HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 9:28 PM

The 600K came directly from the previous study (many years old now) of how much new Class A office space they thought could be absorbed. Sounds like they have concluded it could be more.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
Eventually, as downtown and these areas begin to run out of places to redevelop, I hope the Hill District really starts to take off!
Aaron (Glowrock)
It may take years, but I agree that the Hill will one day rise as a hot neighborhood. It has the perfect location in Pittburgh. Currently, it is just not a nice neighborhood. Eventually the location should force the neighborhood to rise to its potential.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:10 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
600k sq ft of office space over a 28 acre site immediately adjacent to the Grant Street corridor is not very much... especially considering how tight the Downtown class A office market is... and the economic growth projected for the future.
But 1200 residential units or more will certainly take up a good part of that acreage, Evergrey. Along with the rebuilding of the grid through the parcel as well, of course. I actually think the development of the property will be pretty dense, though probably not as tall as many of us would like, of course.

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowrock View Post
But 1200 residential units or more will certainly take up a good part of that acreage, Evergrey. Along with the rebuilding of the grid through the parcel as well, of course. I actually think the development of the property will be pretty dense, though probably not as tall as many of us would like, of course.

Aaron (Glowrock)
Yet still taller than a parking lot.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:20 AM

Indeed, 600,000 sq feet of office and 1200 residential seems like it is way more than anything the Penguins proposed before. It would only make sense for it to be more dense (and maybe get rid of some of those single family disjoint houses there were in original plans).

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:36 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbana View Post
Indeed, 600,000 sq feet of office and 1200 residential seems like it is way more than anything the Penguins proposed before. It would only make sense for it to be more dense (and maybe get rid of some of those single family disjoint houses there were in original plans).
600k sq feet and 1200 residential is what the Penguins proposed when they released their master plan last year. According to the latest newspaper article posted here... they are considering increasing the office space due to the favorable economic climate in Pittsburgh.

Here is the PDF of the Penguins Presentation from 2010:
http://www.pgh-sea.com/images/LHR_Me...on20100317.pdf

BrianTH posted these small renderings in the "Lower Hill Redevelopment" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Some images from the Penguins' proposal for development (note this may have been modified):

Last edited by Evergrey; Mar 22, 2012 at 2:52 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:47 AM
Eurosceptic

Not sure if this has been posted yet... but I figured PA Pri... I mean Austinlee... would appreciate it.

Promo video of RiverVue!

http://vimeo.com/32866389

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:57 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Not sure if this has been posted yet... but I figured PA Pri... I mean Austinlee... would appreciate it.

Promo video of RiverVue!

http://vimeo.com/32866389
Cool. Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:01 AM
Eurosceptic

Here's the interactive master plan for the "neo-traditional neighborhood" of Newbury Market in South Fayette! Live! Work! Play!

http://www.newburymarket.com/live_work_play/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 1:50 PM
BANNED

Will be interesting to see if it can work...

All hail the cabs: Pittsburgh has a chance to ride in big-city style

March 22, 2012 12:00 am
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-style-627430/

In New York or Washington, D.C., people complain that it's hard to get a cab when it rains. In Pittsburgh, people complain that it's hard to get a cab in any weather, unless the rider is at a hotel or the airport.

Pittsburgh just isn't a cab town. Several theories abound but, whatever the reason, the lack of taxis is a legitimate complaint of visitors who are used to better service elsewhere. The city has great hotels, fine restaurants and lively communities to visit -- if you have your own way to get there and back.

In a city where it is not the custom for cabs to be hailed from the street, it's not just visitors who suffer. The dreams of Pittsburgh being a true destination point are parked at the curb. Fortunately, that may change.

On Tuesday, Pittsburgh Transportation Group --which includes Yellow Cabs, shuttle vans and coaches and limousines -- announced a service by the new Pittsburgh City Cab, which will offer short runs between Downtown and nearby neighborhoods, such as the North Shore, the South Side, Mount Washington and Oakland.

The six black-and-white cars are not cabs to catch for a trip to Pittsburgh International Airport -- and that's not the only big difference from usual practice. Jerry Campolongo, director of Yellow Cab Co. and Pittsburgh City Cab, said riders can hail these taxis from the curb if they are not occupied. (Next year, regular cabs might be allowed to stop for hailing customers.)

The new idea is to promote service in the city's core, connecting restaurants and other businesses with desirable destinations nearby. Cars will be added as needed, so there is a Field of Dreams element to the plan -- provide it and they will come.

We hope the riders do come, filling more cabs and patronizing a service that other great cities have and Pittsburgh deserves.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 2:33 PM

I may have been off on my hasty estimate of the size of the office space, but if that image is correct, it's still underwhelming.

I get it, a big tower won't be built and that's fine. However, the "front" side of the area (western fringe closest to downtown, should "scale down" from downtown, especially considering several of the city's largest building anchor the most eastern portion of the triangle.

I'm thinking of a smaller version of Atlantic Station here in Atlanta if any of you are familiar with it. Now, I actually feel that the project was a missed opportunity for the city and have problems with it, but the concept with 2-3 anchor towers (maybe 20 stories, at least one if office, one hotel exists, and at least one condo tower which is hurting locally) and then a small cluster of lowrise buildings with mostly street level retail/dining. I don't think this should be duplicated, but these elements (which are part of many mixed used concepts) would serve the arena lot and massive parking lot behind it well.

I'm thinking that this might look more like Columbus' arena district, which is fine in and of itself, but again, there are few opportunities of "open" space new the central business district and some relative scale would be nice.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 3:54 PM
BANNED

We will get something that is "better than what is there now" on this once-in-a-lifetime 28 acre site in the very core of the city immediately adjacent to its most prominent buildings.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 5:11 PM

For anyone who wants to see what was under the horrible orange facade on the Italian Sons and Daughters building on the corner of Wood and Forbes that used to house a very gross McDonald's, it has been taken down!
Brendan Gill, architecture writer for The New Yorker, 1990: "The three most beautiful cities in the world are Paris; St. Petersburg, Russia; and Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh were situated somewhere in the heart of Europe, tourists would eagerly journey hundreds of miles out of their way to visit it."

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittPenn 03 View Post
For anyone who wants to see what was under the horrible orange facade on the Italian Sons and Daughters building on the corner of Wood and Forbes that used to house a very gross McDonald's, it has been taken down!
It is indeed a gorgeous building underneath. Glad it's exposed now. I posted some pics of it in the PNC Tower thread.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 8:14 PM
Hell with the Lid Off.

City tourism up 14 percent from 2010
With event bookings on the upswing, hotels and restaurants on streets surrounding the David L. Lawrence Convention Center are enjoying a bump in sales.

Tourism organization VisitPittsburgh said on Wednesday that it booked 538 meetings and conventions last year for 2011 and later years at various Downtown venues. That's up 14 percent from the 472 events put on its schedule for the region in 2010, leaders said at the nonprofit's annual meeting in the Senator John Heinz History Center.

For the convention center alone, VisitPittsburgh booked 49 events covering 202 days, including the One Young World global youth leadership summit set for Oct. 18-22. Last year's summit in Zurich drew 1,200 people from 170 countries. Some events are held elsewhere, such as Consol Energy Center and area hotels.

Convention center bookings are up from 33 the previous year, representing 205 days. The region's hotel occupancy rate rose to 68.1 percent, from 66.2 percent and 61.8 percent in the two prior years.

"Pittsburgh is really peaking right now," said Craig Davis, who became VisitPittsburgh's CEO yesterday. "We're in the national news. We're getting accolade after accolade. We're becoming in many ways a focus city for conventions.

"It's easy to get here. We have a great hotel product, fantastic restaurants and our convention center is one of the best, if not the best midsize convention center" in the United States, Davis said. The 538 bookings represent an estimated $229 million in spending, including visitors buying souvenirs and dining in local restaurants.

VisitPittsburgh searches nationwide for meetings, then refers interested customers to hotels that handle bookings based on their availability. Last year's hotel occupancy rate was the city's highest going back 21 years, Davis said, and it beat the national average of 60 percent.

Tom Martini, general manager of the Westin Convention Center Hotel, said 2011 was the hotel's best year since 2001. He credits much of the increase to Pittsburgh's escaping the worst of the recession and to the worldwide attention that the G-20 summit brought to the city in 2009.

"That's when people said, 'We've got to see what Pittsburgh is about,' " he said.

Hotel rooms near the convention center have increased in number from 2,500 a decade ago to about 4,000 now, Martini said. Room nights sold in the Downtown area went up by 10,000 last year, about a 10 percent increase. A similar increase is expected this year, he said.

The Marcellus shale natural gas production industry has hosted several conferences at the convention center, local businesses noted, and some of the biggest boosts last year were the National Rifle Association convention and the Anthrocon gathering of people who identify with animals and may dress up and act like them.

This week's Marcellus Midstream Conference at the center meant busy lunch hours, said Mark Sampson, general manager of the Sharp Edge Bistro on Penn Avenue.

"The restaurant business Downtown is bipolar. You never know what you're going to get and when you'll get it," Sampson said.

Mark Ondrey, manager of Tonic Bar and Grill on Liberty Avenue, said his staff is hard-pressed to keep up with crowds on convention days, especially at lunch. The restaurant has seating for nearly 100.

"It's almost too much, but we try to do our best," Ondrey said.

VisitPittsburgh said yesterday that a new Welcome Pittsburgh Information Center and Gift Shop at Fifth Avenue Place generated $35,000 in merchandise sales, up 218 percent from the previous year. The former shop was at Gateway Center.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_787673.html

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:07 PM

I've mentioned before my ambition for the Lower Hill is something like the area around the Verizon Center in DC. I get that people want taller, but with the increasing elevation it would at least have a presence from Downtown, and such an area can be very lively.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 9:39 PM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
600k sq ft of office space over a 28 acre site immediately adjacent to the Grant Street corridor is not very much... especially considering how tight the Downtown class A office market is... and the economic growth projected for the future.
If it were up to me, I could see a 30 or 40-story building or two going up here, something similar to PNC's Tower project, which, by the way is to have roughly 800k sq ft of office space. The other buildings would contain a mix of ground-level retail and upper level residential. Building heights of these buildings would range from 8 floors (near Crawford Square) to 14 floors (closer to Downtown).

Too bad Port Authority never built a Spine Line underneath the Hill District heading out to Oakland and included a stop at the Lower Hill. This development could then have been tied in with that and probably have been more densly designed, such as my vision above...

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 10:00 PM

I could see a couple towers pushing 20 stories to meet the commercial space needs.. and then possibly a 3rd tower for condos/apartments. The rest I imagine would be 2 story residential in the eastern end to 3-5 story residential going further west.

Is it weird to anyone else that the Penguins are talking about increasing commercial sq. footage in the development to meet market demand, while on the N. Shore a 2 story commercial building is "as good as it gets" according to its developers?

Old Posted Mar 22, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan Werner View Post
Is it weird to anyone else that the Penguins are talking about increasing commercial sq. footage in the development to meet market demand, while on the N. Shore a 2 story commercial building is "as good as it gets" according to its developers?
Lol.

http://blogs.wpri.com/2011/06/06/hoc...-and-nfl-fans/

Old Posted Mar 23, 2012, 12:42 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
LOL indeed!

Nah, I don't think it's weird... The Northshore developers are just rediculously out-of-touch with what's going on on the other side of the river...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations