HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 13, 2022, 9:51 PM
Community Guy

This is hilariously awesome; also sad.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/elks-fan...reak-1.6193143

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 14, 2022, 4:41 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
This is hilariously awesome; also sad.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/elks-fan...reak-1.6193143
I bought two seats of that ticket, so we shall see how many games I get 'extra', though I would love for the Elks to just win against the Riders on the 11th just to end the home losing streak.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2022, 3:39 PM
Community Guy

The Oil are not even in the top 1/2 of the league nearing the Christmas break (albeit tied) after a giving The Ducks their third regulation time win of the year, third.

As Woody shared in the post-game, we continue to have a D-crew who make so many mistakes that even 97/29 cannot make up for them; this MUST change and soon. It is simply no longer acceptable at this point in the cycle that we are using games to train top 4 D men. Bouchard is colder than a Siberian High at -14, MINUS FOURTEEN!

The Jets are 6 points up on us with two games in hand, the Leafs 9 pts up.

Other than the Caps and LA, we have the lowest goal differential of the top 16... WITH THE TOP TWO point-getters by a significant margin.

But we are keeping pace with the Stanley Cup Champs and ahead of the Flames so everything is fine, right?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2023, 3:12 PM
Community Guy

*The Sharks

Nice to see everyone chipping in again.

Kostin could very well end up with 15 goals, maybe 20, top 10 in team points; ahead of 13, 71, 56

Felt bad for Campbell and his missed 0

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:26 PM
Community Guy

Multiple sources confirmed to CTV News that an Alberta group is putting together a potential bid to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Calgary, and surrounding communities, and might make the proposal public early next month. Edmonton last hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978, although the city made formal bids for both 2022 and 2026 that were withdrawn.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/joint-cal...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:30 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Multiple sources confirmed to CTV News that an Alberta group is putting together a potential bid to host the 2030 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton, Calgary, and surrounding communities, and might make the proposal public early next month. Edmonton last hosted the Commonwealth Games in 1978, although the city made formal bids for both 2022 and 2026 that were withdrawn.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/joint-cal...eid=b81cde227f
I dont understand why we need to split it between Calgary or Edmonton. One or the other is enough.
"this is why we need HSR" .... no.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 3:46 PM

^ If this bid is to justify building a HSR count me out.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 4:01 PM
Change is good

It doesn't mention that at all in the article... and was just my take on anything when Calgary tries to include Edmonton on bids.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:20 PM

I really liked the commonwealth games when we hosted. But that was then and today, this event does not have the same stature on the world stage.

I am all for promoting Edmonton but there are other events that would be more beneficial and better bang for the marketing buck.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2023, 6:28 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
It doesn't mention that at all in the article... and was just my take on anything when Calgary tries to include Edmonton on bids.
We also have better sports facilities than Calgary for a summer games (i.e. stadiums, tracks, future indoor velodrome, aquatics, etc.) so splitting it would be just for the sake of including them.

I guess they have better horsey racing facilities than us, but that's all I can think of.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2023, 5:24 PM

Para events are part of the Games and are not a separate event.

Core Sports

Swimming events have good facilities in both cities.
Athletics definitely at Commonwealth.
Lawn bowling I believe both cities have good facilities
Road Cycling could be done in both but Calgary would have the more challenging routes.
Triathlon definitely here.
Wrestling, Badminton,
Boxing, Field Hockey, Judo, Netball, Power Lifting, Rugby 7s, Squash, Weightlifting, Table Tennis( Able and Para) could all be done in both cities. we have equally good facilities for these.

Optional Sports
Diving, Archery, Wheelchair Basket Ball, Rhythmic Gymnastics, beach Volleyball and cricket we have equally good facilities for these.

Mountain Bike I would hope we could do it here, The Valley can meet UCI standards and has.
Gun Sports, I know we do not have a facility anymore and I don't know about Calgary. There is a range out at the base though.

Maybe bring back some discontinued sports. Syncro Swimming, Water Polo, Archery, Basket Ball, Fencing, Rowing (Leduc), Tennis and 10pin bowling all can be done at facilities here.

I haven't seen the latest but some of the newer Olympic sports may be added. an event like Beach Sprints in Rowing(its coming to the Paris Olympics) could be done at Wabumum or Bears Paw.

CGF announced a new games roadmap that will, starting with the 2026 Games, change the requirements for sports competed at the games.[8] The roadmap suggests that approximately 15 sports should be competed at each games. There will be a new category of "Compulsory Sports", containing just athletics and swimming as well as their para-sport disciplines, and these will be the only sports that hosts are required to include in their program. The category of "Core Sports" will be expanded to include all other current core and optional sports; however, these will not be mandatory and it will be at the hosts' discretion how many are included in their program. Hosts will also be permitted to propose other sports beyond this core list for inclusion based on their popularity in the host nation or region.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2023, 3:50 PM
Community Guy

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:40 PM
Community Guy

The existing agreement between the city and the Edmonton Elks for the use of Commonwealth Stadium expires on March 31. A new five-year agreement, covering a base licence fee, advertising, concession, and ticket surcharge revenue, could net the City of Edmonton about $5 million. The Elks have requested a licence fee waiver for 2023 and 2024 “in consideration of the team’s post pandemic recovery strategies and financial position of the football team.”-Taproot

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 2:42 PM
Community Guy

The city opened up the Northlands Coliseum to the media for a final tour before its demolition, which won’t begin until at least 2025. The arena, which hasn’t been in use since its closure in 2017, is now home to mice and bats. Much of the useable furniture and memorabilia of value has already been removed, leaving behind plenty of debris and dust. The city says it will take about a year to get rid of everything that remains before the structure itself can come down. City council approved $35 million for its demolition during last year’s budget discussions.
-Taproot

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 3:24 PM

Quote:
The city opened up the Northlands Coliseum to the media for a final tour before its demolition, which won’t begin until at least 2025. The arena, which hasn’t been in use since its closure in 2017, is now home to mice and bats. Much of the useable furniture and memorabilia of value has already been removed, leaving behind plenty of debris and dust. The city says it will take about a year to get rid of everything that remains before the structure itself can come down. City council approved $35 million for its demolition during last year’s budget discussions.
-Taproot
You can't make this stuff up: Some bats now reside in the building and we can only try to remove them during certain times of the year.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2023, 3:39 PM

Sad to see it go.

no political or financial will to repurpose the building.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2023, 3:43 AM
Community Guy

2025 All-Star game??? Maybe...

Gotta love the other comments and how it speaks to what this game has become to a certain degree.

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/we-re-co...raft-1.6291901

Old Posted May 2, 2023, 11:07 PM
Community Guy

Cheer on the Edmonton Oilers in Sir Winston Churchill Square
May 2, 2023

Watch the Edmonton Oilers in Game 1 of Round 2 of the Stanley Cup Playoffs in Sir Winston Churchill Square presented by Rogers Sportsnet. This large screen viewing is open to all ages. Bring your lawn chairs and cheer on the Oilers at this free family-focussed, alcohol-free viewing party.

Date: Wednesday, May 3
Time: 6:30 to 11:30 p.m.
Puck drop: 7:30 p.m.

Food trucks will be on site for those wishing to purchase snacks. Play a game of ping pong, or large format checkers or chess leading up to game time or between periods. Check out the Gateway Arches art installation from The Works Art and Design Festival.

Whether you’re out on the town or cheering from home, we encourage you to continue to celebrate safely and responsibly.

Sir Winston Churchill Square is easily accessible by bus and LRT. Visit edmonton.ca/transit for route and schedule information.

Parking is available in the City Hall parkade, the Canada Place parkade, and in the Stanley A. Milner Library Parkade. Each of these parkades has elevator access for accessibility.

The playoffs viewing parties have been made possible by the Edmonton Downtown Business Association, Fresh Air Cinemas, the Oilers Entertainment Group and the City of Edmonton.

Ford Tailgate Party and Fan Park

The Ford Tailgate Party in Fan Park and the Scotiabank Playoff Plaza in ICE District are now 18+ events with enhanced procedures for entry, including age verification, wrist banding and no re-entry. Outdoor watch parties in ICE District will remain first-come-first-serve events, and will open two hours before puck drop to allow for additional ingress time before the game starts. Admission into both spaces continues to be free of charge and will feature adult beverages, food trucks, DJ entertainment and the game with sound on giant outdoor screens.

For more information:
edmonton.ca/playoffs
ICE District
nhl.com/oilers

Media contact:
Karen McDonnell
Communications Advisor
Communications and Engagement

After hours media line: 780-423-5956

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 6:47 PM
Community Guy

Not that many seem to care these days, but the Elks have released their theme nights:

https://www.goelks.com/2023/05/05/el...-game-tickets/

Old Posted May 5, 2023, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Not that many seem to care these days, but the Elks have released their theme nights:

https://www.goelks.com/2023/05/05/el...-game-tickets/
Hard to have people care when you can't win at home for two seasons in a row.

I'm a big CFL fan but and I love the Elks/Eskimos organization but man, it's hard to get people to want to come out of games when you don't win and do next to nothing in regards to advertising the team in the community.

I have faith in Vic but we need to start winning again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton