're planning a few key price reductions on some things to shift customers to them, however, as there are more profitable options for us than the current model.)

Arguable, the wage increase hasn't kept up with inflation in the cost of living in places like Toronto, but in dumps like Thunder Bay and London, I do agree that $15 is enough to live fairly comfortably, although many people I know who are making $25 to $40 per hour make absolutely horrible spending decisions and don't save any of it so it kind of doesn't matter how much one makes as much as it does how well they manage what they make.
I do not think London is a dump. Please there is no need for you to offend our city. It is not perfect, but it is not a dump as you refer above. If it was a dump we wouldn't have so many Toronto refugees migrating here in the last 5 years. And all you are writing above judging everyone's responses is just your opinion and not reality as experienced by others. Do not be rude!

Last edited by Dupcheck; Mar 15, 2018 at 1:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:17 PM

VIDDdddd LOLLL Comparing London to Thunder Bay and also saying we are in the dumps. Right there I know you don't have a clue what you're talking about "silly". I think your honestly an idiot. You must be living in your moms basement somewhere and haven't left making these comments.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 5:33 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I am pretty sure that Vid was just being a little facetious with that remark. Calm down everyone.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 6:57 PM

Minimum wage has affected the pricing of many services there is no denying that, the Supercuts is a perfect example mentioned above as they flat out told their customers why and what the wage increase was for. Now that is not to say all of those increases were justified but many are if the company wants to maintain the same profit margin (which what business owner would want to make less money)

Flip side many small business' have simply absorbed the costs, I work for a smaller company (less than 25 employees) and due to the nature of our business we cannot simply raise our prices to our end customers as we are locked into contracts. The minimum wage which a few employees make certainly made a small impact overall.

The minimum wage has also made things more difficult for workers that make in the $30-35K range as they rightfully so should expect a "20%" wage increase though I doubt most people in that bracket received a raise of that amount if at all.

In my opinion the Liberal government did this 100% to try and buy votes, now please do not take that as me disagreeing with a wage increase as minimum wage certainly did need to go up and should have had a scheduled increase over X amount of years to get to a certain level.

All this said if the government actually wanted to help the lower class bumping the minimum wage 20% was not the right move to accomplish that. They should have changed the income tax laws so that lower income families paid less tax, move the taxable income amount up to lets say $15,000 (in addition to a smaller minimum wage increase). Doing that would have actually put more money in lower income peoples pockets and in turn they would be able to spend more money.

Our government is short sited and have other interests in mind, just my 2 cents

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 7:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
Minimum wage has affected the pricing of many services there is no denying that, the Supercuts is a perfect example mentioned above as they flat out told their customers why and what the wage increase was for. Now that is not to say all of those increases were justified but many are if the company wants to maintain the same profit margin (which what business owner would want to make less money)

Flip side many small business' have simply absorbed the costs, I work for a smaller company (less than 25 employees) and due to the nature of our business we cannot simply raise our prices to our end customers as we are locked into contracts. The minimum wage which a few employees make certainly made a small impact overall.

The minimum wage has also made things more difficult for workers that make in the $30-35K range as they rightfully so should expect a "20%" wage increase though I doubt most people in that bracket received a raise of that amount if at all.

In my opinion the Liberal government did this 100% to try and buy votes, now please do not take that as me disagreeing with a wage increase as minimum wage certainly did need to go up and should have had a scheduled increase over X amount of years to get to a certain level.

All this said if the government actually wanted to help the lower class bumping the minimum wage 20% was not the right move to accomplish that. They should have changed the income tax laws so that lower income families paid less tax, move the taxable income amount up to lets say $15,000 (in addition to a smaller minimum wage increase). Doing that would have actually put more money in lower income peoples pockets and in turn they would be able to spend more money.

Our government is short sited and have other interests in mind, just my 2 cents
Respect

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:57 AM

To clarify, SuperCuts didn’t claim the increase was due to minimum wage; it so happened their price increase occurred at the same time as the minimum wage increase.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 2:46 PM

Forgive me if I sound grumpy, but I've had to explain how this all works out a few times now.

Yes, the working poor, and lower-middle-income earners (in jobs where wages are set relative to the minimum ARE coming out ahead).

This is true no matter your politics, its a math question.

I'll start by showing what happens as a direct result of the minimum wage, in the fast food sector.

Labour represents almost exactly 11% of the cost of your burger combo.

Obviously, exact numbers vary slightly by chain and order, but this is fairly normative across the industry.

So for easy math......

Your combo was $10 before taxes, prior to the minimum wage hike.

Of that, $1.10 was the cost of paying the person who cooked your pattie, assembled your burger, salted your fries, and rung up your order..

When you raise the minimum wage by 21% which is what the increase is thus far, you raise the cost of labour by the same amount, or from $1.10 to $1.33 per order.

A difference of .23c

The increase passed on will be larger, because the mark-up for profit occurs on top of base costs and would bring the increase to around .30c

There are other indirect impacts, in the form of what a min. wage hike may do to supplier costs.

But you can be sure its not material difference.

But let's say the total impact is .40c

That means your cost, as a customer is up 4% while the minimum wage of ther work is up 20%.

Extrapolate this to next year, assuming the rise to $15 per hour, and you get an increase of around 6% to the customer vs a 32% hike in employee wages.

Now, its worth pointing out, the largest part of almost everyone's expenses in Ontario is housing, be it ownership or rent.

The minimum wage hike has no discernible impact on that cost at all.

Ownership is land, plus well paid trades, well paid sales people and mark-up.

Rental is similar w/only a cleaner or resident manager possibly being impacted by the wage hike; and you typically divide the cost of one of those by 200 units. So a wage hike of $5,000 for your resident manager equals about $2 per apartment per month, which in Ontario is going to be well shy of a 1% increase.

After that comes grocery, where inflation is nowhere near double-digit in early 2018, in fact its running under 2% annualized.

It may well be that your seeing a 20% hike on one particular product; but did your whole bill on grocery rise by that? (almost certainly not).

Yes, government does take in more in both personal income tax and sales tax when incomes rise. This is always true, however they rise.

But they are only taking a percentage of the increase, not more of what was made in the first place.

Yes, companies that raise prices will raise more total revenues, however, for the most part, their margins will remain unchanged.

Yes, some products will rise faster in prices, in part because most businesses don't raise their retail price every single year, even though they face inflationary cost pressures.

There's always a risk when you raise prices that customers will reconsider whether they need/want your product and may take a look at a competitor's offering.

So you tend to hold off till you think you have to raise prices, then make a bigger jump and hope your competitors move with you.

But again, on balance, we're not seeing a drastic spike in inflation in the grocery sector.

So even if you have a an inordinate increase, on items that make up less than 1/2 of what you spend; if you got a raise in line w/the minimum wage raise you will almost certainly come out ahead.

Now if you earn enough that you aren't seeing any significant raise, stop being so bitchy that you're out a whole extra $15 per week on various things so that your neighbours don't have to go to a food bank every month to eat.

Just sayin.

PS, Australia has a minimum wage of approximately $20Cdn per hour, and its prices are only marginally higher than ours on balance.

New York City's minimum wage is rising to $15 US in 2021 (only 3 years away); that's over $19Cdn at the current exchange rate.

Sure it would have been nice if the increases had been a bit more spread out.

The world is not an ideal place.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2018, 2:47 AM
I am a typical

Quote:
I got a 35% increase and added benefits, but we reduced staffing numbers through attrition. (A few guys left and we simply didn't replace them; just got more efficient equipment and gave their wages to ourselves!) No job losses on a wider scale, everyone who left either had a job lined up already or found one within days, we just reduced staffing. I think over time this will continue until it's a few long-time employees supervising robots but such is the economy these days.

How to reflect the increase among existing employees earning wages in the 12 to 20 per hour range was a difficult topic for many businesses and in some cases still is, I've seen a lot of people on Facebook saying shit like "I'm a mechanic and now I'm only making $20 more than a burger flipper!!" but I always tell them, how you feel about what you're paid is something that only you and your employer can truly sort out.

Most of the better run companies do have room to pay their employees more, it depends on how they built their business. If you've grown by undercutting the competition and running a high-volume low-margin operation for a while then yes, the wage increase stings because you forgot to take into account that costs go up over time. But a business that's taken it into consideration and costed their products at a higher labour rate than they actually paid so that wage increases can be taken into account, or situations like a higher paid employee taking over for a lower paid one to keep the operation going (common among us small business types) is going to have a smaller hurdle to him.

Also, this bill was discussed for over a year, everyone knew it was coming, workers were typically ecstatic about it (especially those on the low end of the pay scale) so no employer has a reasonable excuse for not being ready for it. My boss started planning for the wage increases back when they were on the old inflation schedule and weren't planning on getting to $15 until the 2020s, but things change with politics, and most people know that.

Quote:
All this said if the government actually wanted to help the lower class bumping the minimum wage 20% was not the right move to accomplish that. They should have changed the income tax laws so that lower income families paid less tax, move the taxable income amount up to lets say $15,000 (in addition to a smaller minimum wage increase).
No one suggested that at the time, as far as I can recall. Liberal party members might have brought it up while they discussed the policy but for whatever reason they didn't adopt it, likely because they want to take support from the NDP more than the PCs, which was the strategy when the PCs were led by a moderate in Patrick Brown. The Green Party has supported increasing the basic personal amount to $20,000 and increasing minimum wage to a living wave (can't recall if they wanted it province-wide or based on economic regions but I think the latter?) but they're not in the legislature so they get ignored.

But to get back to your point that the government did this to buy votes: what are the PCs doing when they cut income tax? They're also buying votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Light View Post
Yes, some products will rise faster in prices, in part because most businesses don't raise their retail price every single year, even though they face inflationary cost pressures.
To add to your excellent post: adjusting the price of your products isn't as simple as just "this went up by X so price goes up by X". When costing a product, you have to (or at least at my work, we do) take into account everything from the amount of energy used to light the area that makes the product to the heat the warms the cubic feet of the building in which that equipment is located, the percentage of an employee's time spend to make the product, the cost of raw materials going into making the product, the cost of the time it takes me to research and punch all these numbers into a formula to get an end result, the cost of getting these things to the stores selling them. And the cost of raw materials, especially with a volatile dollar, can fuck with a bottom line a lot more than a minimum wage increase. At the very least, you can see those coming! When you get hit with something like a 6c drop in the value of the loonie vs. the US dollar, or a spike in oil prices a year back causing resin prices to jump making the doohickie you're importing from Iowa cost 17% more than you planned, that's is what really fucks up the costs of products. And when we did it, it was under the (then) assumption that the NDP would win the election and push minimum wage up to $15 and beyond. We've built room into our prices so we can go a while without raising them again. The majority of our customers appreciate that and the ones who don't, they were never all that loyal anyway. 80% of business comes from 20% of your customers (and half of that 80% comes from the top 5%) and we only lost the ones that were a pain in the ass anyway. (I've shared my complaints about big box retail before and will spare you.)

Also, I don't really believe London is a dump. I meant it in terms of "place that isn't glitzy and expensive like Toronto or Vancouver, where the cost of living is lower". Even a $15 minimum wage in Toronto doesn't get you very far there. There are a handful of people in Thunder Bay who have their permanent residence here and fly to Toronto to work a couple times a week because it's preferable to them than living in King City, and I'm not talking about politicians. The "Toronto Refugees" affect the whole province and no, I don't believe minimum wage increases can solve it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy