HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdm View Post
Recreational improvements announced for HRM
Wanderers Grounds field house to get $900,000 in upgrades
By DAVID JACKSON Provincial Reporter
Mon. Dec 14 - 12:26 PM

Halifax rugby players will soon have a better spot to change than the parking lot or sidelines.

The Wanderers Grounds field house is getting $900,000 in upgrades. Halifax Regional Municipality will contribute $400,000, the federal government $300,000, and the Wanderers Amateur Athletic Club $200,000.
The project was one of 23 recreational facility improvements for Halifax Regional Municipality announced this morning by Defence Minister Peter MacKay, also the minister responsible for the Atlantic Canada Opportunities Agency, and Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly.
Well this definitively takes Wanderer's Grounds off the fantasy stadium table.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Well this definitively takes Wanderer's Grounds off the fantasy stadium table.
LOL

who wants to break the news to fenwick16?

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
The house on Queen Street behind Starbucks was torn down today. It's owned by Mickey McDonald, this site was often speculated as the site for the downtown Chickenburger.
News out in allnovascotia to confirm your thoughts, new chicken burger location.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 4:01 AM
we built this city

They will probably do well in there and I like the infill for that part of the block. Its hard to get a decent burger on SGR around there IMO.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2009, 7:54 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
LOL

who wants to break the news to fenwick16?
Yes this rules this out. However, I can see that it is for the best. Some parts of Halifax are better not developed.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 9:28 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That's interesting news. I partly grew up near Bedford (then briefly worked there) and went to Chickenburger pretty frequently. I wonder what the new restaurant will look like? It would be cool if it had an open ground floor in the summer like the Bedford one.

Funny how there's also the two Pete's and Il Mercato locations.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That's interesting news. I partly grew up near Bedford (then briefly worked there) and went to Chickenburger pretty frequently. I wonder what the new restaurant will look like? It would be cool if it had an open ground floor in the summer like the Bedford one.

Funny how there's also the two Pete's and Il Mercato locations.
Well what can we say? Entrenpeneurs love Bedford

And since certain people *cough* Sloane *cough* don't like to venture out of their neighbourhoods second locations downtown are required.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
And since certain people *cough* Sloane *cough* don't like to venture out of their neighbourhoods second locations downtown are required.
I don't think there are any govt social programs that subsidize the purchase of automobiles like there are for houses, so Sloane probably doesn't have a car to take her to Bedford.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2009, 4:08 PM

Quote:
In other waterfront news, a tender is slated to be issued today looking for companies to construct 60 metres of boardwalk along the harbour, just south of Bishop’s Landing. The project will cost an estimated $100,000.

"It’s what we call Cunard Inlet," Mr. MacLean said. "It’s the last piece of boardwalk on the Halifax boardwalk that remains unfinished."

A waterfront spot is also coming open to develop what’s now a parking lot just west of that section of boardwalk.

"Bishop’s Landing has been a terrific development," Mr. MacLean said. "Now with Nova Scotia Power doing their work on the other side of the slot (on a headquarters building now under renovation) together with the fact that HRM by Design has been approved and is in place, it’s the perfect time to take a look at that property and say what’s the right type of development that should take place there."

The development should be a mix of business and residential, he said.

"It can go higher certainly than (the five-storey) Bishop’s Landing because it’s not in the middle of one of the view planes from Citadel Hill," Mr. MacLean said.

The Waterfront Development Corp. is also looking for proposals from companies that want to run kiosks on the boardwalk.

"I think there are about five of them or so," Mr. MacLean said. "We could go as high as 20."
from todays Herald

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:06 PM

Quote:
News out in allnovascotia to confirm your thoughts, new chicken burger location.
Drop-in centre loses its spot

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1158077.html

Old Posted Dec 17, 2009, 4:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Me too.

I live 5 minutes away but have only eaten there a handful of times. I like their cheeseburgers but I'd much rather eat Subway or Wendy's (both right next door).
I"ve gotten food poisoning from both subway and Wendy's Chicken burger is the only one of those three that I didn't.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2009, 10:33 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I'm back in town for the holidays. Gottingen looks like it is doing much better these days; it's still clearly "in transition", but there's way more happening than I have ever seen before. The Theatre Lofts and the townhouse development on the old Sobeys site will hugely change the feel of the street. There's also that new three storey building with some sort of metal exterior cladding which is the kind of small-scale project that can tie everything together on a street like that.

Hopefully we'll also see something done with the old one-storey recycling/junk depot. It could easily become another Theatre Lofts style building.

Barrington, on the other hand, seems like it is going downhill. There are projects in the works but for now it's the same old story. Very little has materialized there in recent memory.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 2:41 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123
Hopefully we'll also see something done with the old one-storey recycling/junk depot. It could easily become another Theatre Lofts style building.
This place?, supposedly it was bought by a developer and its just a matter of time before it becomes slated for condos.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 2:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I'm back in town for the holidays. Gottingen looks like it is doing much better these days; it's still clearly "in transition", but there's way more happening than I have ever seen before. The Theatre Lofts and the townhouse development on the old Sobeys site will hugely change the feel of the street. There's also that new three storey building with some sort of metal exterior cladding which is the kind of small-scale project that can tie everything together on a street like that.

Barrington, on the other hand, seems like it is going downhill. There are projects in the works but for now it's the same old story. Very little has materialized there in recent memory.
Are the townhomes on the Sobey's lot under construction or scheduled to be under construction? Same question about theatre lofts.

I've optimistically thought that Barrington's current slide is temporary, due to things like renovations and leases running out, waiting for HRMbyDesign and the Barrington Street Historic District, etc. It's never been a particularly strong street for years now, but four years ago was in much better shape. The next year or two we show if I'm right or if the slide is more serious.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Hillbilly View Post
Are the townhomes on the Sobey's lot under construction or scheduled to be under construction? Same question about theatre lofts.

I've optimistically thought that Barrington's current slide is temporary, due to things like renovations and leases running out, waiting for HRMbyDesign and the Barrington Street Historic District, etc. It's never been a particularly strong street for years now, but four years ago was in much better shape. The next year or two we show if I'm right or if the slide is more serious.
My thoughts too. Certainly Starfish is set to really change the middle of the street. It'll probably make the whole area even more unpleasent in the short-term since the Roy will be coming down and the Sam's and Gingers will be under renovation (tough to say which they'll do first or if they'll go for both at the same time). I would point out that the street did have one success this year, the renovation of the Free Mason's Hall is nearly complete if it isn't already. That's at least one property that has finished the year better than when it started.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2009, 6:59 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrenic View Post
This place?, supposedly it was bought by a developer and its just a matter of time before it becomes slated for condos.
Yep, that's the one.

The Theatre Lofts are under construction - I saw them excavating the other day. The townhouses are not under construction as far as I know but there is a sign up now.

I would like to think that Barrington will get better but the reality is that it has really gone downhill. Peep Show is closing soon and I noticed that other places like Frozen Ocean have also disappeared. None of these are in buildings slated for any particular work. In fact, the Peep Show building was newly renovated a few years ago.

It is good to see the renovation of the Freemasons' Building on Barrington but I'm not sure that really counts as a step forward. There are maybe 50 historic commercial buildings along that stretch and in order for them to stay in good condition (or whatever condition they are in) at least a few of them need work every year.

The other thing that is a little disconcerting is that none of the projects for that area have actually materialized. I think the United Gulf towers would have brought in a lot of new business, for example, but that's still a giant empty pit in the heart of the city.

The one thing that makes me optimistic here is that the Barrington Street situation is obviously artificial. The rest of the city is doing fine. The North End and Spring Garden Road have been improving by leaps and bounds. Most other areas are also either stable or slowly improving. I've noticed that even a lot of little neighbourhoods seem to be improving and are supporting more businesses. The area around Windsor/Almon is a good example of this.

All I can say is that I hope we see some real investment in Barrington Street over the next year or two because if it does not happen the street will continue to slide. Right now it's terrible, probably about half empty.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2009, 5:34 AM
we built this city

I think with the completion of the Trillium the area will be busier... we need more residential downtown.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 10:47 AM

Source: The Chronicle Herald

Downtown projects in works
Expansion of TD office tower among Halifax building plans

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor
Tue. Dec 29 - 4:45 AM

Barrington Street is on the cusp of several major construction projects that could transform it from what sometimes seems like a ghost town into a bustling city centre.

The owner of the TD building plans to double the size of the downtown office complex, Halifax Mayor Peter Kelly said Monday.

"I think it would be great," Mr. Kelly said.

"It would be class A space. And there is an increased demand for the space, especially with the financial service sector that’s been increasing here. It will certainly bode well for that niche."

The 18-storey building is located on Barrington at the north corner of George Street. The 73-metre building is owned by TDB Halifax Holdings Ltd. The company’s president, Farhad Vladi, is a well-known broker who deals in renting and selling islands worldwide. He has offices in Halifax and Germany. Calls to both offices went unreturned Monday.

The TD building now only occupies half the block between Barrington and Granville streets, said Andy Fillmore, the city’s urban designer.

The east side of the building doesn’t have any windows, he said.

"It’s just a sort of blank, unappealing wall," Mr. Fillmore said. "It was built that way for fire code reasons on the speculation that eventually somebody would eventually build something above the other half of the block."

The owner is going to take advantage of the fact that the glass curtain walls on the existing TD building are at the end of their useful life and need to be replaced, he said.

"They’re going to basically build the other half of the building. So it’s essentially doubling the size of each floor plate," Mr. Fillmore said.

"All that mirrored glass will be replaced by clear glass."

The project will re-create the historic façade of the Kelly luggage building demolished about 18 months ago, he said.

"They’re going to keep the façade of the currently existing flower shop that’s just to the north of the vacant lot, and then they’re going to build behind and above those. In other words, they’re going to be maintaining and even re-creating the historic feel of Granville Street in that area, and then the upper storeys will step back from that."

There’s also whispering that the former NFB building that’s now a facade being held up by steel girders could soon be undergoing construction.

In other downtown development news, the mayor said Lou Reznick is looking at installing a boutique hotel in one of his Barrington Street properties. Mr. Reznick’s company, Starfish Properties, owns the Sam the Record Man buildings, as well as the former Granite Brewery building next door.

"I never comment on tenants; we just want to get our permits approved and get on with construction," Mr. Reznick said in an interview from Toronto.

The work on the three buildings, which Starfish dubs East Space, is moving forward under the new HRM by Design guidelines.

"We should be in front of the design review committee by January or February," Mr. Reznick said.

Chris Galea, a St. Francis Xavier business professor who heads a group of private investors from Ontario, said he has approached Mr. Reznick about the idea of opening a micro boutique hotel in one of his Barrington Street properties.

"As a business model and a place to go, it would be a fantastic spot," Mr. Galea said, noting he’s also looked at other downtown properties for the project.

"It’s a growing phenomenon in Europe where hotels are springing up that are very high-end, but they’ve got very small rooms," Mr. Galea said in a telephone interview from Antigonish.

"Think more like a cabin on a high-end sailboat as opposed to a big, sprawling room. What you save on space costs, both in capital costs and in running the hotel, you end up putting into very good quality in the rooms. But you’re able to offer the rooms at a much more reasonable rate than rooms in a similar location with the same level of amenities."

The standard North American hotel room is around 320 square feet, he said. "We’re talking about rooms of around 100 or 125 square feet," said Mr. Galea, who runs his own hospitality company, South Side Vacations Inc., which rents vacation properties.

The size of the hotel could be adjusted to fit into an existing building, he said.

"Anywhere from a 50- to a 100-room hotel would certainly fit into our business projections," Mr. Galea said.

Mr. Reznick will capitalize on the new heritage grants and incentive program to renovate the facades of the three buildings, said the city’s urban designer.

"He’s tapping in substantially to the new grants program as part of the Barrington Street heritage conservation district," Mr. Fillmore said. "He’s going to be like the poster child for the efficacy of the conservation district."

Two rooftop storeys will be squeezed on to the three existing buildings, he said.

"Those are going to be stepped back significantly and they’re going to be contemporary in design."

Starfish is also planning to tear down the Roy building and re-create the Barrington facade with a 17-storey tower behind it on Granville, Mr. Fillmore said.

( clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 3:33 PM

Great news about the TD tower! I was hoping this would eventually happen. Although, I am slightly sad to see the mirrored glass go. As far as glass facades go in Halifax it is probably one of my favorites. The reflections on a nice clear day are superb.

I also hope that they add some sort of crown or something onto the top of the tower. When viewed from a distance this tower is right in the middle of the downtown and would look great with something on top. I was thinking something along the lines of the crown on The Melville in Vancouver.

And just on a side note I took a nice walk last night around town and I went down by Pier 21. The area is looking really sharp. Breakhouse Design has finished their renovations and have a cool lighted feature on the building. And also a new piazza of sorts has been built in front of the museum. It has all the provincial crests embedded into the paving stones. Next time I'm down there with my camera I'll snap some pics.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2009, 4:31 PM

yeh, that is good about the TD tower it has to be one of the thinest looking towers in halifax. although i would also like to see the mirror glass stay not only does it look good on a nice day but when the fireworks are going at the grand parade it looks fantastic.
but all and all the stuff there doin on barrington seems to be pretty good and hopefully it will look really good in a few years, thank god, it is startin to look like a ghost town in the day.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth