HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 2:41 AM
The Vomit Bag.

facilities clearly don't matter much for the faculty of social science (which ranks among the top 100 globally). Just look at our sorry bldg

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 5:35 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Don't know about you but personally I'd love to have an office in that building. I'm always so envious of the prof's (or TA's) little private space on campus.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2011, 1:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^our main washroom has been out of order for 1 year running. Ivey's got a fireplace.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2011, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^our main washroom has been out of order for 1 year running. Ivey's got a fireplace.
Washrooms always seemed to be something that got neglected at Western. Some of the washrooms at Weldon Library were disgusting, especially during exams.

At least at Fanshawe, they get cleaned several times a day.

Last edited by manny_santos; Nov 11, 2011 at 4:24 AM.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2011, 6:29 PM

On my latest trip to Toronto I noticed something interesting near York University.

Not only does the City of Toronto have signs allowing overnight parking on streets near the university, but they allow it 365 days a year.

It's a novel concept that might be worth exploring in London near UWO. The only difference I could see is that the neighbourhood I saw these signs in appear to be almost exclusively housing built for students, and not established neighbourhoods which have students living in them. Still, if Toronto can do it, I'm sure a smaller city like London could do it.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 3:58 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
On my latest trip to Toronto I noticed something interesting near York University.

Not only does the City of Toronto have signs allowing overnight parking on streets near the university, but they allow it 365 days a year.

It's a novel concept that might be worth exploring in London near UWO. The only difference I could see is that the neighbourhood I saw these signs in appear to be almost exclusively housing built for students, and not established neighbourhoods which have students living in them. Still, if Toronto can do it, I'm sure a smaller city like London could do it.
There must be a catch. One of my friends goes to York and was telling me about how outrageous parking was. Since the University is not really on any decent transit routes, everyone wants to drive there. I would imagine that those streets would be overwhelmed with cars belonging to students who commute in from the far corners of the GTA.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 2:10 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Western throws the baby out with the bathwater.

http://www.uwo.ca/

Goodbye tower logo, hello generic crest:

http://communications.uwo.ca/western..._branding.html

No longer UWO, now Western University.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 3:32 PM

I do not agree with changing the names of well-established brands, because it creates too much identity confusion.

What I dislike the most is omitting "Ontario" because the new name makes no reference to London. Western what? Western sandwich? Western Prince Edward Island? Western Toronto? (The last one actually makes some sense)

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 5:01 PM
User Registered

wtf. That is all.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:13 PM

Logo is fine. Name change is not.

Western University Canada. Must be on Vancouver Island, or in some hillbillie Alberta town...

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 6:21 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Western. That University with Sergio Leone dept of music (which would actually be cool). Yee-haw.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Western throws the baby out with the bathwater... No longer UWO, now Western University.
Just like marketing for everything else these days: dumb'd down to one word. The school wants to aggressively market itself to the kids, and this sort of thing is all they know.

Secondly, the school want's an easily identifiable moniker and most other schools are recognized with one name: McMaster, Toronto, Ryerson, Queen's, McGill, Harvard, Yale, Northwestern, Caltech, Princton, etc.

Still, I see it as pandering. Time will tell. The new president did say that he was going to shake things up.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 11:28 PM

Terrible. Cheapens the brand and makes it sound like it's in BC or something (not to mention the crest looks vaguely like the BC flag).

Old Posted Jan 27, 2012, 11:33 PM
Torontonian Refugee

This reminds me a lot of the Waterloo rebranding controversy a few years back. The students were most unimpressed with the new logo, and rightfully so, because it was also uninspired and dumbed down. This one looks like a ripoff of UBC, but I can tolerate that.

I cannot tolerate the name change, it's an affront to years of tradition and a well-established image. Chakma can go to hell if this is his idea of progress.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 4:56 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Video Link

icing on dog poop?

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 11:10 PM

That video angers me...of course people just call it "Western" but that's only because it's faster to say. That doesn't mean they should change their entire branding! Western University Canada is just stupid.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 1:14 AM
The Vomit Bag.

I won't be in any rush to replace my business cards. Most of the faculty that I have talked to are not at all fond of this rebranding. So generic. So uninspiring. So inferior to the familar "Tower" logo.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 5:54 AM
Torontonian Refugee

Found an interesting article on animal mummies today. Notice the anthropologist is from The University of Western Ontario.

http://bikyamasr.com/55175/in-death-...their-animals/

This actually also reminded me of an article on "Buckyballs" (gigantic carbon molecules) a while back, where the astronomer and lead researcher was from The University of Western Ontario.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...nes-space.html

Actually, that reminded me of yet another research initiative: an AIDS vaccine, developed and approved for human testing under the supervision of Chil-Yong Kang. Even this Chinese propaganda piece gives credit to The University of Western Ontario:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2...t_14411391.htm

THIS is the Goddamn reputation we built. You'd have to be an incredibly dense fool to just throw it all away.

Last edited by Wharn; Jan 29, 2012 at 4:43 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 7:48 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yep. I am willing to be a signatory to any petition (and otherwise lend my voice of dissension), etc., but I must refrain from spearheading the undertaking.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
^yep. I am willing to be a signatory to any petition (and otherwise lend my voice of dissension), etc., but I must refrain from spearheading the undertaking.
And you know what you're talking about too. I was disappointed to see the London Free Press only interviewed marketing "experts" who agreed with the change. Those interviewed who disagreed were found in man-on-the-street interviews and in the Gazette office.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > London Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy