HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen LaRose View Post
What have you heard about Mosaic's renos, Migs? All I heard was that they're planning to replace the 2000 temp seats in the North end zone with 4,000 temporary seats (like they bring in for Grey Cup.
Permanent seating the north endzone following this season, new concessions and bathrooms in the East grandstand by extending the concourse outward, new facility in south endzone that will include new dressing rooms, training facility, RiderPride Museum, Green&White Lounge, new Store,and possible sports bar. Add to that new ramping on the West end as well as elevators. Lots more as well but thats pretty much the jist of what I heard. (Its great being best friends with a son of one of BofG)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migs View Post
Permanent seating the north endzone following this season, new concessions and bathrooms in the East grandstand by extending the concourse outward, new facility in south endzone that will include new dressing rooms, training facility, RiderPride Museum, Green&White Lounge, new Store,and possible sports bar. Add to that new ramping on the West end as well as elevators. Lots more as well but thats pretty much the jist of what I heard. (Its great being best friends with a son of one of BofG)
From the sounds of things, it looks as though the Riders aren't going to be building a new stadium any time soon, then. They're not going to pour a lot of money to overhaul Mosaic if they're going to move out within four or five years.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 10:20 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Well, thanks to the Regina booster club this thread officially sucks. Migs, SL, it's all yours.... Maybe you can chat about how the pats get so much more support than the blades in the beautiful brant centre

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilley View Post
Well, thanks to the Regina booster club this thread officially sucks. Migs, SL, it's all yours.... Maybe you can chat about how the pats get so much more support than the blades in the beautiful brant centre
Actually the Pats do get alot more support than the Blades and I agree the Brandt Center is pretty nice with all the new seats......but it will be even nicer after all the reno's and expansion is completed in a few years. Once the expansion is complete through the $80 million dollar Ipsco Place Redevelopment Program we should be getting even more bigname concerts that weren't coming here because of the smaller capacity of the arena.

http://www.ipscoplace.com/UserFiles/...SCO-G-main.pdf

Old Posted Feb 25, 2008, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Actually the Pats do get alot more support than the Blades and I agree the Brandt Center is pretty nice with all the new seats......but it will be even nicer after all the reno's and expansion is completed in a few years. Once the expansion is complete through the $80 million dollar Ipsco Place Redevelopment Program we should be getting even more bigname concerts that weren't coming here because of the smaller capacity of the arena.

http://www.ipscoplace.com/UserFiles/...SCO-G-main.pdf

The biggest problem with getting big rock concerts in Regina is that there are very few such acts who would be a guaranteed sellout at even a larger Brandt Centre. It's the nature of the Regina market.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 6:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

What is the price of beans in Peru?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 6:08 PM
working stiff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
What is the price of beans in Peru?
Like magic beans?

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 8:52 PM

A few notes on this thread:

-CFL to Saskatoon? I can't see it happening. A few hundred million to build a stadium plus not enough corporate support dooms this idea for the forseeable future.

-Brandt Centre expansion resulting in more concerts? Maybe the odd one or two, but nothing too major. Rasing capacity for concerts from 5K to 7K doesn't put you on the A circuit by any means. Credit Union Centre holds 12K plus for end stage concerts, a number that puts them very close to arenas in Calgary and Edmonton, because all of the permanent seating in the building can be used for concerts. It is nice to see them improving Brandt Centre though, it was a bit of a hole.

-CUC falling apart. The renovations that have happened at CUC has definitely brought it forward. It was one of the last arenas constructed without boxes in it, and the change was too long in coming. However, the building is still pretty bare bones, and there are more complaints about the building than that of a Regina sportscaster. Have a look at what the Blades broadcaster has to say about the press facilities:

" I have made it known to people on the bid committee that I wish to be involved in the planning for the building of and design of a new "media-only" gondola for Credit Union Centre. Right now, media facilities at Credit Union Centre barely meet minimum standards, as I understand them, as set down by the Western Hockey League. That's the W.H.L., not Hockey Canada for a World Juniors...for which the C.U.C. is woefully inadequete right now. Make no mistake, The Sports Network (TSN) has been a huge part of the growth of the annual Christmas holiday tournament...to the point where they have a big say on which Canadian city hosts a World Juniors.

They wouldn't like what they see right now...unless the open area of the present Gondola was made their private area...leaving the rest of the media (print and broadcast, from anywhere else) being left out in the cold...literally.

The situation has deteriorated over the years...when I first started broadcasting Blades' games on CJWW in 1994, not only was I located inside one of the Gondola booths...but so was the visiting radio broadcaster. However, as time went on and the need for corporate suites was realized by the building, the decision was made to make the Gondola booths into corporate suites and, first the visiting radio, then our home radio, was told to vacate and work from out of the open area...complete with curtain dividers! In no other W.H.L. rink is the radio broadcasters left in the open with a curtain divider. Yes, in Portland, Seattle and Vancouver the media is in an area where they are amongst the crowd, but that is out of necessity. Chilliwack might be the only place where the situation is less tolerable than it is in Saskatoon, but that building and situation is new!

There hasn't been a nationally-televised C.H.L. Game-of-the-Week on Rogers Sportsnet, outside of the Top Prospects Game, in a long time...mostly because the facilities for them aren't up to their standards. I've been to many rinks and have seen what works and what doesn't work for the media and I think I can be a big help to creating a media-only facility for Credit Union Centre that would work for either the 2010 or 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship, a future Memorial Cup, an important W.H.L. playoff game with television and radio involved...even other sports events!

It won't be the biggest factor in whether Saskatoon gets a major sports event again, but a better-than-average media facility can only help!"

http://www.saskatoonblades.com/News/Loft/#

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 9:23 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 26, 2008, 10:27 PM
Movin' on up

This article is vague at best, and gives the reader absolutely no sense of what is planned for the expansion.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greco Roman View Post
This article is vague at best, and gives the reader absolutely no sense of what is planned for the expansion.

It is vague because the majority of the article is on page one..

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...a7febdab37&p=1

Old Posted Feb 27, 2008, 4:43 AM
Movin' on up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golks View Post
It is vague because the majority of the article is on page one..

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpo...a7febdab37&p=1
Yes, that definately makes a difference

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 10:13 PM

i thought shell Canada was thinking saskatoon not regina and anyways that is like near imposible for shell to move to sask

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 10:14 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpiecowye View Post
i thought shell Canada was thinking saskatoon not regina and anyways that is like near imposible for shell to move to sask
Not from what I've heard. But I'm still thinking it's unlikely.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:11 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

^ What was the original source of this rumor anyway? I seem to remember some Calgary real estate agent's blog mentioning Saskatoon???

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:26 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
^ What was the original source of this rumor anyway? I seem to remember some Calgary real estate agent's blog mentioning Saskatoon???
http://www.realestatewebmasters.com/...tor/1166/show/

You are right. It does say Saskatoon...but it's more of a "Saskatoon?"

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:49 PM
Saskatchewan's Largest

So, where is / was Regina mentioned?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2008, 11:56 PM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
So, where is / was Regina mentioned?
Out on the street my friend. Which I would say holds more water than a blog posting from a year ago.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 1:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF View Post
Out on the street my friend. Which I would say holds more water than a blog posting from a year ago.
Actually it wasn't on the street, it was at the poker table.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2008, 4:17 AM
Saskatchewan's Largest

Quote:
Actually it wasn't on the street, it was at the poker table.
I've heard a lot of things at a poker table...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan