HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 3:00 PM

750 units is a LARGE chunk of people to be plunking into downtown. Thumbs up to that. I just hope they really put some effort into the architecture – and I don't have much faith in that. A SEA OF GENERIC CUPOLA CORNERS.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 5:07 PM

I'd be happy if they all looked like factories and warehouses.

Something like Lot 24 would be fine with me too.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 6:04 PM
Eurosceptic

I surprisingly like the Oakland Portal. Perhaps it's the mass of it... and the way it's wedged into that site.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 7:25 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by akPITT207 View Post
The PNC tower will have very high ceilings as part of it being the world's greenest skyscraper and all, so PNC's 33 floors are going to make for a taller tower than Oxford's 33 floors. The renderings for Oxford so far are awful though, I hope that they are just for massing purposes and a more respectable building will be proposed once a tenant is secured. If not, then I'd rather see the existing building renovated. And yeah, One Oxford Centre is MUCH more attractive than the building proposed today...
That's funny. To increase daylight they're going to build substantial additional structure...not just longer pieces but also thicker. This sounds very backward.

But kudos to one of my favorite cities anyway.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
I surprisingly like the Oakland Portal. Perhaps it's the mass of it... and the way it's wedged into that site.
I know what you mean, but I still think for little or no additional cost they could have made it look more contemporary,

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 10:00 PM
Northsider

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
750 units is a LARGE chunk of people to be plunking into downtown. Thumbs up to that. I just hope they really put some effort into the architecture – and I don't have much faith in that. A SEA OF GENERIC CUPOLA CORNERS.
There's a architectural style that really need to die soon.

Old Posted May 30, 2012, 11:41 PM

I cringe when I see renderings of new buildings that look generic and bland, especially in prime locations. They're already spending however many millions of dollars as it is, so to not spend a little more money or time to actually create something that's visually appealing, if not also functional and lively is a real disappointment. There's only so much available space in downtowns and it's unfortunate that a law or ordinance can't be put into place to prevent bad design from being erected. Or at least a minimum threshold for making downtown more liveable.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:15 AM

As I was out walking during my lunch break today I noticed that the shops along Forbes in the area of the Gardens footprint are closed or have signs posted that they are moving/closing. So it looks like the Gardens is getting close to some actual demolition/construction happening. I can't wait to see this area of the city develop over the next couple of year. I also really like the new renderings that were released, it looks way better then the original design.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
This is a really large area to be developing. 37 acres is a lot of land. Though it's not hard to believe when you are down there looking across a sea of asphalt parking lots.

Looking back over the DLA renderings again, I'm starting to get excited for this project. The could really do some great things with this area.

Also, I was reading over the Trib's article and they mention:

Quote:
The style of the buildings will be based on the brick and stone used in existing structures in the Strip, according to a representative for Pittsburgh-based DLA+ Architecture, which is designing the project for Buncher.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:20 AM

What I hope for is that they do what they can to keep chains out of the street-level retail. More so than any other part of town, Toby Keith bars or TGI Fridays would be really detrimental to the Strip.

Hopefully they target small businesses and neighborhood necessities like gyms, grocers, pharmacies, etc.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Although this would not be a popular idea initially (after implementation it would likely get more popular), what I-376 really needs is congestion pricing, which in turn could be used to help fund expanded higher peak capacity alternatives (e.g., busways and commuter trains). Although politically challenging, that is the only sort of plan that could work at a reasonable cost to deal with the congestion conditions along these corridors.
I agree. Things should cost what they truly cost. In this case, the environmental impact and the time spent by the commuters should be considered.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 10:35 AM

PNC to purchase vacant Lord & Taylor building Downtown, expects to move 800 employees

I have to admit, I thought Macy's was going to close up the Kaufmann's location and move over to L&T. I like this better!

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 11:02 AM

Wow--I could not be more thrilled with PNC buying the Mellon Bank Branch (and oh the irony). Hopefully they can restore at least a little of the interior, but just a nice exterior renovation with real windows and inside activity will be great.

And dare I say it would be very well complemented by Oxford's Plan B for 350 Fifth Avenue (the renovation as opposed to destruction/new-tower).

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:37 PM

Quote:
What I hope for is that they do what they can to keep chains out of the street-level retail. More so than any other part of town, Toby Keith bars or TGI Fridays would be really detrimental to the Strip.

Hopefully they target small businesses and neighborhood necessities like gyms, grocers, pharmacies, etc.
I would expect both. I doubt what you mentioned will be part of this, but let's not forget, cheesy chains were part of the Strip's history.... at least it's 90's history, if anyone remembers the cheesy college bars...

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 1:51 PM

Unfortunately, new development areas often start with a lot of chains, because they typically have the marketing assets and cross-subsidies necessary to pay decent rent while a new area is first building up a market.

They don't have to stay that way forever, fortunately--if and when a new area matures into a stable retail location, non-chains can start taking more space. So I am not particularly bothered if the first round of tenants in a brand new area include a lot of chains.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
And if they are building "several buildings in the 4-15 story range", that would compliment nicely with the old Riverparc site which will surely be re-incarnated in some form when the housing market heats up again in the coming years.
Buncher's 750 residential units combined with 1200 proposed units in the Arena development might put a damper on the Cultural Trust's willingness to add another 700 units -- or whatever was proposed for RiverParc.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:09 PM

Riverparc already died.

It might be a blessing in disguise.

If all of these fringe area units come to fruition and compound demand for services, restaurants etc etc downtown and that it turns makes the area more desirable, then the Cultural Trust might have a market ready for an even more ambitious plan that really fits with downtown's density.

Riverparc wasn't bad, but downtown really would be great with a signature residential tower or 2...

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:09 PM

Unfortunately Brian is probably right. Buncher will want people who can pay the rent and the chains have more ability to do that.

That being said, there are some better chains to pursue and there are some local chains that at least have some experience. I could easily see Big Burrito doing something there. One of the upscale burger chains could also work.

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:44 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Unfortunately Brian is probably right. Buncher will want people who can pay the rent and the chains have more ability to do that.

That being said, there are some better chains to pursue and there are some local chains that at least have some experience. I could easily see Big Burrito doing something there. One of the upscale burger chains could also work.
Don't forget Crazy Mocha...

Old Posted May 31, 2012, 6:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markson33 View Post
Absolutely agree--we have some decent local chains who might be good openers.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations