HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 6:23 PM

economic impact

When this company is mature and running on all cylinders, is it a $50M, 250M, $500M or $1B company? What is its potential? How many jobs will it create? What is it economic impact on the city/province?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

Here's a comment from Dawn Arnold's Facebook page regarding the upcoming Canadian Internet Registry Association announcement for Moncton.

Sounds like the Fibre Centre is beginning to pay off.

I had no idea that Facebook had a digital presence in Moncton already because of the Fibre Centre - that's big news!!!!

Moncton always was and always will be a Hub City.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2017, 7:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The Fibre Centre is more a facilitator and enabler of internet capability. It provides the groundwork for other internet based companies to build upon.

Moncton's location at the junction of major high speed data lines connecting Europe and North America gives a capacity and speed advantage. Having said this, the advantage would be more for data centres and server farms. The major computer innovation centres would still prefer to be in places like silicon valley, KW or Ottawa, so I'm not expecting a lot of employment.

Still. data centres still require IT workers and maintenance engineers, and these should be good paying positions. I would expect employment in the dozens or hundreds, but not the thousands, but this is still welcome.

What I would like to know is what's going on with BMM Test Labs. They made their big announcement of maybe 1,200 IT jobs in Moncton about two years ago and there is still nothing AFAIK. They still have their facility in Dieppe, but I have seen no evidence of any expansion.

Does anyone who actually knows anything have any insight into any of this????

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 1:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting article which happens to currently be the lead story on CBC.ca

N.B. employers have jobs they can't fill — so they're looking south for job-seekers
Hundreds of people turned up at New York City job fair organized by Moncton-area employers
By Ioanna Roumeliotis and Jennifer Barr, CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:00 AM AT
Last Updated: Apr 18, 2017 7:40 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cans-1.4061508

A very positive article exploring options to deal with about 1,000 high tech job positions in Moncton currently going unfilled. There's lots of interest south of the border, with hundreds showing up at a job fair in NYC. This could be a new way to stimulate population growth in the region - with ex-pat Americans.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 1:58 PM

I work in IT and we are definitely having large issues recruiting Qualified people... its at a point where it hinders growth and prevents projects from happening unless they are sent overseas, which usually results in a very substandard product. People are starting to job hop here because the companies are getting more lucrative in their offers.

The biggest issue is recruiting qualified people... I can think of 10 decent paying positions that we have had open for a year or more that we simply gave up advertising locally for.

Whats interesting is the pay in IT work is fairly even all across canada.. so your dollar stretch's a bit further here, kind of. maybe.. on the negative side tax's here are not great, you are punished for making a middle class salary or owning a vacation home, amenities/childcare to tax dollar ratio are not great.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 2:43 PM

Considering Moncton is the most affordable city in Canada (Source), I have no idea why instead of trying to bring in Americans we're not going to Toronto, Vancouver, etc. and trying to recruit there.

What better motivation than being able to sell your 1-2 million dollar condo and buying a detached house in Moncton using cash and having some money left over!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 3:27 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
What I would like to know is what's going on with BMM Test Labs. They made their big announcement of maybe 1,200 IT jobs in Moncton about two years ago and there is still nothing AFAIK. They still have their facility in Dieppe, but I have seen no evidence of any expansion.

Does anyone who actually knows anything have any insight into any of this????
I suppose the CBC story might explain why BMM Test Labs has not yet expanded in Moncton.........

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I suppose the CBC story might explain why BMM Test Labs has not yet expanded in Moncton.........
There was a story on Radio-Canada a few months ago talking about just this. They reached out to BMM and they released a short statement saying that they were indeed behind schedule because of issues with recruitment but that their ultimate goal still had not changed.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
What better motivation than being able to sell your 1-2 million dollar condo and buying a detached house in Moncton using cash and having some money left over!
I doubt the person with a $1-2M condo wants a detached house in Moncton. Better to go after the GTA suburbanites with insane commutes, especially those who came from the Maritimes to begin with.

Anecdotally I've heard of a lot of people moving to NB from ON or other provinces recently. Hopefully the trend continues.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2017, 6:08 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

There are a lot of middle managers who live in my neighbourhood. I can vouch that many Ontarians who come here to serve their penance before climbing further up the ladder arrive in the city with minimal expectations, but after 2-3 years here do not want to leave, and are generally quite sad when they ultimately receive the promotion they had been hoping for.

They might return to Toronto with a fancy new title and with a big raise, but their standard of living goes down.........

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:30 AM

We get lots of Ontarians and westerners, mostly young, at my work, trying to make their mark while hoping to find something in the big cities. With very few exceptions, they too all are very sad when they leave. This place is easy to fall in love with. Sometimes I wonder, despite its faults, if we don't truly appreciate what we have to offer.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Considering Moncton is the most affordable city in Canada (Source), I have no idea why instead of trying to bring in Americans we're not going to Toronto, Vancouver, etc. and trying to recruit there.

Funny you should say that a lot of Torontonians are moving out of Toronto, and to cities like Hamilton where the price of there condo covers the cost of a house, and potentially 2 cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverD View Post
I doubt the person with a $1-2M condo wants a detached house in Moncton. Better to go after the GTA suburbanites with insane commutes, especially those who came from the Maritimes to begin with.

Anecdotally I've heard of a lot of people moving to NB from ON or other provinces recently. Hopefully the trend continues.
Well if the Ontarian Suburbanites are anything like any member of my family, or anyone I've been friends with who moved for better employment prospects they will not return to small city Moncton. Even if they would find a good job here.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:47 PM

Demolition Of Fire Damaged Office Building At Moncton Sportsdome
http://919thebend.ca/news/646110457/...ton-sportsdome

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Funny you should say that a lot of Torontonians are moving out of Toronto, and to cities like Hamilton where the price of there condo covers the cost of a house, and potentially 2 cars.
That isn't exactly sustainable either, especially if you're commuting into the GTA. Saw the other day that house prices in Hamilton are up over 20% YoY. And in Guelph houses routinely sell for $100k+ over asking due to demand from GTA commuters.

Quote:
Well if the Ontarian Suburbanites are anything like any member of my family, or anyone I've been friends with who moved for better employment prospects they will not return to small city Moncton. Even if they would find a good job here.
I can't speak for Moncton but many people I know from Fredericton who now work in Ontario and Alberta would love to return to the Maritimes. Some close friends of mine lived in Montreal for a few years before returning to Fredericton. There are some exceptions though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2017, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Demolition Of Fire Damaged Office Building At Moncton Sportsdome
http://919thebend.ca/news/646110457/...ton-sportsdome
No loss really, I always thought that building never really suited the sports dome.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 2:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Interesting article which happens to currently be the lead story on CBC.ca

N.B. employers have jobs they can't fill — so they're looking south for job-seekers
Hundreds of people turned up at New York City job fair organized by Moncton-area employers
By Ioanna Roumeliotis and Jennifer Barr, CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2017 6:00 AM AT
Last Updated: Apr 18, 2017 7:40 AM AT
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cans-1.4061508

A very positive article exploring options to deal with about 1,000 high tech job positions in Moncton currently going unfilled. There's lots of interest south of the border, with hundreds showing up at a job fair in NYC. This could be a new way to stimulate population growth in the region - with ex-pat Americans.
CBC TV News special feature on the Moncton job fair story:

Video Link

Scrappy little city indeed!!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 3:43 PM

^^^ That is very cool, lets hope it works out in the cities favour! To bring in that many highly skilled workers would be wonderful for the city, province and country as a whole!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 10:58 AM

Subway

"You will also be seeing some major upgrades ( including lighting ) to the subway underpass....The final details and budget are still being determined." - Counselor, Greg Turner, via a Facebook post by Mayor Dawn Arnold.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutDog View Post
"You will also be seeing some major upgrades ( including lighting ) to the subway underpass....The final details and budget are still being determined." - Counselor, Greg Turner, via a Facebook post by Mayor Dawn Arnold.
I'd love to see decorative lighting there, especially considering its prominent location right in the middle of downtown. Something like this.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoutDog View Post
It's about time this gets done!

Old Posted Apr 21, 2017, 12:42 PM

Will the upgrades include a more prominent "You must be this short to use the Subway?" signage? I think that is the only underpass that has caught more trucks than the Waterloo Road underpass in Fredericton.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces