HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
You can add WFH to the list of things that delay getting anything done with a bureaucrat. It's frightening how their productivity has gone to complete sh!t at all levels of government, even when compared to their general lack of productivity prior to COVID.
I don't think working from home is dragging out the staff working on the Broadway Plan updates and compilation of info that officially closed in mid July and goes to Council after the holiday break. I assume it will be presented at a Standing Committee for Policy meeting, which the next one on Sept. 25 is likely already booked up, and the following one isn't until Oct. 23. and Nov. 27.

Your guess is as good as mine what is on the agenda for those 3 meetings and if there is a backlog from earlier in the year that they can't get it on the Oct agenda.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 9:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think that central office location is called Trinity. From the building permits it's still active with some HVAC/electrical room work in the past decade..

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r11...-and-equipment

I guess the neighbourhood will be transitioned from copper to fibre?

https://www.telus.com/en/social-impa...per-retirement

Telus Q4 2023 Quarterly Report
Good find.

I'm no expert but I believe fibre optic still uses central offices. Presumably it is now routed all though their downtown location.

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Good find.

I'm no expert but I believe fibre optic still uses central offices. Presumably it is now routed all though their downtown location.
I guess it just doesn't need those neighbourhood COs anymore.

Quote:
Detailing the real estate opportunity associated with the decommissioning, French said Telus has “identified more than 25 different properties” which over a 10-year period could offer $1 billion worth “of combined land and development opportunities.” From these, the operator could “generate either gains from selling outright, we could partner with others and create rental properties – condomuniums, etc. – and/or you could even have a real estate REIT for that matter and build your own call it ‘cash flow for the future’ that would allow us to continue to invest in our more core product.”
https://www.fierce-network.com/opera...te-opportunity

The Kingsway/Boundary CO had horns (now inactive) on top that were used for microwave backhaul

https://www.reddit.com/r/vancouver/c...t=share_button

Old Posted Aug 14, 2024, 10:18 PM

Quote:
The Kingsway/Boundary CO had horns (now inactive) on top that were used for microwave backhaul
I have very vivid memories of looking up at the microwave transmission tower at their New Westminster CO.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusmcduff View Post
Any proof if this, or just your own personal assumption?
Not only from my own personal experience, but every single other person I've talked to who has attempted to interact on either a business or personal matter with any bureaucrat you finally get on the phone.

Not a single person has said it's the same as, or better than, pre-covid.

It's worse than work-to-rule, it's more like underwork-to-rule.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 5:49 PM

That's not really proof though as there are other possible reasons for that, such as understaffing. As someone who worked as a bureaucrat, when it took me 3 weeks to respond to a voicemail or email, it wasn't because I was a lazy bureaucrat or whatever, but because I had like 100 emails and a dozen other voicemails to get to before I could get to yours, on top of my other work.

In BC specifically, I know that for most City's planning departments, the new SSMUH and TOD requirements where an all hands on deck moment for staff, and added a huge workload to already understaffed departments. I can't speak for every city, but i know this was the case where I worked, and it was incredibly stressful as it felt like the work kept piling up faster than we could complete jt

Remember that the people on the other end of the phone are people. Most of them care about what they do and want to do a good job.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2024, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Not only from my own personal experience, but every single other person I've talked to who has attempted to interact on either a business or personal matter with any bureaucrat you finally get on the phone.

Not a single person has said it's the same as, or better than, pre-covid.

It's worse than work-to-rule, it's more like underwork-to-rule.
As if it was easy to get CoV staff on the phone prior to Covid

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 6:10 PM

EDIT: Expired listing.

433 West Broadway. It'll be interesting to see how they develop that block with the alley. $12 million

https://iciconic.com/commercial-list...dway-vancouver

Quote:
For development at 433 West Broadway, provision of a secondary station entrance to Broadway-City Hall Station is
strongly encouraged. At a minimum, the secondary station entrance should provide an up escalator as well as an elevator
as a part of the overall vertical circulation provision. The secondary station entrance should be overbuilt and integrated
within the development.
https://guidelines.vancouver.ca/poli...n-broadway.pdf

Last edited by jollyburger; Aug 18, 2024 at 6:27 PM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2024, 8:51 PM

Quote:
EDIT: Expired listing.

433 West Broadway. It'll be interesting to see how they develop that block with the alley. $12 million
When the building got the metal panel makeover, it was part of the Bonnis empire. Looks like they're offloading some of their Broadway property, as well as the Granville sites.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 1:57 AM

Re. The wfh discussion and government bureaucrats: I'm a "government bureaucrat" and wfh doubled my productivity. That goes for all my colleagues. Not only am I less tired by not having to travel, but I also push more work out working from home all else being equal.

I've been working in the office this week and all together I'll be spending 10 hours or more driving. Then you tack on office chats and fatigue and random office bs and meetings etc. and it's no wonder wfh has doubled my productivity. Consider the difference between rolling out of bed at 8, grabbing breakfast and having a quick shower and starting work at 8:30 vs getting up at 6:45 and showing up to work stressed and tired and fatigued at 8:30. Not even a comparison.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 3:22 AM

Quote:
426-428 W 14th Ave and 3015-3027 Yukon St rezoning application

134 units with 20% of the floor area for below-market rental units;
A floor space ratio (FSR) of 5.5; and
A building height of 60.5 m (197 ft.).
https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/426-428...-3027-yukon-st

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 5:17 AM

1155 East 6th Avenue

I didn't see this posted, which is surprising, given the size of this proposal. The renderings are labeled as only concepts.

Not sure I would be super excited to live around that area (VCC/Clark), because there is not much around there - very industrial. The development itself will have a retail component, but that wouldn't be near enough. Eventually, the section of Broadway 3 blocks away will have retail though.

Quote:
Currently, VCC-Clark Station is the “dead end” westernmost terminus station of SkyTrain Millennium Line, and the easternmost end of the Great Northern Way corridor along the southernmost perimeter of the False Creek Flats.

That could change with a new major mixed-use building redevelopment of the Rogers/Shaw warehouse and vehicle compound at 1155 East 6th Avenue, located at the northeast corner of the intersection of Great Northern Way/East 6th Avenue and Glen Drive.

According to the newly submitted rezoning application, there will be a 19-storey office tower on the west side of the property and two 35-storey secured purpose-built rental housing towers on the east side. These heights include a shared four-storey base podium with a range of mixed uses that are strategically intended to bring much-needed new life to the area.

There will be 600 secured purpose-built rental homes in the two east towers, including 480 market rental units and 120 below-market rental units, based on the City’s Broadway Plan’s stipulation that at least 20% of the rental homes be set aside at below-market rental rates. The overall unit size mix is 125 studios, 254 one-bedroom units, 157 two-bedroom units, and 64 three-bedroom units.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/1155...-redevelopment

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 8:04 AM

Marine Gateway is much the same - apparently residents like it there. Gotta give the new hubs some time to mature, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
I didn't see this posted, which is surprising, given the size of this proposal. The renderings are labeled as only concepts.
It got posted in the Great Northern Way thread:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...&postcount=540

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 6:21 PM

Eh. Guess it won't hurt to have it in the Broadway Corridor file for reference purposes.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 6:27 PM

I wonder if the Broadway Plan gets extended further west when the UBC Extension goes ahead?

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 6:51 PM

Quote:
I wonder if the Broadway Plan gets extended further west when the UBC Extension goes ahead?
One bureaucratic hurdle is that the Broadway Plan mostly falls within the "Metro Core", where development is supposed to be concentrated. Once you leave that area, we don't quite have the political mandate to encourage development (yet!).

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
We've got a pretty good baseline in place with the Province's TOD mandates, assuming they apply to future stations.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 7:36 PM

1668 W Broadway - 25 stories market rental. Office on floor 2. Retail on floor 1.
https://plposweb.vancouver.ca/Public...ctId=235100000

Old Posted Aug 21, 2024, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhou View Post
One bureaucratic hurdle is that the Broadway Plan mostly falls within the "Metro Core", where development is supposed to be concentrated. Once you leave that area, we don't quite have the political mandate to encourage development (yet!).
Yeah I guess they can just adjust the density further away from stations versus the rest of the plan area.

From three years ago

Quote:
The purpose of the Broadway Plan is to think about how the neighbourhoods immediately around the future Broadway Subway will grow, change and take advantage of the rapid transit infrastructure over the next thirty years. The boundaries of the Broadway Plan align specifically with the future subway route. I would agree with you that Blenheim to MacDonald are important areas however they don't quite align with the subway extension and therefore out of scope (for the time being).
https://www.shapeyourcity.ca/broadway-plan-kitsilano

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver