HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 2, 2012, 4:51 PM

Ouch!!!

Looks like work on the Areva plant is suspended indefinetly. The project manager is still looking for $1 billion in private or public funding to get the project back on line. Areva is currently working on other projects and then will get back to the IF plant upon completion unless an investor is found.

In good news, at least the old Pancheri overpass is being rebuilt this year. I haven't seen any plans but by the looks of the surveyor markings, it will be big. I still don't see why the didn't plan exit/entrance ramps. It would only make sense to have direct interstate access to the busiest surface street in Eastern Idaho...but what do I know.

I.F. City: 56,813
I.F. Metro: 132,073
I.F. Bingham CSA: 178,025

Old Posted Mar 3, 2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IFguy View Post
It would only make sense to have direct interstate access to the busiest surface street in Eastern Idaho...but what do I know.
Government rules. The distance between the current overpass and the Broadway exit is too close. Local officials tried and there is no way to get around the rule. I can't remember exactly how far the Pancheri overpass would need to be pushed south to meet the regs. Something like the south side of the Skyline High School property. Enough that we would not refer to it as the Pancheri overpass. My question is...why not build the overpass with on/off ramps south enough to make it work? Tie it to the west side with a direct latitude west route, and route the east side traffic NE until you run into the current light at the Zion's Bank in Taylor's Crossing. I hope that last sentence makes some sense of what I mean.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastidaho View Post
Government rules. The distance between the current overpass and the Broadway exit is too close. Local officials tried and there is no way to get around the rule. I can't remember exactly how far the Pancheri overpass would need to be pushed south to meet the regs. Something like the south side of the Skyline High School property. Enough that we would not refer to it as the Pancheri overpass. My question is...why not build the overpass with on/off ramps south enough to make it work? Tie it to the west side with a direct latitude west route, and route the east side traffic NE until you run into the current light at the Zion's Bank in Taylor's Crossing. I hope that last sentence makes some sense of what I mean.
I wonder how close exit 118 is to 119 then? In my opinion it would only make the downtown area more desirable. Imagine taking exit 119 to exit 117 and only taking seconds as opposed to waiting through numerous traffic signals. Oh well. Perhaps they can still construct something a little further south where the new events center will be.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 3:40 PM

Finally IF is ready to play ball!

As of last night... the Idaho Falls city council passed an ordinance to make it easier financially for big companies (such as Costco) who have good wages and give a huge economic boon. The funny thing is that the council skipped the final 2 readings and passed this on the first try leading me to believe they wanted to have this in place to lure Costco away from Ammon.

There is currently a battle between Ammon and getting Costco to the corner of Hitt and Sunnyside and Idaho Falls and getting Costco to Snake River Landing.

However this is not JUST for Costco, although right now it is. This could help Idaho Falls lure in bigger industries such as manufacturing and R&D. The ordinance waves certain fees has the city paying for sewer and water upgrades and certain road upgrades as well as other tax relief.

This is only 20 years late but it is good to finally see.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2012, 8:41 PM

Quote:
As of last night... the Idaho Falls city council passed an ordinance to make it easier financially for big companies (such as Costco) who have good wages and give a huge economic boon. The funny thing is that the council skipped the final 2 readings and passed this on the first try leading me to believe they wanted to have this in place to lure Costco away from Ammon.

There is currently a battle between Ammon and getting Costco to the corner of Hitt and Sunnyside and Idaho Falls and getting Costco to Snake River Landing.

However this is not JUST for Costco, although right now it is. This could help Idaho Falls lure in bigger industries such as manufacturing and R&D. The ordinance waves certain fees has the city paying for sewer and water upgrades and certain road upgrades as well as other tax relief.

This is only 20 years late but it is good to finally see.
I've heard that Costco is looking for property in Idaho Falls. Does anything know anything about that?

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 3:32 PM

I've seen a preview of the new Melaleuca headquarters building. It's huge. I can't think of another comparable structure in the Idaho Falls area. When it is approriate, I will see if I can get a rendering and I will post it. In square footage alone it is nearly half the size of the current Salt Palace. I really can't say anything more right now.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:20 PM

Well, here's to hoping that it's tall and not wide. I'm also hoping it'll be a building that the community can be proud of.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2012, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I've seen a preview of the new Melaleuca headquarters building. It's huge. I can't think of another comparable structure in the Idaho Falls area. When it is approriate, I will see if I can get a rendering and I will post it. In square footage alone it is nearly half the size of the current Salt Palace. I really can't say anything more right now.
Was wondering if this was ever going to happen. Can you at least tell us where it is going to be built? Hopefully downtown or just near downtown is what I am hoping for.

So when you say there isn't a comporable building does that include the barley malting plants and the Grand Teton Mall?

Upward or Outward?

Anything you can give would be splendid!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:11 AM

It's certainly not a giant box, but if you are hoping for a tower, you'll be disappointed.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 3:22 AM

Quote:
It's certainly not a giant box, but if you are hoping for a tower, you'll be disappointed.
I hope I'm not being pushy. Hopefully it will be downtown though, right? Also, any kind of time frame of when it will be announced?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 2:04 PM

Quote:
That's too bad. It would be nice if they would at least do a 6 story building and then build out around it. Why Not?

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 6:30 PM

I'll be satisfied if it's built on under-utilized land (like their property downtown) at 5 stories or higher. Other than that, I'll keep my expectations low for the said mystery project.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2012, 8:31 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
I hope I'm not being pushy. Hopefully it will be downtown though, right? Also, any kind of time frame of when it will be announced?
IFguy-
Time to update your signature...new IF Metro population as of 7/1/11=132,073 (Idaho Falls CSA=178,025)!
Spokane, WA-Cd'A, ID CSA....785,302

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemanincda View Post
IFguy-
Time to update your signature...new IF Metro population as of 7/1/11=132,073 (Idaho Falls CSA=178,025)!
Thanks Jim. Got er done!!!

Old Posted Apr 6, 2012, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
I'll be satisfied if it's built on under-utilized land (like their property downtown) at 5 stories or higher. Other than that, I'll keep my expectations low for the said mystery project.
I'm hoping for something in the 4-8 range myself._

Old Posted Apr 13, 2012, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Boo to the location (Exit 113) but $40 million will surely build quite a building.
Where can we get a rendering?

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Boo to the location (Exit 113) but $40 million will surely build quite a building.
Where can we get a rendering?
I've got a rendering, but I need to hold off a bit longer before I post it. Portions of it are still in the design phase so it will likely change a bit anyways. I'm comfortable giving a few more details at this point though. The majority of the building will be 3 stories and a bit sprawly. Yeah, I know you guys were hoping for a bit more height, but what do you expect at that site? I think they are working with more of a campus concept. But the treatments and design features aren't bad. There are a few tower/pinnacle/minaret structures that reach 4 floors and a bit higher at the peak of their pyramid like roofs. The building will house a few theaters/large multi-media conference rooms. There are some very large, pyramid shaped skylights on the roof, I'm guessing to open up the interior space to some natural light. The exterior treatment looks to be consistent if not a step up from the exterior of the buildings already at that exit 113 complex. All in all, I'm not dissappointed. Did you really think Melaleuca would contribute to urban infill? The money the corporation gives is generally very self serving in terms of promotion and/or satisfying their owner's hobbies and personal interests. I do wish they were a bit more authentically charitable and supportive of downtown. Yeah, yeah, I know they fund the fireworks, but "he" has a weird fetish with fireworks so I'm not surprised. For the size of the company, they are one of Idaho Falls' least generous corporations. Idaho Falls' cultural offerings have never benefitted one cent from Melaleuca. Anyways, given their track record, I think the building is going to exceed reasonable expectations. And if you are reading this Melaleuca PR department, go easy on me and realize I'm just trying to be honest with the situation as I have experienced it.

Old Posted May 3, 2012, 3:19 AM

Looks like Woodville is getting a new tallest!

I'll put my faith in the Carr Foundation for downtown development and anything of caliber.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 3:05 PM

[QUOTE=GrandTeton;5688123]Looks like Woodville is getting a new tallest!

I'll put my faith in the Carr Foundation for downtown development and anything of caliber.[/QUOTE

With the new developments and redevelopments downtown (Irish Pub, Memorial Drive, Idahoan Foods, ARTI, ect.) we don't need Melaleuca. Would have been nice but oh well.

In the interest of sprawl however Melaleuca is doing its part. Maybe this will make the area around Exit 113 more desirable for other companies. There is a ton of land out there with little or no added cost to develop. Downtown you add the cost of demolition, infrastructure relocation, costs add up quick.

Wasn't the Carr Foundation part of the group that bought the old Savings Center property? I haven't heard a word about that for quite awhile now.

Old Posted May 4, 2012, 5:50 PM

[QUOTE=IFguy;5689724]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTeton View Post
Looks like Woodville is getting a new tallest!

I'll put my faith in the Carr Foundation for downtown development and anything of caliber.[/QUOTE

With the new developments and redevelopments downtown (Irish Pub, Memorial Drive, Idahoan Foods, ARTI, ect.) we don't need Melaleuca. Would have been nice but oh well.

In the interest of sprawl however Melaleuca is doing its part. Maybe this will make the area around Exit 113 more desirable for other companies. There is a ton of land out there with little or no added cost to develop. Downtown you add the cost of demolition, infrastructure relocation, costs add up quick.

Wasn't the Carr Foundation part of the group that bought the old Savings Center property? I haven't heard a word about that for quite awhile now.
Unfortunately, one of the partners died a while ago and, subsequently, that venture dissolved. There have been some plays for the building though. The most likely one involves an overhall of the existing space for use by a few different downtown-centric organizations, which would be a dissappointing use of the location in my opinion. Given the greenbelt expansion and its proximity to the river and Broadway, it really should be turned into something iconic for the area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West