HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 5:14 PM

Evermore CID explores saving Olympic stadium

The Stone Mountain Olympic tennis stadium was originally supposed to be demolished this month but the Stone Mountain Memorial Association couldn't afford $1.5 million cost of the demolition. The demo was pushed back to 2011 and now a group in south Gwinnett is trying to save it.

http://www.ajc.com/news/gwinnett/eve...ng-280156.html

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:24 AM

^hello new tennis tournament? one can only hope. (hey, cincy's is way out in the burbs too)

i've been starting to film various corridors/districts intown in order to give them more exposure on the net... here are my first two:

Video Link

Video Link

meh?

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
i've been starting to film various corridors/districts intown in order to give them more exposure on the net... here are my first two:
meh?
Cool videos! I love that Marietta Street route and the way it passes by so many great old buildings and new businesses and residences. I love the new 935 Marietta apartment building too. This would make for a sweet BRT or light rail route some day.

Castleberry Hill has so many great old buildings and so much potential. Honestly, I've gotten kinda down about the way that CH, from what I can tell (please correct me if I'm wrong) has not developed commercially and community-wise into the kind of neighborhood it seemed like it was going to end up being by this point. The place seems really dead when I've walked through there on weekend afternoons recently. I think it's possible that the number of gated communities here may be contributing, as they often do, to a lack of openness and community spirit in the area.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 3:48 PM

I would move to Castleberry Hills if it went back to being known as Snake Nation.

Stone Mountain is not a good location long-term for the tennis tournament. Another brilliant outcome from the worst Olympics ever.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 6:18 PM

Vine City MARTA Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
^hello new tennis tournament? one can only hope. (hey, cincy's is way out in the burbs too)

Video Link

Video Link

meh?
Nice videos. That's Vine City MARTA Station in your second video and not GWCC/Dome. Both stations are have great access to the Georgia Dome though.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2010, 8:41 PM

crud - thanks for the correction. i'll fix it sometime and reupload...

Old Posted Feb 3, 2010, 11:36 PM

Well a friend of ours tells me Atlanta is getting some big fancy new high school in Buckhead, which is probably the first one on the north side of town in 60 years when people started moving out to the burbs. That is pretty big news for the city considering these things cost a fortune.

Dang kids are crawling all over the place nowadays, which is fine as long as they stay off people's lawns and don't go around cutting donuts day and night.

New school

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:56 AM

Lender forecloses on Peachtree Pine shelter

A new lender has foreclosed on the massive homeless shelter run by the Metro Atlanta Task Force for the Homeless, which operates at the corner of Peachtree and Pine streets in Midtown.

Bob Cramer, chairman of the board of the task force, confirmed Wednesday that they had received a foreclosure notice this week, and the group has a month to come up with more than $500,000 to pay off the overdue loans.

Cramer said the task force had been trying to renegotiate the loans it had with Mercy Housing, a nonprofit lender in Colorado, and the Institute for Community Economics, a nonprofit in Massachusetts but the nonprofits chose to sell the loans to a group called Ichthus Community Trust, which foreclosed.

"The balloon note was due over a year ago but I think it is important to note that all the interest has been paid through February," Cramer said. "We were trying to work it out."

The task force has been fighting with the city of Atlanta about its controversial shelter, which at time houses more than 700 homeless men.

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/lend...ss-290533.html

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 4:29 PM

Well you have to wonder where all the homeless people would go if they can't stay downtown. Does anybody have a backup plan?

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Well you have to wonder where all the homeless people would go if they can't stay downtown. Does anybody have a backup plan?
The local government runs plenty of homeless shelters.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 7:14 PM
Sustainable urbanism

Quote:
Other shelters have already said they have the capacity to take in everyone who stayed at Peachtree-Pine.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 7:24 PM

Well I read somewhere that forcing the homeless out of downtown takes them away from all the jobs down there.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Well I read somewhere that forcing the homeless out of downtown takes them away from all the jobs down there.
hmmm, really?

where did you read that?

i read somewhere there are more numerous and appropriate service type jobs for someone transitioning from homelessness to self-sufficiency in gwinnett county alone than there are in all of downtown.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2010, 8:19 PM

Well I think I read it here. They were saying you can't move them out because of all the jobs downtown and they need the transit, but who knows?

Old Posted Feb 5, 2010, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Southpark already solved that problem for us:
http://smotri.com/video/view/?id=v23600cbd7

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 3:16 PM

Johns Creek!

USTA Southern is proud to announce that the Atlanta Tennis Championships will be held July 17 - 25, 2010 at the Atlanta Athletic Club. This event will serve as the kick-off to the 2010 Olympus US Open Series. We will be announcing players and additional tournament information soon.

Premium tickets for this exciting event will go on sale February 16, 2010 at 9am ET. You may download your order form at www.atlantatennischampionships.com. Forms received before this date and time will not be accepted. Order forms can be mailed to or dropped off (no faxes) at Atlanta Tennis Championships 5685 Spalding Drive, Norcross, GA 30092. Seat selection is first come, first served and will take place at the Premium Ticket Seat Selection event in May. Specific details to follow soon. Only a limited number of Champagne Tables and Box Seats are available, so act fast!

Win a piece of tennis history!
For each premium ticket order received prior to March 20, 2010 the buyer will be entered into a drawing to win this very unique, beautiful photograph of four of the greatest tennis players in the world - Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer and Rod Laver, taken after Federer won his 15th Grand Slam title. It also comes with four autographed tennis balls from each of these great champions. Included is an Ace Authentic Hologram and Certificate of Authenticity to protect your investment. You will receive one entry for each Box Seat and/or four entries for each Champagne Table purchased. There will be only one winner for this unique opportunity, so don't miss out. Get your ticket order in today.

For tournament information, please call 678.527.2138 or e-mail tickets@atlantatennischampionships.com.

Last edited by ATLaffinity; Feb 10, 2010 at 6:00 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2010, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
USTA Southern is proud to announce that the Atlanta Tennis Championships will be held July 17 - 25, 2010 at the Atlanta Athletic Club. This event will serve as the kick-off to the 2010 Olympus US Open Series. We will be announcing players and additional tournament information soon.

Premium tickets for this exciting event will go on sale February 16, 2010 at 9am ET. You may download your order form at www.atlantatennischampionship.com. Forms received before this date and time will not be accepted. Order forms can be mailed to or dropped off (no faxes) at Atlanta Tennis Championships 5685 Spalding Drive, Norcross, GA 30092. Seat selection is first come, first served and will take place at the Premium Ticket Seat Selection event in May. Specific details to follow soon. Only a limited number of Champagne Tables and Box Seats are available, so act fast!

Win a piece of tennis history!
For each premium ticket order received prior to March 20, 2010 the buyer will be entered into a drawing to win this very unique, beautiful photograph of four of the greatest tennis players in the world - Bjorn Borg, Pete Sampras, Roger Federer and Rod Laver, taken after Federer won his 15th Grand Slam title. It also comes with four autographed tennis balls from each of these great champions. Included is an Ace Authentic Hologram and Certificate of Authenticity to protect your investment. You will receive one entry for each Box Seat and/or four entries for each Champagne Table purchased. There will be only one winner for this unique opportunity, so don't miss out. Get your ticket order in today.

For tournament information, please call 678.527.2138 or e-mail tickets@atlantatennischampionships.com.
i got the same email and I'm not pleased with the site selected. However i'm hoping its only temporary and that there considering a full time location closer to atlanta in the future. If there not they wont see ticket sales grow year to year

Also no news on a major sponsor wonder if usta south plans to be the major sponsor itself.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 4:46 PM

Atlanta leads nation...in cheating

Hey, we made the New York Times!!!

Georgia Schools Inquiry Finds Signs of Cheating

“This is the biggest erasure problem I’ve ever seen,” said Gregory J. Cizek, a testing expert at the University of North Carolina who has studied cheating. “This doesn’t suggest that it was just kids randomly changing their answers, it suggests a pattern of unethical behavior on the part of either kids or educators.”

Old Posted Feb 12, 2010, 9:03 PM

Tropics

I think I need to go to Trader Vics tonight and pretend I'm Kauai. Or maybe just walk to the Porter instead....

I'm gonna get you, General Beauregard Lee!!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2010, 3:03 PM

Well it looks like the oversupply of housing in the city is about to dry up.

Is Atlanta Running Out of New Homes?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta