HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Indications from the council meeting was that this would be a residential only (17 units) development with no public access ie commercial. Did not mention anything re parking. Gotta figure the developers have to have a plan
Oh for sure they have a plan. We were looking at office space on the ground floor and ~10 units above, which would necessitate on-site parking. Steal of a deal for them. This should be premium space.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2024, 9:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddypop View Post
Indications from the council meeting was that this would be a residential only (17 units) development with no public access ie commercial. Did not mention anything re parking. Gotta figure the developers have to have a plan
Don’t think there is a requirement to have parking for residential developments in the core.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:46 AM

Not completely sure how I feel about this. Not every structure can be saved in perpetuity but in this case my first reaction is "let's not be too hasty". The fact that DND refuses to just release the report also raises questions.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...port-1.7258411

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 11:49 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Everything can be saved, just so long as you are willing to put the financing, effort and resources into it.

The city of Fredericton just has to decide if the effort is worth it.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:22 PM
New Brunswick booster!

It's not the municipality, it's federal.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
It's not the municipality, it's federal.
Fair, but, I'm sure Freddy could buy the building if they wanted it preserved.

Or, make the point to DND that the cost of historic preservation could probably be counted towards the NATO 2% requirements.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 12:44 PM

The cost of those thousands of uniformed bureaucrats that sit in Ottawa count so why shouldn't this?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 1:19 PM

Yeah, it's just a small woodframe building. Even with today's construction prices, rebuilding it shouldn't be that expensive, and restoring it, while costing more, shouldn't be THAT outrageous. Especially since the outer frame is relatively intact; gut it and rebuild the insides and it would probably be fine.

Sounds like there's basically a departmental tug-of-war going on between DND and the City, and possibly the Feds and Province to decide what to do with it, with competing budgets and desires.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2024, 2:37 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Yeah, it's just a small woodframe building. Even with today's construction prices, rebuilding it shouldn't be that expensive, and restoring it, while costing more, shouldn't be THAT outrageous. Especially since the outer frame is relatively intact; gut it and rebuild the insides and it would probably be fine.

Sounds like there's basically a departmental tug-of-war going on between DND and the City, and possibly the Feds and Province to decide what to do with it, with competing budgets and desires.
Maybe they should announce it this week as yet another investment that increases overall DND spending to GDP at the NATO conference this week?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 12:38 PM

So I know it's just a Seasonal Store, but as the other retail threads have noted (I could've sworn we had a Fredericton Retail thread but I can't find it now....), Spirit Halloween have announced SJ and Moncton locations for this year.

In the past, they've gone into Uptown Centre, but that's full now I think. I don't think Good Life will be gone in time for them to come in.

Similarly, Corbet Centre is also full, and once again the BB&B location will be in Reno mode for Good Life, so that will not be an option.

So I'm wondering what places they might be able to get to come to Freddy this year? The Uptown area in general is pretty full at the moment.

Maybe one of the slots at 2NC will be complete enough for them to come in there? Would they want a Northside location?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:12 PM

Quote:
So I know it's just a Seasonal Store, but as the other retail threads have noted (I could've sworn we had a Fredericton Retail thread but I can't find it now....), Spirit Halloween have announced SJ and Moncton locations for this year.

In the past, they've gone into Uptown Centre, but that's full now I think. I don't think Good Life will be gone in time for them to come in.

Similarly, Corbet Centre is also full, and once again the BB&B location will be in Reno mode for Good Life, so that will not be an option.

So I'm wondering what places they might be able to get to come to Freddy this year? The Uptown area in general is pretty full at the moment.

Maybe one of the slots at 2NC will be complete enough for them to come in there? Would they want a Northside location?
I think we've reached the point where a new major retail mall is required. As you've stated, with Regent, Uptowne and Corbett full, there is no longer any "room at the inn". Any new national or local retailers that want to set up shop on the southside will need to have someone step up an build new properties. Until then, the Northside is their only option.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 3:48 PM

I think 2NC will probably cover that demand for the short term. Sure it is on the Northside, but there's lots of space and traffic there. So that should buy some time until someone can sort things out Uptown.

As for a new Southside retail node, I suspect our best bet for the future will be to pick somewhere along Route 8, out by Leons/Co-op and/or along Knowledge Park Drive. It's probably a bit further away than some retailers might like, but there's a LOT of growth there, it's got good access to the Uptown and Downtown, and there's plenty of space there.

If another Smart Centre or similar retail node was set up there, especially if a big retailer moves out (Walmart moving would probably be the key thing, as unlikely as it might be).

Otherwise, the only other real possibility would be a land transfer to remove eco protection for the Bishop Drive area, and do a big build up in there.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 4:37 PM

Quote:
I think 2NC will probably cover that demand for the short term. Sure it is on the Northside, but there's lots of space and traffic there. So that should buy some time until someone can sort things out Uptown.

As for a new Southside retail node, I suspect our best bet for the future will be to pick somewhere along Route 8, out by Leons/Co-op and/or along Knowledge Park Drive. It's probably a bit further away than some retailers might like, but there's a LOT of growth there, it's got good access to the Uptown and Downtown, and there's plenty of space there.

If another Smart Centre or similar retail node was set up there, especially if a big retailer moves out (Walmart moving would probably be the key thing, as unlikely as it might be).

Otherwise, the only other real possibility would be a land transfer to remove eco protection for the Bishop Drive area, and do a big build up in there.
I assume you mean Route 7.

The upcoming Doak Road master plan may be a preview of where future retail development may take place. Assuming the city aims to create a growth node around Doak Road, retail along Alison Boulevard would make a lot of sense.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2024, 6:28 PM

Quote:

In the past, they've gone into Uptown Centre, but that's full now I think.
Uptown Centre’s leasing plan that was updated back at the end of May shows one 6,130 square feet spot next to Thrifty’s as available.

The Moncton Spirit Halloween will be in a spot that’s 6,800sf so that spot in Fredericton is pretty close in size. The Saint John one will be NB’s biggest location, being in the same 10,000sf unit as last year.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:53 AM

On my way to work tonight I saw sight prep beginning for the new Colpitts developments on York behind Sobeys. Crushed rock roads seem to have been laid out across the site where driving lanes will likely be.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 12:05 PM

Not sure if there's an expansion planned currently at Regent Mall, but the South-East corner (loading bay area) of the Walmart parking lot is being dug up. Also, the inside, a segment of the store is currently closed off.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
On my way to work tonight I saw sight prep beginning for the new Colpitts developments on York behind Sobeys. Crushed rock roads seem to have been laid out across the site where driving lanes will likely be.
Wow, I was beginning to think this development was never happening.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 3:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
Wow, I was beginning to think this development was never happening.
I had faith that the York Street development would move forward but not high confidence in the Cenntenial Building rebuild

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 3:25 PM

Colpitts were likely waiting until some of their developments around the west end of prospect were finishing up the framing phases before moving on with York. The building off Duncan Lane is done with their crane now I think.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2024, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin6463 View Post
Colpitts were likely waiting until some of their developments around the west end of prospect were finishing up the framing phases before moving on with York. The building off Duncan Lane is done with their crane now I think.
Keep in mind that that those buildings are wood framed and these will likely be concrete. I believe this will be Colpitts' first foray into concrete buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces