HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 7:01 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Also, have you thought about changing your username to ILUVAUS because you seem more Austin inclined than SAT. Nothing wrong with it, just an observation.
No. And, no. Obviously I have gotten under your skin somehow. Apologies.

SAT is the tree-letter acronym for not just San Antonio International Airport - but, it also represents the City of San Antonio (Texas).

I was born (and spent a lot of my formative years) in SA and I have a ton of family in Austin. Additionally, you cannot argue that there are more interesting things going on up there than in SA lately. Maybe things are changing down in SA?!? We'll see...

Last edited by ILUVSAT; Sep 21, 2023 at 7:13 PM.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 7:02 PM

Well...there you go. It's seasonal 3x weekly from Mid-May through early September.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...c-flights.html

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 7:08 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Their website indicates daily flights in the summer though. So either the website or the article are wrong (I assume the website)

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Their website indicates daily flights in the summer though. So either the website or the article are wrong (I assume the website)
Several news outlets are also reporting that the initial season (2024) will be 3x weekly. No mention of daily service - yet.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 7:41 PM
JACKinBeantown

You can see the Doppler shift as the plane flies past you.

https://www.bizjournals.com/sananton...c-flights.html

And I think it was inspired by an early episode of MASH.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/fe/64/7f/f...gers-mash-.jpg

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 9:06 PM
Member since 2001

Actually, I have heard that Condor's new A339neo product is quite impressive for a leisure airline. Could give a mainline carrier a run for its money (especially compared to U.S. legacy airlines).

Congrats San Antonio! Please use the service so it doesn't fail. This is good news for the entire region.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 9:29 PM

Just heard the news and came straight here to gauge the reactions. This is a huge win for SA and I'm so excited for the city as a whole, but I'm a a bit nervous at the same time. The 330-900 seems like a big bet with all those seats but I'm more hopeful the city will show up for this flight and continue its onward trajectory when it comes to transatlantic service. I don't even wanna think about the hate from the losers on the Austin forum if SAT loses this service.

But really, what gate is this going to use? I'd assume one in Terminal A where there's access to immigration but no holdrooms come close to having the capacity. Does Terminal B have immigration access?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2023, 9:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
Just heard the news and came straight here to gauge the reactions. This is a huge win for SA and I'm so excited for the city as a whole, but I'm a a bit nervous at the same time. The 330-900 seems like a big bet with all those seats but I'm more hopeful the city will show up for this flight and continue its onward trajectory when it comes to transatlantic service. I don't even wanna think about the hate from the losers on the Austin forum if SAT loses this service.

But really, what gate is this going to use? I'd assume one in Terminal A where there's access to immigration but no holdrooms come close to having the capacity. Does Terminal B have immigration access?
One of the threads on Airliners was pretty funny. Someone (not sure if they were from Austin or not) said a few weeks ago there was a better chance of pigs flying than SAT getting a Europe direct lmao. Did not age well at all.

Huge win for the city though. Hopefully it all works out well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post

And I think it was inspired by an early episode of MASH.
The M*A*S*H reference really dates you.
We’ll done 😆 I remember that episode

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:27 AM

Once Condor has established itself inside a market the airline is known to purchase a block of apartment flats for the flight crew to use in its off time. Usually clustered around a pool or tennis court the airline owned apartment units are known as.......condorminium.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:25 AM

From KSAT 12:

Director of Airports Jesus Saenz Jr. said there were more than 300 Europe-bound travelers a day leaving San Antonio International Airport in the summer of 2022 and roughly the same number arriving.

A “vast majority” of their passengers in 2022 and 2023 were headed to Germany, he said.

“So that’s one of the biggest reasons it was very attractive to want to move in that direction,” he said.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...3gt2_q36MTyrxY

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:08 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAguy View Post
From KSAT 12:

Director of Airports Jesus Saenz Jr. said there were more than 300 Europe-bound travelers a day leaving San Antonio International Airport in the summer of 2022 and roughly the same number arriving.

A “vast majority” of their passengers in 2022 and 2023 were headed to Germany, he said.

“So that’s one of the biggest reasons it was very attractive to want to move in that direction,” he said.

https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2023...3gt2_q36MTyrxY
Kind of surprised it's a "vast majority". I've never seen Germany as a stellar vacation destination compared to say France or Italy. I've spent time in Frankfurt, like many other German cities, it's sort of like visiting Minneapolis (which is no offense to my Minnesota friends, but in terms of tourist draws it's not exactly Miami). And it's not like we have a Volkswagen factory here or something to bring business travelers... Maybe it's military folks?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole world11 View Post
I don't even wanna think about the hate from the losers on the Austin forum if SAT loses this service.
Then don't.

There may be one or two idiots who will. However, the vast majority of them are more interested in talking about the $4+ billion expansion of AUS and new services like a Air Canada's second daily to Toronto and Montreal coming in 2024.

In fact, someone mentioned the possible route two days ago and only one person commented on said post - it was to confirm seasonal 3x weekly. That's it. No more comments.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Then don't.

There may be one or two idiots who will. However, the vast majority of them are more interested in talking about the $4+ billion expansion of AUS and new services like a Air Canada's second daily to Toronto and Montreal coming in 2024.

In fact, someone mentioned the possible route two days ago and only one person commented on said post - it was to confirm seasonal 3x weekly. That's it. No more comments.
Agreed, I'm a frequent visitor on airliners and there's always the debate between SAT and AUS. On here as well, but I always just think of both cities as one area in the future.

Wife will be based out of AUS and I'm from SAT, but looking for a place in between. I'm excited about both airports growth and it's going to be great for the area regardless.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 5:04 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
The M*A*S*H reference really dates you.
We’ll done I remember that episode
I was born in 1809... same year as Abraham Lincoln.

And I was going to put the asterisks between the letters as you did. Thank you for the correction.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 10:05 AM

San Antonio International Airport ranks among the best in US and Canada

Old Posted Sep 24, 2023, 5:49 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
None of the top 10 are truly large airports. I think there's a statement to be made there.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
None of the top 10 are truly large airports. I think there's a statement to be made there.
The methodology and grouping metrics are available in the report.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 5:37 PM

Beyond excited for the Condor announcement. I'll be using it next summer for certain. Here's to hoping the service is a success and it sticks.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2023, 6:57 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post
The methodology and grouping metrics are available in the report.
OK. I see that they have a category called "Mega Airports." I would call those large and SAT medium instead of resorting to the category name of "Mega", but then again I also disagree with the ridiculous coffee cup size names at Starbucks but in the opposite direction. Anyway, here's the "Large" list. I'm glad SAT made the top 10.

The 10 Best Large Airports in the U.S. and Canada, according to J.D. Power, include:

Tampa International Airport
John Wayne Airport, Orange County
Salt Lake City International Airport
Dallas Love Field
Raleigh-Durham International Airport
Sacramento International Airport
William P. Hobby Airport
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
San Antonio International Airport
Calgary International Airport

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio