HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:35 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
MJ''s "The Shot" was in the first round and has been on repeat for as long as I can remember as one of his defyning moments.
This is right up there. This is one of the all-time greatest NBA moments ever.

I'm still buzzing!

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 11:05 PM
Registered Drug User

I like this take:

Video Link

This is a moment for fans to treasure forever that nobody can take away from us, regardless of what happens here on out.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 11:43 PM
Registered Drug User

The great thing about sports is that they're so utterly unpredictable.

Funny, for a while there in my twenties and thirties I turned my back on sports fandom because they didn't grab me the way they did when I was a kid. Partly because I fashioned myself as something of an aesthete-intellectual more interested in music and literature (that sounds more pretentious in the wording than I actually was in person, as hard as that may be to believe), and partly because I thought they were a bit childish. It's just boys and men running after balls, after all.

"How's the sports team stocked with professional mercenaries in your general geographical location performing against the other sports teams stocked with professional mercenaries in other general geographical locations?" a pretentious guy once wise-cracked to me, and I recall finding that pithy in its truism. What possible connection could someone like Kawhi have to me?

It's true, he might sign with another team this summer (though that's now seeming unlikely). And yet, I still feel like the Raptors are my team very much in the way that the Cardiacs and Blur are my bands, Alice Munro and Martin Amis are my writers, etc. Actually, geographical proximity plays a part in it for me more than it does for the arts, where I find it mostly unfathomable. But a work of art is controlled by its creator(s), and any magic produced by the finished product is intentional. You go into it not knowing exactly what to expect, but the patterns and rhythms are set in stone. There's some leeway with live concerts where artists may do songs a bit differently, but even so, they're still following a template.

You can listen to a recorded song, read a book or watch a movie many times and they're always the same (even if, admittedly, your reaction to them evolves). But the exquisite beauty of a sports competition is the anticipation and expectation attached to the process and the outcome that can only be experienced once by all involved. There is no "creator" pulling the strings behind the scenes, no asymmetrical control. It's a stage where everything is up for grabs.

I've come to relish this as I get older. Of course, all this gushing could simply be due to having been witness to one of the greatest shots ever made in basketball history!

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by osmo View Post
Yes, I agree. I'd put this on the same tier as Jose and his bat flip for iconic Toronto playoff moments outside of a championship scenerio.

This will be iconic for Leanord.

MJ''s "The Shot" was in the first round and has been on repeat for as long as I can remember as one of his defyning moments.
Ya and no worries to them I get why Ontario is so excited.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Could you be more petty?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:28 AM
Rational urbanist

I was at a McDonald's in Chilliwack last night when I saw the shot on the tv there. Me and another guy lost our shit when it finally fell in. Definitely not just an Ontario thing haha

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:48 AM

Apparently that shot is being treated as a bigger deal than I thought. It's getting a lot of coverage in the States.

My American co-workers even were talking about it, and a few of them aren't even basketball fans.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:06 AM

Is it just in my head, or did the crowd go completely silent while the ball rattled around the rim?

I can't recall seeing a ball do what it did: clunking off the front of the rim; bouncing almost straight up in the air; hitting the rim two more times before dropping in. Probably the unusual arc of the ball which led to that series of actios.

What a moment. Raptor fans deserve it.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
The fans reaction to the buzzer-beater at Jurassic park was awesome:

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/statu...51821274046465

*cant' seem to embed the video*
Fan reactions like that don't happen very often. The only ones I remember that compare was the Jays winning the World Series off Joe Carter's home run in 1993, Canada winning hockey gold over the USA at the Vancouver Olympics in 2010, and SMU defeating Western in the 1990 Atlantic Bowl with a touchdown in the dying seconds. Those 3 and this one will be etched in my memory forever.

I must have re-watched 7 hours of this game and another 5 hours of post game since it ended. Only coming up for air now.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
I can't recall seeing a ball do what it did: clunking off the front of the rim; bouncing almost straight up in the air; hitting the rim two more times before dropping in. Probably the unusual arc of the ball which led to that series of actios.
It actually bounced off the rim 4 times.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:24 AM
be nice to the crackheads

That shot was storybook. If a Hollywood movie did it, my eyes would have rolled in to the back of my head. I don't follow any professional team sports at the moment, and even I got roped in to the excitement Raptors fans must be feeling.

Hell, my wife who has never watched two minutes of the NBA saw it, and exclaimed "Oh my god!"

This popped up in my Youtube sub-box this morning. It's pretty interesting to hear how announcers from other languages reacted to the shot. The Korean announcers go nuclear.

Video Link

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:33 AM

Ya TSN showed that video today on sportscentre.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCity View Post
I was at a McDonald's in Chilliwack last night when I saw the shot on the tv there. Me and another guy lost our shit when it finally fell in. Definitely not just an Ontario thing haha
I was in the airport in Stony Rapids Saskatchewan. The entire place went nuts.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:16 AM

Portuguese is my favorite, Korea was pretty hilarious too.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 8:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop2047 View Post
I was in the airport in Stony Rapids Saskatchewan. The entire place went nuts.
lol! Now that is funny. What on earth were you doing in Stony Rapids?

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
The great thing about sports is that they're so utterly unpredictable.

Funny, for a while there in my twenties and thirties I turned my back on sports fandom because they didn't grab me the way they did when I was a kid. Partly because I fashioned myself as something of an aesthete-intellectual more interested in music and literature (that sounds more pretentious in the wording than I actually was in person, as hard as that may be to believe), and partly because I thought they were a bit childish. It's just boys and men running after balls, after all.

"How's the sports team stocked with professional mercenaries in your general geographical location performing against the other sports teams stocked with professional mercenaries in other general geographical locations?" a pretentious guy once wise-cracked to me, and I recall finding that pithy in its truism. What possible connection could someone like Kawhi have to me?

It's true, he might sign with another team this summer (though that's now seeming unlikely). And yet, I still feel like the Raptors are my team very much in the way that the Cardiacs and Blur are my bands, Alice Munro and Martin Amis are my writers, etc. Actually, geographical proximity plays a part in it for me more than it does for the arts, where I find it mostly unfathomable. But a work of art is controlled by its creator(s), and any magic produced by the finished product is intentional. You go into it not knowing exactly what to expect, but the patterns and rhythms are set in stone. There's some leeway with live concerts where artists may do songs a bit differently, but even so, they're still following a template.

You can listen to a recorded song, read a book or watch a movie many times and they're always the same (even if, admittedly, your reaction to them evolves). But the exquisite beauty of a sports competition is the anticipation and expectation attached to the process and the outcome that can only be experienced once by all involved. There is no "creator" pulling the strings behind the scenes, no asymmetrical control. It's a stage where everything is up for grabs.

I've come to relish this as I get older. Of course, all this gushing could simply be due to having been witness to one of the greatest shots ever made in basketball history!
I basically went through the exact same phases as you. A wise guy once noted to me that it's kind of weird to be obsessed by any pro sports team that doesn't have a) one of your kids or relatives or b) a close friend, playing on it. The same goes for national teams which most of us only have a relationship to because of happenstance - we just happen to be born in a given country or be of a particular nationality or ethnic origin.

The last time I really got excited for a pro sports team was when the Ottawa Redblacks won the Grey Cup in 2016. For some reason I was a fan of Ottawa's CFL club (the Rough Riders back then) even as a kid in the Maritimes. Before 2016, Ottawa hadn't won the Grey Cup since 1976. I was born then but was too young to remember.

Other than that the only sports performances I've gotten excited for in recent years have been at the Olympics. Mostly for Canadians but also for foreign athletes on occasion.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 2:53 PM

Funny, I've often said I wish I could care less about sports. They take up way too much emotional space in my life.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post

Ya because there are only Raptor fans in Ontario. You sound petty. I suppose only people in Ontario get excited when the Jays are doing well also.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/vanc...tors-playoffs/

source: https://metrovanindependent.com

source: https://postmediavancouversun2.files.wordpress.com

source: https://media3.giphy.com

source:https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com

source: http://i91.fastpic.ru

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 3:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Funny, I've often said I wish I could care less about sports. They take up way too much emotional space in my life.
I was super obsessive about pro sports in my teen and young adult years. Perhaps one of the reasons I've taken a step back is that most of my favourite teams have sucked, or even disappeared (Montreal Expos).

But I've also taken on a different perspective, for the reasons brought up by Rousseau and I in our recent posts.

I still get drawn in periodically though.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 3:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Ya because there are only Raptor fans in Ontario. You sound petty. I suppose only people in Ontario get excited when the Jays are doing well also.
I really don't see what was wrong with that article. It's probably a pretty accurate reading of the situation.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada