HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:49 PM

^ Interesting, thanks. It's a bit of a unique highway in that the traffic counts don't really necessitate twinning, but there is enough long haul traffic on it to justify some upgrades.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 3:56 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Interesting, thanks. It's a bit of a unique highway in that the traffic counts don't really necessitate twinning, but there is enough long haul traffic on it to justify some upgrades.
I think it's about adequate where it is, other than needing passing lanes near Winnipeg. There is a lot of commuter traffic up to Warren and Woodlands. Beyond that, things seem to drop off.

The only place that really needs twinning is the few hundred metres from the perimeter to where the Red Sun is on the road to Stonewall.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:20 PM
Heart of the Continent

Does anyone know if they've finished the deceleration lane at Gaol Road? It'll be great to not have prison vans turning from the fast lane.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 4:21 PM
Heart of the Continent

I think that's the real answer for a lot of the trouble spots. There are some areas where interchanges will be too much, but access is still needed. Proper deceleration and acceleration lanes at those places would seem to make sense.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:49 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...732762?cmp=rss

$400M St. Norbert bypass could be cancelled by Pallister government

All projects, including bypass, under review, Manitoba’s infrastructure minister says
CBC News Posted: Aug 23, 2016 1:34 PM CT Last Updated: Aug 23, 2016 1:34 PM CT

Quote from the article:

"The previous government made a lot of promises they didn't keep, and so we'll determine our own priorities moving forward. We face a billion-dollar deficit. We have to be very careful with Manitobans' money," said current Infrastructure Minister Blaine Pedersen.

"Nothing is ruled out, but it's not ruled in right now, either, because we have to get a handle on our budget."

All infrastructure projects promised by the NDP are under review, said Pedersen.

Get a handle on your budget, eh Blaine? Okay, that will only tide you over for so long. What more do you need to get a handle on? (I've heard Blaine is a dip shit FYI).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 8:30 PM

It's sad to see the St Norbert by-pass is likely on hold. Manitoba has gone 40+ years without investing in proper infrastructure and just as we were starting to take a few steps forward on an important route like the primary link to the USA things seem to he heading back to old status quo of minimal investments and poorly aging infrastructure.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
It's sad to see the St Norbert by-pass is likely on hold. Manitoba has gone 40+ years without investing in proper infrastructure and just as we were starting to take a few steps forward on an important route like the primary link to the USA things seem to he heading back to old status quo of minimal investments and poorly aging infrastructure.
Yeah, it seems like we need at least 5 straight years of good economic times to get major infrastructure projects moving, but then at the first sign of trouble so many of them get cancelled or delayed for ages.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:17 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

There are far more important spending priorities.

I was in the hospital all morning doing groundwork for major surgery. I sat in front of six different people and answered the same questions again and again while they filled out forms with a pen. Not a computer in sight, anywhere. Why is this? I was using computers in college in 1980.

This is something that needs to be fixed.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:28 PM

Good luck with your surgery Riverman!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:32 PM

It's odd how so much money has been spent on healthcare over the years, and they're still using pencils for that kind of stuff. There should be a central, computerized file for each individual with a MB health number. Plain and simple. This is you?. Yes. Still live here? yes. etc.

Father in law was in St. B for about a month this spring/summer. Heart monitors were wireless, connected to screens through the hospital. Nurse would come in and check out the computer for everything. So there is computerized stuff going on. But you should never have to tell someone six times where you live.

Good luck Riverman.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:42 PM

Part of the reason you are asked the same questions several times in health care is to ensure the information is recorded correctly.

The paper and pen could also be asking a patient to fill in a form that is then keyed into the computer.

MB is mostly using an electronic charting system now that keeps all the patient information on a computer system someplace. It has taken a long time (over 10 years) to get there but its starting to hit most offices now.

In terms of cutbacks on road improvements if St Norbert bypass is on hold I wonder what it means for other projects that are not underway like the south Perimeter overhaul, the HWY 2/3/Perimeter interchange and the Headingley by-pass. All of which should have been hitting the shovel stage in a year or two.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 9:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
There are far more important spending priorities.

I was in the hospital all morning doing groundwork for major surgery. I sat in front of six different people and answered the same questions again and again while they filled out forms with a pen. Not a computer in sight, anywhere. Why is this? I was using computers in college in 1980.

This is something that needs to be fixed.
Yup, the $peNDP.

It's a shame that despite the economy doing so well in Manitoba for the last five years, the Government still found a way to create record deficits. I'm so glad Manitoba got rid of those clowns in April. It will take the new Government years to clean up the mess they left the province in, and what is worse, they will likely get blamed for it.

That St.Norbert by-pass would have been great for Centreport. Hopefully the federal Government will help out more.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:00 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Part of the reason you are asked the same questions several times in health care is to ensure the information is recorded correctly.

The paper and pen could also be asking a patient to fill in a form that is then keyed into the computer.

MB is mostly using an electronic charting system now that keeps all the patient information on a computer system someplace. It has taken a long time (over 10 years) to get there but its starting to hit most offices now.

In terms of cutbacks on road improvements if St Norbert bypass is on hold I wonder what it means for other projects that are not underway like the south Perimeter overhaul, the HWY 2/3/Perimeter interchange and the Headingley by-pass. All of which should have been hitting the shovel stage in a year or two.
No, that is not the reason at all. Just different departments with their own form that goes into a binder. The binder from my last surgery was taken out of storage for reference. There are no computer records whatsoever. I asked.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:

I've lived in Manitoba and Alberta. With all due respect, you are incorrect on this. The Government is so far behind in Winnipeg, that it defies logic. It's sad because I would like nothing better than to see Manitoba prosper. It just seems like some people in the province are content with mediocrity. If people spent six months living elsewhere in Canada (especially Ontario and the West), they would be demanding change.

Everytime I return for a visit, I feel like I'm entering a third world country. It should not feel like that.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:15 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
No, that is not the reason at all. Just different departments with their own form that goes into a binder. The binder from my last surgery was taken out of storage for reference. There are no computer records whatsoever. I asked.
That's certainly never been my experience. I'd think that's the exception to the rule.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:16 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I've lived in Manitoba and Alberta. With all due respect, you are incorrect on this. The Government is so far behind in Winnipeg, that it defies logic. It's sad because I would like nothing better than to see Manitoba prosper. It just seems like some people in the province are content with mediocrity. If people spent six months living elsewhere in Canada (especially Ontario and the West), they would be demanding change.

Everytime I return for a visit, I feel like I'm entering a third world country. It should not feel like that.
I found very little difference between the quality of infrastructure going from Saskatchewan to Manitoba.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:17 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's odd how so much money has been spent on healthcare over the years, and they're still using pencils for that kind of stuff. There should be a central, computerized file for each individual with a MB health number. Plain and simple. This is you?. Yes. Still live here? yes. etc.
That does exist. Paper records also exist, as a backup.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:18 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Good luck with your surgery Riverman!
Thank you guys. I'm going to have more titanium in me than a CF-18.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 10:38 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
I found very little difference between the quality of infrastructure going from Saskatchewan to Manitoba.
You do start to notice things, in relation to what Saskatchewan was like 15 years ago. Saskatoon and Regina both have better ring roads. The Trans-Canada has been completely twinned, compared to only 15% of the province at the beginning of the century. The Yellowhead has been twinned from Saskatoon to the Alberta border.

Regina's version of Centreport is far ahead of Winnipeg's, even though they started at roughly the same time. Saskatoon is less than 40% of the population of Winnipeg, yet has 2 limited access highways. Winnipeg has zero. In fact the projects that were going to be funded and built long ago (BRT and Waverley underpass), were both cancelled by a corrupt mayor.

If only the BRT was built in 2004, when the Government gave the city and province the funding needed to complete it, but Sammy had "better ideas." Winnipeg would be doing so much better, if we elected officials that did things the right way and not shoot themselves in the foot repeatedly.

We finally have some relative competent people in Government (PC Pary and Bowman). I hope they could line their ducks together and improve the quality of life in Manitoba. You guys deserve it.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 11:04 PM
Heart of the Continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
You do start to notice things, in relation to what Saskatchewan was like 15 years ago. Saskatoon and Regina both have better ring roads. The Trans-Canada has been completely twinned, compared to only 15% of the province at the beginning of the century. The Yellowhead has been twinned from Saskatoon to the Alberta border.
Actually, it's now twinned beyond Saskatoon. On the other hand, Manitoba has added passing lanes to its sections of 16 that warrant that and the road has been paved to the edge of the shoulders on its entire length. There is no section that warrants twinning in Manitoba. Manitoba's highway 1 was expanded at the same time as Saskatchewan's. The surface quality is Manitoba on highway 1 is also better. We do have traffic lights where we shouldn't (where there should be interchanges), but, Saskatchewan doesn't have traffic lights in places that should so.... Manitoba's roads are actually generally acceptable for their daily traffic counts. There are very few places that need to be twinned by traffic count that aren't.

Quote:
Regina's version of Centreport is far ahead of Winnipeg's,
In what way? There has been growth around the airport and the north part of the inland port. The airport also has growing traffic counts. This city has improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade.

Quote:
We finally have some relative competent people in Government (PC Pary and Bowman). I hope they could line their ducks together and improve the quality of life in Manitoba. You guys deserve it.
I have yet to see competence from the PCs. I'm happy with Bowman so far.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan