HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:23 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's gotta be a bigger chain that can draw big crowds throughout the year, and afford to keep the doors open in the winter.

An independent won't work there.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:25 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ maybe a Stella's can move in there...
No thank you.

We have enought Stella's locations to satisfy people that like boring overpriced food.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:47 PM

Ok, Don't jump down my throat...but If we're looking at 24/7..365.242/days per year........

McDonalds. I don't eat their or want it their but as mentioned, what do you put in this location year round to draw the clientele to a remote location on a cold and windswept bridge during 6 months of winter? I used the lowest common denominator in my selection. Just looking for a semi-permanent solution.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 8:51 PM
the first stamp is free

^ it's going to have to be something like that.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 9:06 PM

And a corporate store, I don't think that anybody would buy a franchise for that location.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 9:59 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Salisbury House would be a good fit.

Old Posted May 1, 2014, 11:54 PM

Can't think of anything that would make me want to park my car at the end of a bridge and walk to the middle. Perhaps a heated tunnel would encourage more customers.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:31 AM

Didn't Sal's have a scheduled golf car type shuttle service to bring you from you car to the restaurant and back? That would have been when there was parking where the Human Rights Museum is now.

The now closest lot is the forks one on the west side of Israel Asper way. And you have to go through the forested area behind the skate board bowl and Scotia Bank Stage. Not something I would want to attempt after dusk.

Even getting supplies in must be a challenge as on Google Maps I don't see a truck loading zone near by

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
No thank you.

We have enought Stella's locations to satisfy people that like boring overpriced food.
Stella's is not expensive at all. Not every dish is a home run, but if Stella's plates are boring, you must find many of the menus in this city to be downright fecal.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:48 AM

I'm not sure the restaurant on the bridge needs to be an attraction to get people parking and walking to.

What it needs is simply to serve the people who are already on foot, and it needs more of those types of people. Completion of CMHR and a few more condo/apartments around Tache/Provencher or Waterfront/Pioneer would do the trick.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowghost View Post
Can't think of anything that would make me want to park my car at the end of a bridge and walk to the middle. Perhaps a heated tunnel would encourage more customers.
I think they'll have a hell of a time finding anyone long-term. Maybe it could be some kind of street food experience in the summer, and a "pop-up shop" restaurant in the winter with different local restaurants/chefs having a go at it.

Either way, the city is going to have to eat costs.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:27 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
Stella's is not expensive at all. Not every dish is a home run, but if Stella's plates are boring, you must find many of the menus in this city to be downright fecal.
I didn't say it was expensive. I said it was overpriced.

$10 for a breakfast plus $2-something for coffee ($15+ after tax and tip) for a marginally good breakfast is overpriced. I'd rather just go to Luda's, The Don, Falafel Place or Johnny's for breakfast.

As for their lunch menu, it could really use a refresh. They haven't changed it in years and I find most of their sandwiches (and burger) pretty dry and heavy on the bread... and for the love of all that is good put some vegetables into the house salad.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowghost View Post
I don't know if this is a joke or you're too stupid to realize that you definitely walk further to the places you go in the suburbs when you park your car.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 12:46 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
I don't know if this is a joke or you're too stupid to realize that you definitely walk further to the places you go in the suburbs when you park your car.

The public obviously doesn't agree as all attempts have resulted in failure.

The exact same business operates successfully nearby. It is all about the difficulty of access.

Last edited by Riverman; May 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 2:38 PM

[QUOTE=cllew;6561422]Didn't Sal's have a scheduled golf car type shuttle service to bring you from you car to the restaurant and back? That would have been when there was parking where the Human Rights Museum is now.

The now closest lot is the forks one on the west side of Israel Asper way. And you have to go through the forested area behind the skate board bowl and Scotia Bank Stage. Not something I would want to attempt after dusk.

Even getting supplies in must be a challenge as on Google Maps I don't see a truck loading zone near by[/QUOTE]

When Sals was operating I had seen on numerous occasions their small commissary box truck drive right up to the door during early morning.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 5:45 PM

Sal's was an exception with their own commissary for supplies and they had a few smaller trucks.

Pretty well everyone else in the food service industry uses one of the big restaurant delivery companies (Sysco, GFS, Pratts) and Coke or Pepsi.

As far as I have seen they all do route deliveries in Semi trailers and I don't think they are going to drive on the pedestrian bridge. They would have to park off site and have the boxes shuttled into the middle of the bridge.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0twired View Post
I didn't say it was expensive. I said it was overpriced.

$10 for a breakfast plus $2-something for coffee ($15+ after tax and tip) for a marginally good breakfast is overpriced. I'd rather just go to Luda's, The Don, Falafel Place or Johnny's for breakfast.

As for their lunch menu, it could really use a refresh. They haven't changed it in years and I find most of their sandwiches (and burger) pretty dry and heavy on the bread... and for the love of all that is good put some vegetables into the house salad.
Stella's skates by on reputation, and the older locations have that attitude too.

Old Posted May 2, 2014, 6:59 PM

Stella's seems like Sals for the hipster generation.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 12:05 AM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Stella's seems like Sals for the yuppie generation.
Fixed that for you.

Old Posted May 3, 2014, 11:51 AM

Hipster/beat/hippy/yuppie/hipster/millennial=same shit, different day fallacious generational reasoning.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan