HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcasey25raptor View Post
Poilievre will drag Canada into hell
Trudeau already has. Lesbian couple had the shit kicked out of them by a bunch of immigrants. Diversity is our strength!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bic-slurs.html

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:11 AM

I had help. We came as immigrants but my parents got settled pretty fast - dad's an engineer, mom a teacher. Good home. I never got an allowance, and they barely bought us any toys, cheap vacations, field trips that cost money was usually not allowed, etc. Basically they were cheap but they saved a lot of money, and I learned a lot from their frugality.

They helped me pay off my student loan, so I was able to invest in other assets a little earlier. This gave me about a 5 year head start.

However, all my business and sales skill I learned on my own, against their guidance - and this ended up paying off big time for me. When I started my first business they repeatedly told me to stop wasting time and go get a job. Now they keep telling me how wrong they were lol.

So in a nutshell - good home with stable finances gave me a headstart, but the business acumen was all me. I wouldn't say I'm rags to riches (since I wouldn't say I was ever truly "rags") but I'm certainly self-made.

(My wife's family on the other hand has numerous people I would qualify as "rags to riches" going from poverty in India to multi-multi-millionaires in Canada)

I always hated being forced to do anything I don't want to do (such as waking up early to go to a shitty job that I hate), and the best solution to this problem is to make myself far wealthier than other people. I realized this when I was 20 and it continues to be my main motivater 15 years later. However I never had anyone teach how to become rich from a young age, so had to go out and seek the knowledge on my own - this involved networking with rich people and convincing a few to mentor me. I also failed a bunch of times before I eventually found the winning formula.

Last edited by Build.It; Jul 5, 2024 at 12:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:30 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Trudeau already has. Lesbian couple had the shit kicked out of them by a bunch of immigrants. Diversity is our strength!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bic-slurs.html
Reported on in foreign media but little coverage here in Canada.

Gee, I wonder why?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post

Gee, I wonder why?
Mostly because our media is TMV centric. If this happened in downtown TMV it would get more domestic media coverage. Whereas for international media it feeds the need for stories that get people riled up. Worked on you guys.

Also, an easy search of "Halifax attack" showed that several Canadian media outlets did cover it. Not just right leaning media. Here's CTV News:

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/i-m-terr...lurs-1.6945975

A broader question should be to what extent is an attack in one city worthy of national and international news coverage? Do you want national coverage of this because it was a homophobic attack or because Syrian refugees were involved?

Man. Some of you are easy prey for the algorithms. And you don't even realize it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Gee, I wonder why?
Absolutely no coverage of such incidents allowed in Canada. If they were garden variety homophobes for sure we'd see wall to wall coverage of MAGAs threat to Canada. Anyway you are still much more likely to be groups who've been here much longer often the longest of all than by any first gen immigrants.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 12:46 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Hard disagree. I am a French-speaking Canadian living in a country other than the US and I knew tons about Jussie Smollett right after it happened.

There is a reason for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truenorth00 View Post
Mostly because our media is TMV centric. If this happened in downtown TMV it would get more domestic media coverage. Whereas for international media it feeds the need for stories that get people riled up. Worked on you guys.

Also, an easy search of "Halifax attack" showed that several Canadian media outlets did cover it. Not just right leaning media. Here's CTV News:

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/i-m-terr...lurs-1.6945975

A broader question should be to what extent is an attack in one city worthy of national and international news coverage? Do you want national coverage of this because it was a homophobic attack or because Syrian refugees were involved?

Man. Some of you are easy prey for the algorithms. And you don't even realize it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:02 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Oh and BTW did these two women get assaulted by these guys OR NOT?

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:06 AM

Quote:
Hard disagree. I am a French-speaking Canadian living in a country other than the US and I knew tons about Jussie Smollett right after it happened.

There is a reason for that.
Like I said. Easy prey for algorithms. Your obsession with culture war stuff is going to get you fed culture war stories. Just like my obsession with the war in Ukraine gets me fed stories about the war that are even too pro-Ukrainian for my taste sometimes. You gotta at least be aware of your own biases. Honestly this is why media literacy should be mandatory at every level of education.

We also have too much American news too. And unfortunately their culture war stuff bleeds over so we get coverage of stuff Jussie Smollett. That, at least partly, happens because our media is more likely to blow up something in the US than something happening outside TMV in Canada.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Oh and BTW did these two women get assaulted by these guys OR NOT?
I'm guessing by the lack of police charges and the fact that they're asking for CCTV footage, the answer is "we don't know". As per the CTV report (which BTW is the original report that the foreign media outlets are referencing), the male group is claiming they were attacked first.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:10 AM

Quote:

Gee, I wonder why?
Remarkable as Halifax has a Regional healthy media cohort.There is the journalism School at Kings as well as Global, CTV and CBC .The Halifax Herald picked it up but no TV. Halifax like most City's with a healthy Nightlife can get a bit sketchy after 1:00 AM. It was reported that the young men involved were supposed to be former Syrian refugees from 2016. A young Syrian was recently stabbed to death at the other end of Town by some other local youths. The Syrian community is probably a little on guard here.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
Remarkable as Halifax has a Regional healthy media cohort.There is the journalism School at Kings as well as Global, CTV and CBC .The Halifax Herald picked it up but no TV. Halifax like most City's with a healthy Nightlife can get a bit sketchy after 1:00 AM. It was reported that the young men involved were supposed to be former Syrian refugees from 2016. A young Syrian was recently stabbed to death at the other end of Town by some other local youths. The Syrian community is probably a little on guard here.
That was certainly well covered. No Algorithm required.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
That was certainly well covered. No Algorithm required.
I had to google that. I'm guessing the murder of a 16 year old is a bit more newsworthy than a late-night he said she said that resulted in a broken nose and some bruises.

Quote:
Mostly because our media is TMV centric. If this happened in downtown TMV it would get more domestic media coverage. Whereas for international media it feeds the need for stories that get people riled up. Worked on you guys..
I doubt it. A scrap resulting in a few scrapes and a broken nose is not newsworthy in any of those cities. That's just a Friday night. This story is only significant because a few right-wing British news outlets who have a propensity to cry immigrant picked this up. Take away the homophobic comments or the "they looked Syrian" angle of the news story, and no one would care.

Last edited by theman23; Jul 5, 2024 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:

Gee, I wonder why?
Yup do a google search all sorts of international media comes up. Pride here in winnipeg was interrupted by queers for Palestine. Toronto one shut down. Every day Canada gets worse.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:15 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Like I said. Easy prey for algorithms. Your obsession with culture war stuff is going to get you fed culture war stories. Just like my obsession with the war in Ukraine gets me fed stories about the war that are even too pro-Ukrainian for my taste sometimes. You gotta at least be aware of your own biases. Honestly this is why media literacy should be mandatory at every level of education.

We also have too much American news too. And unfortunately their culture war stuff bleeds over so we get coverage of stuff Jussie Smollett. That, at least partly, happens because our media is more likely to blow up something in the US than something happening outside TMV in Canada.
Well, I am a qualified media relations trainer, among other things.

I also get my information from multiple sources all day, every day. Largely without the interference of algorithms. There are no algorithms at play when I am tuned in to CBC News Network or CTV News Net, or skimming through the entire content of the Globe and Mail. What's there is there. And what isn't, isn't.

I know media filtering in defence of a specific narrative when I see it.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:16 AM

nvm

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Well, I am a qualified media relations trainer, among other things.
Then you should know exactly how easily somebody obsessed with cultural issues is being targeted every day.

Quote:
I know media filtering in defence of a specific narrative when I see it.
What should the narrative be here?

Go on. Be specific.

And I'm curious what they should have said, especially given the fact that even the police are still not sure what to make of this.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Then you should know exactly how easily somebody obsessed with cultural issues is being targeted every day.

What should the narrative be here?

Go on. Be specific.

And I'm curious what they should have said, especially given the fact that even the police are still not sure what to make of this.
The police saying they aren't sure what happened tells you they are certainly Syrian. Unless of course the whole thing was made up and they just got in a fight amongst themselves and made the whole story up.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:33 AM

Didn't realize that the British Tories basically tried the same student immigration policies as the Trudeau Liberals here:

Source: https://www.neilobrien.co.uk/p/the-d...o-visa-scandal

And of course that surge over there led to exactly the kind of problems we're seeing here. Just further amped up. Does help explain their thrashing at the polls there.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:36 AM

The fact that this horrifying event in Halifax is unreported in Canada is an abomination but, unfortunately, not at all surprising. The reason is obvious, these were all Middle Eastern appearing immigrants/refugees. You can bet your bottom dollar if the women were black and the attackers white, the CBC and all the main street media would be out in full force.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2024, 2:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Yes, I know that algorithms based on my interests affect what shows up in my social media feeds.

But as I said, I also know how to get around that. And that's what I do every day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada