HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
We know we will have an electric ferry running to DT from Bedford. We also know it will be operated by Halifax Transit. We further know that Halifax Transit has demonstrated consistently that they are incapable of running an even halfway-decent transit system based upon decades of poor experiences.
Two observations:

1) I used the Halifax Transit (and its predecessor organizations) ferry service for decades, sometimes every workday for years on end when I worked in downtown Halifax, and loved it. On the whole, I've had very, very few bad experiences with it. It's always seemed to me to be the part of the transit system that works best. The bus system? Not nearly so pleased...though thankfully I didn't have to use it much.

2) I've read that the Bedford ferry line will offer 18-minute service to downtown, with departures every 15 minutes. It will be really interesting to see how that schedule will be maintained when the ferries will have to yield - for probably as much as 5 minutes a time, or more - to the much larger vessels which frequently transit the Narrows. I assume there's a plan for that...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:16 PM

Any word on what may happen on the lands that surround the terminal? I don't know too much about the area but wasn't it infilled in the past decade or so and owned by Build NS?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Two observations:

1) I used the Halifax Transit (and its predecessor organizations) ferry service for decades, sometimes every workday for years on end when I worked in downtown Halifax, and loved it. On the whole, I've had very, very few bad experiences with it. It's always seemed to me to be the part of the transit system that works best.
It must work really well when they cannot staff the boats due to personnel issues, which has been far too common for the last year or so. Or when they take boats out of service for refit/repair and have no spare equipment.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
No, it’s not different. To me, it mostly appears that you like to pick winners and losers, based upon your personal preferences. Nothing more complicated than that.
Unworthy of you.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:24 PM

Quote:
It must work really well when they cannot staff the boats due to personnel issues, which has been far too common for the last year or so. Or when they take boats out of service for refit/repair and have no spare equipment.
I imagine you're right. Since I've been back working on the Dartmouth side for the past several years, I didn't really ever see much of that.

But I really wasn't defending Halifax Transit (nor would I) per se, merely commenting on my experience with the ferry system. For that matter, much of it pre-dated its absorption by Halifax Transit.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2024, 11:43 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Two observations:

1) I used the Halifax Transit (and its predecessor organizations) ferry service for decades, sometimes every workday for years on end when I worked in downtown Halifax, and loved it. On the whole, I've had very, very few bad experiences with it. It's always seemed to me to be the part of the transit system that works best. The bus system? Not nearly so pleased...though thankfully I didn't have to use it much.
Yeah that definitely makes sense. The ferry doesn't have to deal with road congestion and is big enough to avoid many of the bus crowding issues. I don't tend to take the ferry that often myself since it mostly just means more transfers but I'm sure it's great for people working downtown.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Unworthy of you.
Hey, I mostly enjoy your posts, whether I agree or disagree. However in the case of continual bashing of a service that is just graduating from the conceptual stage and won’t see the light of day for a few years, I have to call it like I see it. Sorry.

Now, after it’s been going for a couple of years, with ample time to work the bugs out, it’s all fair game. At least there will be something to talk about.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 9:57 AM
Cap the Cut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
Hey, I mostly enjoy your posts, whether I agree or disagree. However in the case of continual bashing of a service that is just graduating from the conceptual stage and won’t see the light of day for a few years, I have to call it like I see it. Sorry.

Now, after it’s been going for a couple of years, with ample time to work the bugs out, it’s all fair game. At least there will be something to talk about.

Since when has SSP become a post construction review forum? Quite literally every project announced on this site is discussed and speculated upon and criticized and analyzed and looked at sideways, etc. etc. etc. Why should this project be treated differently?

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:21 AM
Cap the Cut!

Below is a screenshot from the proposed urgent planning changes document with info related to the Mill Cove area.

Screenshot 2024-03-08 11.17.47 AM by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 8, 2024, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
[/B]

Since when has SSP become a post construction review forum? Quite literally every project announced on this site is discussed and speculated upon and criticized and analyzed and looked at sideways, etc. etc. etc. Why should this project be treated differently?
You're right, it shouldn't be. Therefore you should be able to discuss about BRT lines that don't exist yet as well. That's the point I was trying to make.

The excess negativity grates on my nerves a little sometimes, but I should step back and not offer my opinions so much. People have the right to present their ideas as negatively as they want to, and in the end it will be what it will be... success or failure, completely beyond the control of we opinion-givers.

So, my apologies if my comments have been out of line. To Keith as well... I call it like I see it, and am honest in my assertions, but sometimes it can come off as a little too direct, and perhaps harsh? I probably won't change much, as at this point it is what it is... but at least you know it comes from a good place.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 4:23 PM

I'm excited for the new ferry. I just hope they rezone a few key spots for high-density residential to help support the new service. The southern waterfront, the three retail plazas at Mill Cove, and Brookshire Court to name a few. The United Gulf owned lands in Paper Mill should be encouraged to be built especially the Nine Mile Drive extension.

As for transit it appears three full-time routes will service the Mill Cove Terminal (8,91,93). This means direct service to three other park 'n rides (West Bedford, Cobequid, Sackville) which could see more use. These routes cover a lot of area so really I just see the need for increased peak service on 8/91/93 and four new routes (two peak-only, and two local full-time). I'll post those later.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 4:06 AM

For the new routes I focused on where population growth will occur between now and 2028 when the ferry starts service. Bedford is going to continue to be the fastest growing community in HRM. The bulk of that will be in four key areas; Brookline Park, LUB/HPR/Bluewater triangle, Sandy Lake West, and Bedford Commons.

Route 95 - OCEANVIEW - Peak-only route that serves South Bedford using existing streets. Bedford Hwy - Moirs Mill - Royal Masts - Oceanview - Nine Mile - turn around at Peakview Way.

Route 96 - BEDFORD COMMONS - Full-time local service. Bedford Hwy - HPR - Basinview - Meadowbrook - Bedford Hwy - Rocky Lake - Damascus - Duke - Glendale - Cobequid - Cobequid Terminal

Route 97 - BROOKLINE PARK - Full-time local service. Bedford Hwy - HPR - Innovation - West Bedford Terminal - Innovation - Gary Martin - HPR - future Sub-Area 12 road - LUB - Brookline

Route 98 - SANDY LAKE - Peak-only route that serves Sandy Lake West. Bedford Hwy - HPR - Innovation - West Bedford Terminal - Innovation - Gary Martin - HPR - Sandy Lake West.

Old Posted Mar 25, 2024, 2:16 PM
Cap the Cut!

Posting a Mill Cove 'before' pic for reference.

Screenshot 2024-03-25 10.10.29 AM by AJ Forsythe, on Flickr

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure