HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:15 AM
Time/Space

Paying the Rent in New York

Paying the Rent in New York

Kate Harvey, left, and Rebecca Kotler Wein, lived in an office with seven roommates.

By CHRISTINE HAUGHNEY
Published: May 10, 2007

Like the legions of aspiring poets, tap dancers and musicians who came before her, Nina Rubin, a 29-year-old graduate of Wesleyan University, has struggled to find halfway decent housing in New York. Earlier this year, she ended up in her most unusual home yet: an office.

After taking a job as an instructor at Outward Bound, Ms. Rubin, along with some of her co-workers, settled into the top floor of the organization’s Long Island City headquarters. She camped out in a bunk bed; others converted nearby office cubicles into sleeping spaces, or pitched tents on the building’s roof. To create some privacy, they hung towels and sheets around their bunks.

While Outward Bound officials stress that they view these cubicles and tents as temporary housing solutions, Ms. Rubin, who has since moved to Vermont for a short while, was grateful for a free place.

As the apartment-hunting season begins, fueled by college graduates and other new arrivals, real estate brokers say radical solutions among young, well-educated newcomers to the city are becoming more common, because New York’s rental market is the tightest it has been in seven years. High-paid bankers and corporate lawyers snap up the few available apartments, often leading more modestly paid professionals and students to resort to desperate measures to find homes.

While young people in New York have always sought roommates to make life more affordable, they are now crowding so tightly into doorman buildings in prime neighborhoods like the Upper East Side that they may violate city codes.

They are doing so in part because the vacancy rate for Manhattan rentals is now estimated at 3.7 percent, according to data collected by Property and Portfolio Research, an independent real estate research and advisory firm in Boston. It is expected to shrink to 3.3 percent by the end of this year and to 2.9 percent by 2011.

“It’s only going to get more difficult to rent an apartment in New York City,” said Andy Joynt, a real estate economist with the research firm. “While rents continue to rise, it’s not sending people out of the city. There’s still enough of a cachet,” he said.

While New York City has always had a vacancy rate lower than most other cities, rental prices jumped last year by a record 8.3 percent. Some potential buyers, scared by the national slowdown in housing sales, decided to rent instead of buy The housing crunch has also been exacerbated by the steady growth of newcomers.

The relocation division of the brokerage company Prudential Douglas Elliman had found homes for 4,000 families moving to the New York, New Jersey and Connecticut area in 2006, a 15 percent jump from the year before, and many of them wanted to live in Manhattan.

Stephen Kotler, executive vice president of the division, said he expected business to increase by 15 percent again this year, based on the requests he has already received from banks, consumer-products companies and media firms. Even though his clients can afford high rents, he said, they do not have many choices.

“There’s going to be limited inventory and a lot of demand,” Mr. Kotler said. “There just hasn’t been enough rental product built,” he said, as, developers have said that the price of land and the costs of construction in the last few years have made it impractical to build rental buildings. They have instead focused on condominiums.

Renters without high salaries have not been shut out of the market. They are squeezing in extra roommates or making alterations as never before much to the frustration of landlords. The rents for one-bedroom apartments in Manhattan average $2,567 a month, and two-bedrooms average $3,854 a month, according to data from Citi Habitats, a large rental brokerage company, but rents tend to be far higher in coveted neighborhoods like the Upper West Side and TriBeCa.

Because landlords typically require renters to earn 40 times their monthly rent in annual income, renters of those average apartments would need to earn at least $102,680, individually or combined, to qualify for a one-bedroom and $154,160 to afford a two-bedroom.

Young people making a fraction of those salaries are doubling up in small spaces and creating housing code violations, said Jamie Heiberger-Jacobsen, a real estate lawyer with her own practice. She is representing landlords in 26 cases that claim overcrowding or illegal alterations in elevator buildings in Murray Hill, the Upper East and Upper West Sides and the Lower East Side. A year ago, she handled a half-dozen such cases.

Ms. Heiberger-Jacobsen said she was seeing the overcrowding not only in tenement-type buildings, but also in doorman buildings. “It really does create fire hazards,” she said. “You can’t just have beds all over the place.”

But more renters are finding that they cannot afford to stay in the city without resorting to less conventional living arrangements. For the last five years, Mindy Abovitz, 27, a drummer and graphic designer, has been living with four roommates in a 1,500-square-foot loft with one bathroom in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which has become a haven for young people, that rents for $2,600 a month.

Her rent is a bargain, she said, because comparable spaces now cost as much as $4,500 a month. To accommodate everyone, the roommates created five bedrooms out of three by building walls from drywall and lumber. Then they soundproofed the walls with carpet padding to limit the noise.

Dividing the space has been an affordable solution, Ms. Abovitz said, though the loft becomes crowded when she and her roommates get ready for work or prepare meals. “The kitchen and the bathroom are where you find the most traffic,” she said.

Students on tight budgets find it especially tough to find housing. Last fall, Kate Harvey, a part-time nanny and a junior at N.Y.U., and eight friends saved on rent by camping out in vacant offices at Michael Stapleton Associates, a downtown explosive-detection security firm. For nearly three months, they told the guards at 47 West Street that they were interns, even as they trudged in near midnight or pattered through the lobby at 10 a.m. in pajamas and slippers.

Ms. Harvey’s father, George Harvey, who is the chief executive of Michael Stapleton Associates, had lent them the space, which included two kitchens and two baths, after his company moved into a new office before the lease on its old one expired.

They sneaked furniture into the 11th floor on the freight elevator, squeezed three beds into the former chief executive’s office and turned filing cabinets into clothing drawers. One student pitched a tent. They brought their cat, Sula, past the front desk. They knew pets were allowed, they said, because the company had allowed bomb-sniffing dogs.

While most of the students who were interviewed said that they came from families that were fairly comfortable financially, they said that area rents were so high that they could not afford both housing and tuition.

“It was nine girls and a cat,” Ms. Harvey said, sipping on steamed milk in a Greenwich Village coffeehouse. “At least three of the nine would have had a really hard time paying for school and staying there.”

Mr. Harvey said his daughter told him that some friends had spent the summer sleeping on friends’ couches and even in the N.Y.U. library because they could not afford rent.

“They were in some tough financial situations,” Mr. Harvey said. “It occurred to me that all this space was going to waste.”

Now Ms. Harvey and two roommates from the office are looking for a new place to live. Each can spend up to $800 a month. Ms. Harvey has been searching the Craigslist Web site for apartments, but so far she has had no luck.

She says she is hopeful that they will eventually find something in Brooklyn, perhaps in the outer reaches of Park Slope. “We’re definitely going to have to expand our definition of Park Slope,” she said.

Copyright 2007 The New York Times Company

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:38 AM
D-Block 5 Star General

They said that the rental market is the highest in seven years. Does that have to do anything with 9/11?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:46 AM

A natural free market never has these problems.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:51 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

3.3 percent is nothing. Try 0.1-0.5 percent vacancy here! Of course, some here are just simply being creative.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:52 AM
Sawmill Billowtoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
Back to trolling, I see?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 6:20 AM

Quote:
The rents for one-bedroom apartments in Manhattan average $2,567 a month, and two-bedrooms average $3,854 a month, according to data from Citi Habitats, a large rental brokerage company, but rents tend to be far higher in coveted neighborhoods like the Upper West Side and TriBeCa.

Because landlords typically require renters to earn 40 times their monthly rent in annual income, renters of those average apartments would need to earn at least $102,680, individually or combined, to qualify for a one-bedroom and $154,160 to afford a two-bedroom.
^That is intense, and I thought $1200 for a 1 bedroom was bad.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:08 AM
Dryer lint inspector

i love new york to death but in no way is it worth sharing 1,000 sq. ft. with 5 other people just for the sake of living there.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:14 AM

Geesh...I'd flee to Jersey first before I paid over $1,500 in rent...hell, I'm paying $540 for a one bedroom here and think that's too much.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:24 AM
Aspiring Urbanite

Can we say "outer boroughs"? If you want to have a fashionable Manhattan address you have to pay for it. There is plenty of housing in New York, if you are not rolling in cash and don't want to settle with a tight squeeze, maybe a little subway commute is the answer. There are plenty of Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods I would gladly take for a little more breathing room but still access to the city.

I agree that this looks like an indication that rent control laws need to be re-thought. Opening the market so we don't suppress the development of additional housing would help.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jularc View Post
The rents for one-bedroom apartments in Manhattan average $2,567 a month, and two-bedrooms average $3,854 a month, according to data from Citi Habitats
For comparison purposes, the city-wide average monthly rent in SF for a one bedroom is $2026 and for a 2-bedroom it's $2945 (Source: http://www.rent-sf.com/avg_rent.html ).

As for the vacancy rate, it popped as high as 7.5% or so in the wake of the dot-com crash, but it's more typically quite similar to the rate in NYC:

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 7:58 AM

both SF and NY have rent control. So a lot of inventory never reaches the normal public. In SF I knew of many who lived in their rent controlled apts for YEARS. I mean some for decades. Once people settled in, for some it was hard to ever leave if they did not have to. I'm sure the same applies to NYC.

years ago I loved the fact I had a 2 bedroom rent controlled apt in a great neighborhood that had only gone up less than $300 in the 13 or so years I was there, but I realized as the years went by it was harder to leave that apt if I just simply wanted a change of scenery. I realize RC prevents some people from moving on and it makes newcomers rents quite high in comparison. I shudder to think what my old apt now is going for. Probably well over $2,000/mo. I knew by the time I left that 2 bedroom apt with a great view, the studio on the 3rd floor with a view of a wall was going for $1,000 or so.

I remember in 1995 when a woman in our NY office moved to SF, she told me she was paying $1,000 for a studio on the Lower East Side. I remember being shocked at that amount. lol. How time changes everything.

Last edited by Manarii; May 10, 2007 at 8:07 AM.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 10:06 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin356 View Post
What problems?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
What problems?

having to live in an office because you cannot find available housing..... let alone affordable housing.

All I am saying is that without any rent controls, zoning, public housing or historical preservation the city would have a vacancy rate of around 10%, and rents 25% < x > 50% less.

Granted though, the city has chosen such things and most everyone wants to give up some pricing in order to increase what they see as a increase in quality of life.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:29 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
i love new york to death but in no way is it worth sharing 1,000 sq. ft. with 5 other people just for the sake of living there.

I'd have to agree. One would have to spending most of their day and night out of the house. I couldn't live with that many people in that small of a space. It's like being back in a dorm in college. One of these days these young kids will all discover the cheaper alternative 90 miles to the south....

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:36 PM
I'm usually right.

Yep, it's the only reason I never moved / will never move to New York.

I'll go to Chicago instead.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:51 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylife View Post

I'd love to live in Manhattan. But...I would have to have a big paying job because I wouldn't want to spend most of my pay on housing and not be able to afford to take advantage of everything else NYC has to offer. Actually...Jersey City sounds like a pretty good altenative and you get the view!

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 3:22 PM

This is not an NYC problem, it is primarily a Manhattan problem (plus a few gentrified outer-borough neighborhoods). These people can move to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn (a great neighborhood, but not trendy) and get a sizable studio in a nice building near the water for around (or just under) $1,000. Bay Ridge will give you good transit access (subway, ferry, express bus) a bazillion restaurants, bakeries and markets (including some of the best Italian in North America) and it's probably as safe as a typical American suburb. It's also surprisingly diverse, gay-friendly and cultured.

They could move to Bensonhurst or Gravesend (not quite as nice as Bay Ridge, but still safe, convenient and lots of restaurants/services) and pay even less.

These people are simply delusional newcomers. Why is Ms. Harvey, a college student at NYU, surprised she can't afford anything decent in posh Park Slope?! Park Slope is among the priciest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I am fortunate to make a good salary and I can't come close buying anything decent in prime Park Slope. I could rent, but just barely.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylife View Post

I will never understand this logic. Why would someone decide to not move to a town because 25% of the housing is ridiculously expensive?

I pay less for housing in NYC than my sister pays in Chicago, yet my neighborhood is more urban and lively. She has a bit more room, a doorman and a heated parking space, but none of that stuff would affect my quality of life.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 3:41 PM
I'm usually right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I will never understand this logic. Why would someone decide to not move to a town because 25% of the housing is ridiculously expensive?

I pay less for housing in NYC than my sister pays in Chicago, yet my neighborhood is more urban and lively. She has a bit more room, a doorman and a heated parking space, but none of that stuff would affect my quality of life.
Obviously Chicago is overall a much more affordable city to rent and live in than NY. Check out the apts for rent on Craigslist for under $1000. It's an entirely different world.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 3:53 PM
Time/Space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
This is not an NYC problem, it is primarily a Manhattan problem (plus a few gentrified outer-borough neighborhoods). These people can move to Bay Ridge, Brooklyn (a great neighborhood, but not trendy) and get a sizable studio in a nice building near the water for around (or just under) $1,000. Bay Ridge will give you good transit access (subway, ferry, express bus) a bazillion restaurants, bakeries and markets (including some of the best Italian in North America) and it's probably as safe as a typical American suburb. It's also surprisingly diverse, gay-friendly and cultured.

They could move to Bensonhurst or Gravesend (not quite as nice as Bay Ridge, but still safe, convenient and lots of restaurants/services) and pay even less.

These people are simply delusional newcomers. Why is Ms. Harvey, a college student at NYU, surprised she can't afford anything decent in posh Park Slope?! Park Slope is among the priciest neighborhoods in Brooklyn. I am fortunate to make a good salary and I can't come close buying anything decent in prime Park Slope. I could rent, but just barely.
I totally agree. There are other parts of the city where people can find something cheaper. Alot of the newcomers are afraid or unwilling to venture out into other areas of the other boroughs of the city.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions