HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:37 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
Hey, how about that Montgomery Outer Loop? Didn't they start work on it from I-85 east of Montgomery down to Vaughn Road and then just stopped work on it?

ALDOT, what's wrong? Can't you just let toll road operators come in and do the job? I'll pay a fee if it means roads being built sooner.
Yeh there is a good bit of roadway and even overpasses underway... I wish it was getting done faster. An I-85 extension can do wonders for West Alabama with Hyundai and Kia setting up shop in the I-85 corridor.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:41 AM
Reliable Source

My read is that Montgomery is not growing very fast - Hyundai excepted. You ought to put your ducks on Huntsville, which is growing like gangbusters.

They tend to put car plants where there is little growth, and they do it for a reason.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:56 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
My read is that Montgomery is not growing very fast - Hyundai excepted. You ought to put your ducks on Huntsville, which is growing like gangbusters.

They tend to put car plants where there is little growth, and they do it for a reason.
Maybe you read wrong? Montgomery is growing, but maybe not as fast as Huntsville. I don't think that is enough argument to say that one roadway is more important than the other anyways. I didn't say the HSV-ATL connector was not important, only that I doubt it gets done before roadways that are past planning and onto funding in Montgomery.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
Maybe you read wrong? Montgomery is growing, but maybe not as fast as Huntsville. I don't think that is enough argument to say that one roadway is more important than the other anyways. I didn't say the HSV-ATL connector was not important, only that I doubt it gets done before roadways that are past planning and onto funding in Montgomery.
My question is when did they start construction on that portion of the Outer Loop and how long has it been idled for?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:03 AM
Reliable Source

What is going on in Huntsville is not just growth at a multiple of Montgomery's rate, but it is very high quality growth. The state needs to do everything to foster that trend.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:15 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilson View Post
My question is when did they start construction on that portion of the Outer Loop and how long has it been idled for?
I'm unsure of how long it has been idle because the portions completed or anything being constructed cannot be seen from an existing roadway with the exception of the start of creating an overpass over Highway 110 [Vaughn Road], about 5 miles east of the city limits. I'm unsure when construction started, I'm only 20, and haven't been following this type of stuff very long. Maybe someone else from Montgomery can chime in.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:16 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
What is going on in Huntsville is not just growth at a multiple of Montgomery's rate, but it is very high quality growth. The state needs to do everything to foster that trend.
Thanks for the info. I was unaware of Montgomery's low quality of growth.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:24 AM
Reliable Source

Nothing negative against Montgomery. I'm just saying Huntsville does in fact have comparatively good quality growth, and it should be encouraged with a fair amount of state road-building largesse. Atlanta has one main thing that a direct connection would benefit Huntsville...the busiest airport in the world. Montgomery has benefitted from having a direct connection; why not extend the same benefit to that area of the state that is developing a large part of the population and wealth.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:41 AM
Midtown Montgomery

Quote:
Nothing negative against Montgomery. I'm just saying Huntsville does in fact have comparatively good quality growth, and it should be encouraged with a fair amount of state road-building largesse. Atlanta has one main thing that a direct connection would benefit Huntsville...the busiest airport in the world. Montgomery has benefitted from having a direct connection; why not extend the same benefit to that area of the state that is developing a large part of the population and wealth.
I understand AND agree with your opinions, but it all boils down to this slow as Christmas system we call ALDOT. All of the large metro areas [HSV, BHM, MGM, and MOB] are waiting on roadways.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Duckz View Post
I understand AND agree with your opinions, but it all boils down to this slow as Christmas system we call ALDOT. All of the large metro areas [HSV, BHM, MGM, and MOB] are waiting on roadways.
That's true.

Huntsville wants its damn Southern Bypass and for the Parkway to be completed.

Birmingham wants I-22 completed, the Northern Bypass, and a solution to the 280 issue.

Montgomery wants the I-85 extension and Montgomery Outer Loop.

Mobile wants a reliever route for the Tunnel and something to be done about the West side by the Airport be it Bypass or something that'll make Airport Blvd. less of a hell and give easier access to the Airport from I-10 and I-65.

The funny thing is that we all blame each other for the reason ALDOT can't get anything done fast. And that's not even factoring in Highway Projects on the table for The Shoals(Patton Island Bridge freeway from the Bridge to Florence Blvd.), Dothan(I-10 spur connector), and the proposed Anniston-Gadsden Freeway connector between I-59 and I-20.

I wish we had more State Senators that had the power that Roger Bedford and Lowell Barron have, only without the scumsucking lack of ethics.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 12:31 PM
Closed account

I road down the Parkway yesterday, and saw the unfinished jail. When are they going to finish it ? Assuming anyone has an idea.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:09 PM
America's Mars Rocket

the Memphis/HSV/ATL freeway has been on the table for 15 years and is considered a high priority corridor. The route has pretty much been determined. The Southern Bypass at least 10 now. Overpasses on the parkway, simple overpasses 10 years and still not finished. ALDOT is not able
to operate in it's current state. The biggest obstacle to Alabama growth
is ALDOT. ALDOT builds roads for the next generation, because very few of us living now will drive on these roads, and that's a sad situation.
This road has been in the planning stages long before I-85 extension.
Here is ALDOT'S route choice announced in 2001, a possible designation could be I-28
or try this link, it may work
http://members.tripod.com/~jkgillis/MemtoAtlRoute1.jpg

Last edited by HSVTiger; Apr 9, 2007 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:30 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
I road down the Parkway yesterday, and saw the unfinished jail. When are they going to finish it ? Assuming anyone has an idea.
Possibly a year, it should be completed if they don't have to tear it down due to structural problems. The city has sued the contractor and architect I think.
It has passes several tests by structural engineers but not sure if it has passed all of them. It's a white elephant for sure.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:35 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Here is a repost of how the MEM/HSV/ATL freeway will possibly tie in at I-565/County Line Rd and
Huntsville International Airport, which also shows the planned third runway (in light blue)and terminal expansion.
Currently a new improved County Line Road interchange is set to get underway soon.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:51 PM
America's Mars Rocket

approved mega site in the megaplex
This is located about halfway between Decatur and Athens

Limestone industrial announcement planned
Limestone County economic development officials plan to announce today that about 1,000 acres of land off of U.S. 31 has been certified as a potential site for new industry.

U.S. Rep. Bud Cramer, D-Huntsville, and Sen. Richard Shelby, R-Tuscaloosa, are expected to attend an announcement at 1:30 p.m. today to announce that the property on U.S. 31 has been certified as an industrial development "mega-site" by the Tennessee Valley Authority, according to Judy Page, who owns about 700 acres of the site.

Page said the property borders U.S. 31 and Interstate 65.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 2:55 PM
America's Mars Rocket

Governor in town

Riley to help open Northrop Grumman HQ
Gov. Bob Riley will join leaders of Northrop Grumman Corp. and local officials at 4 p.m. today to celebrate the opening of Northrop's new 110,000 square foot headquarters building at 301 Voyager Way.

The company broke ground on the new building in Huntsville's Cummings Research Park in June 2005. Northrop Grumman employs 1,200 people in the Huntsville area. This will be one of five buildings on their campus.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 4:36 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVTiger View Post
Possibly a year, it should be completed if they don't have to tear it down due to structural problems. The city has sued the contractor and architect I think.
It has passes several tests by structural engineers but not sure if it has passed all of them. It's a white elephant for sure.
Oh shit, I know it's just a jail, but an 8 story complex helps the skyline somewhat in that area.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 6:12 PM
America's Mars Rocket

some Bridge Street construction aerials (March)
Monaco theaters in foreground adjacent to the Westin.

Looks like they are getting ready for another crane for the office tower, at least
preparing caissons for the foundation. It will be located next to that large
black area in the lower photo. Also the front area retail stores looks like it has increased in number from earlier layouts. May have just have added a fancier front facade.

Last edited by HSVTiger; Apr 9, 2007 at 6:48 PM.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 6:43 PM

Ok regarding the interstate links particularly Atl/Hsv/Mph link:

There is a easy solution to this, it is the natural market based solution..... And is essentially free to the state.

If the state were to allow private infrastructure investors (very big business in practically every nation except US, even Europe) to come in and build their own roads and collect tolls everyone would be better off. Because:

-the can built it cheaper
-they can maintain it better and cheaper
-roads can be built on demand or in anticipation of demand instead of in response to demand which is essentially the problem in all southern states
-Aldot will have resources to concentrate on its existing road system
-its entirely use based
-in many cases different road operators can compete to provide the best road at the best price (for example is it a better use of money to travel on the free state owned roads to from Memphis to Atl, or is the better road worth the fee?) Meaning individual choices in the market, when there are viable alternative choices, can create competition and improve the experience for everyone.

I firmly believe if Alabama set up a private infrastructure development corporation (separate or division of aldot), which uses the states power to buy land for public use, in order to help facilitate investment. We could have all these projects and more completed within a decade:
-Mobile River bridge and bayway expansion
-Mobile outer loop and/or elevated airport expressway
-Montgomery loop
-Jeff Co 280 elevated expressway
-Jeff Co northern beltway
-myriad of need HSV metro projects
-Atl/Memphis via hsv link
-85 to meridian extension

I am 100% serious when I say we could have everyone of these projects completed within 10 years, if private investors were brought in. The world and nation is sooo full of liquidity that is just trying desperately to find a stable home in assets like roads, transit (when viable or subsidized), airports, roads, and everything else of the nature.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2007, 6:46 PM
America's Mars Rocket

new Comfort Inn under construction on University. This site is located next to
Hooters. Cambria Suites hotel should start later this year further west along University

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast