HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 5:48 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lyons View Post
$100,000, even for a studio, is nonexistent in desirable LA neighborhoods. This may be high for the Tucson market, but I kind of don't think it is. I thought the units were pretty fairly priced although I'd rather spend a little more to get some better finishes.

EDIT - Just to make a direct comparison, here are the Zillow results for downtown LA in the $100,000 to $200,000 price range. You'll note that both properties are not actually in downtown LA.

http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale...06_rect/12_zm/

This is how many you get when you up the maximum to $500,000.

This is how many in that range have more than one bedroom.

So, essentially, it takes about $350,000 to get you into the one-bedroom market in downtown LA.
DTLA isn't even the most desired area, meaning $350k is a deal! I would assume that the HOA will be close to $500/month.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2013, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo the Dog View Post
DTLA isn't even the most desired area, meaning $350k is a deal! I would assume that the HOA will be close to $500/month.
Yeah, I'd say at least that much. HOA fees were unstated in this article, IIRC, so I'm curious what they are here.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2013, 10:12 AM

I like to lit THE fire again.

This plan will NOT work.

Tucson needs at least more parkways, if not freeways. Crossing 22nd st is like crossing an interstate highway.

Old Posted Dec 16, 2013, 11:57 PM
Registered Chief Weirdo

New money just came in for the McKale Center Renovation. Those pictures are looking pretty good for what is planned.

AZ Wildcats McKale Davis Money

Old Posted Dec 17, 2013, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMole View Post
New money just came in for the McKale Center Renovation. Those pictures are looking pretty good for what is planned.

AZ Wildcats McKale Davis Money
It's at AZ Star , also.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2013, 9:10 PM

Proposed outlet center could generate $89 million for Pima County for wildlife corrid

ANOTHER developer is racing to beat the Outlet development on Twin Peaks Road. This new proposal would be off of Avra Valley Road. They are proposing a Summer 2014 start (6 months away...).

Link

AWE Talisman is the company. Click on their link and you can see all the other outlet malls they've developed...and the stores they attract.

Last edited by southtucsonboy77; Dec 18, 2013 at 9:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2013, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southtucsonboy77 View Post
ANOTHER developer is racing to beat the Outlet development on Twin Peaks Road. This new proposal would be off of Avra Valley Road. They are proposing a Summer 2014 start (6 months away...).

Link

AWE Talisman is the company. Click on their link and you can see all the other outlet malls they've developed...and the stores they attract.
SouthTucsonboy, thank you so much for posting that....that is just all kinds of kick ass with a side of awesome sauce. Made my holidays that much cheerier. Wish Austin could have finagled something like that.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2013, 3:53 AM

1023 N. Tyndall, the lot directly across from the Level, has been purchased by core campus, the developers of hub. The lot will probably be a 12 story tower, which is the largest allowed in the lot. http://m.azstarnet.com/news/local/go...ile_touch=true

Here's another link to the Outlets at Tucson
http://m.azstarnet.com/business/loca...ile_touch=true

As development springs back into full force in the Southeast side, here's a link from 20 years ago about development in the area.http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/199...-set-for-boom/

Old Posted Dec 26, 2013, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
1023 N. Tyndall, the lot directly across from the Level, has been purchased by core campus, the developers of hub. The lot will probably be a 12 story tower, which is the largest allowed in the lot. http://m.azstarnet.com/news/local/go...ile_touch=true

I'm hoping that would be a non-student 'tower'. Nice find.

I can't wait to see the rendering of this 'tower' and since it's being built by the developers of the HUB, this will be another tearjerker development for me. ...I"m beginning to shed some tears right at this moment

btw, the One East Broadway complex is turning out to be a decent looking building.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2013, 10:41 PM

More info on the proposed outlet mall at I-10 and Avra Valley Road...

From Inside Tucson Business

Marana area gets new outlet mall, Pima County gets $90M for wildlife corridor

An outlet mall developer with sights set on the Marana area has promised to set aside $89 million for a wildlife corridor between the Tucson and Tortolita mountains.

Florida-based AWE Talisman, which is expected to purchase 100 acres at the southwest corner of Avra Valley Road and Interstate 10 for the future home of a 100-store outlet mall, agreed to collect a 2 percent “environmental fee” — essentially, a sales tax — to keep the surrounding desert open for animals that use it to travel between the two mountain ranges.

The Pima County Board of Supervisors green-lighted the development agreement Dec. 17.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheBurbs View Post
More info on the proposed outlet mall at I-10 and Avra Valley Road...

From Inside Tucson Business

Marana area gets new outlet mall, Pima County gets $90M for wildlife corridor

An outlet mall developer with sights set on the Marana area has promised to set aside $89 million for a wildlife corridor between the Tucson and Tortolita mountains.

Florida-based AWE Talisman, which is expected to purchase 100 acres at the southwest corner of Avra Valley Road and Interstate 10 for the future home of a 100-store outlet mall, agreed to collect a 2 percent “environmental fee” — essentially, a sales tax — to keep the surrounding desert open for animals that use it to travel between the two mountain ranges.

The Pima County Board of Supervisors green-lighted the development agreement Dec. 17.

I have to say that I am looking forward to this. I'm tired of developers thinking that we need to drive to phoenix to shop

Old Posted Dec 31, 2013, 3:41 PM

KVOA did a story on the proposed outlet malls yesterday..

2 outlet centers planned northwest of Tucson

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:35 PM

Pima County Fairgrounds racetrack could start construction next year, if county OKs

The first lighted open-wheel race course in the U.S. might begin construction near the Pima County Fairgrounds by late 2014 or early 2015, according to successful Tucson architect and lifelong racing enthusiast Richard “Andy Anderson. The county Board of Supervisors is expected to consider whether to approve the project in January.

The proposed Southern Arizona Raceway would be a class 2 certified track, meaning that it could be used by Indy Cars, NASCAR, sports cars, superbikes and just about anything with wheels other than Formula 1, which was the initial idea floated earlier this year.

Charles Quiroz, operator of the Musselman Honda Circuit, 11800 S. Harrison Road, and Anderson’s SAR project partner, said the strict regulations required for a Formula 1 certification would exponentially increase the cost of construction. Quiroz said the nation’s first Formula 1 track that opened in Austin, Texas, in 2012 cost a whopping $475 million to build and has much higher maintenance costs than the $15 million track Anderson has proposed.

SAR would be a 2.8-mile track with 14 turns and multiple track configurations. Anderson was a principal in the national architecture firm Anderson DeBartolo Pan, which designed the master plan for the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, the 1994 World Cup, which was held in stadiums around the country with the final at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, Calif., and multiple NFL Super Bowls.

After the big firm was sold, Anderson started his own firm in 1997 and had a hand in the redesign and renovation of Laguna Seca Raceway in Monterey, Calif., and several other tracks around the country.
But before he can start building a track, Pima County has to OK it first, since it will be built on county-owned land.

Tom Moulton, Pima County director of economic development, said a county selection committee is reviewing Anderson’s proposal, the sole bid on the county’s call for proposals. Anderson and Quiroz created Arizona International MotorSports Museum in 2012 to bid on the track. The committee recently sent Anderson a request for more information about the project and its business plan, Moulton said.

The project would be built in three phases over 10 years. The first phase will cost about $15 million to get the track open. Subsequent phases will add on additional facilities and seating and should end up costing $70 million at completion, Anderson said.

Anderson said he hopes the track will be drawing 250,000 visitors a year by the end of the third phase.
“We believe the methodology behind the business plan was well thought out,” Moulton said, adding that the partners spent three years consulting with other track owners and road courses around the country in developing the SAR plan.

Once all of its questions are answered, the selection committee will vote on when to start lease negotiations and if all goes well, Moulton said the bid could go before the Board of Supervisors in January.
County Administrator Chuck Huckelberry said he supports the raceway because it will make use of 400 acres of unused public land and since it’s a private investment, it won’t cost county taxpayers any money.

“That translates to economic development,” Huckelberry said. He added that should the operators fail to make their lease payments, which are expected to be about $140,000 a year, the county would inherit the improvements on the property at no cost.

The track is planned for land just south of the fairgrounds and adjacent to or near four existing race courses:

• Tucson Speedway, a three-quarter mile paved oval typically used for stock car racing.
• Merle’s Southwestern International Raceway, a 1.4-mile drag strip
• Musselman Honda Circuit, a paved circuit used by cars, motorcycles and go-karts.
• MC Motorsports Park, a dirt course with jumps used for motocross racing

The county chose the site because of its proximity to the other tracks and because of its distance from residential areas that might be concerned about noise, Moulton said.

Racing has been up and down the past decade, especially open-wheel racing, leading local critics to question whether the proposed track can attract enough fans to make it viable.

Big-time auto racing, like most industries, has been in decline the past few years, with NASCAR attendance off nearly 25 percent from its 2005 high, and IndyCar has struggled to rebuild the open wheel racing fan base after it formed out of the aftermath of the IRL CART split in the 1990s.

The one-mile oval Phoenix International Raceway in Avondale got its start and its claim to fame as the fastest one-mile oval in the world as an open-wheel course. But after the fall of CART, PIR has become home to two NASCAR Sprint Cup races every year.

Another Phoenix track, the multi-turn Firebird Raceway on the Gila River Indian Reservation near Chandler, closed in April after years of struggling to turn a profit.

The Musselman Honda Circuit regularly draws small crowds of about 200, Quiroz said, but when it hosts international events such as the Rotax Challenge of the Americas, go-kart racing’s premier event held the last weekend of January, the track can draw thousands of spectators.

“We think there’s ample people to support (SAR),” Anderson said.

He said about 1.3 percent of the U.S. population are race fans and SAR expects to draw most of its spectators from within a one-hour flight or two-hour drive radius, which would include Los Angeles and parts of northern Mexico.

“It would be a huge attraction,” Supervisor Ray Carroll said.

The fairgrounds are in Carroll’s district and he said some constituents have asked him about track’s noise potential.

“Sound can be a killer of a race track,” Quiroz said.

In fact, Anderson said most of his projects never come to fruition because of noise, traffic or light issues. But he said he also thinks the fairgrounds and existing tracks are “large and loud enough” that one more track couldn’t hurt.

Besides the track, the partners also plan for the track to have a racing school, host sports car clubs and an historic racing museum. Anderson said they’re also talking to the University of Arizona and technical schools about using the track to test engineering concepts. They’re also talking to auto manufacturers about using the track for testing.

“We feel like we’re going to bring a lot clean and high-tech industry into Tucson,” Quiroz said. “The engineering aspect is huge in what Andy and I are doing. It’s going to lead to a better and healthier environment.”

Old Posted Jan 2, 2014, 8:47 PM

Realignment of Hughes Access Road

The project to move Hughes Access Rd. south is expected to begin by this summer. County officials are trying to get all the loose ends covered so there is no delay. The movement of the road south about a half mile to allow for many things, most important being allowing plenty of room for Raytheon to expand it’s operations. Tucson international Airport is also planning on building an additional 11,000 ft. runway with the extra space to accommodate the anticipated additional air traffic as the idea of the inland port of Tucson continues. A new 10 mile defense and aerospace corridor will also be made by possible the realignment. Pima County has allotted about $8 million for the project so far. The movement of the road will allow for more commerce to be directly connected to TIA and with the anticipated future plans for the Cities economy, that will be needed.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2014, 5:25 AM

Two outlet centers seems big for tucson. Most cities get one outlet center for every million of residents that they have. I think that we're really going to benefit from the close proximity of Mexico

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritarancher View Post
Two outlet centers seems big for tucson. Most cities get one outlet center for every million of residents that they have. I think that we're really going to benefit from the close proximity of Mexico
I find this a bit odd - the VF Outlet mall closed, the Foothills mall went away from the outlet concept, the Sierra Vista outlets are all over the place - and all in better economic times. I wonder what makes developers think we can successfully have two of these.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:19 PM

As a belated holiday gift to the thread, I have made yet another update to my metro Tucson project list (see link below). Happy 2014!

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:22 PM

Let's be honest, the VF outlets are an absolute joke. Also, I'm originally from Sierra Vista and I don't know what outlets you're referring to down there. Foothills mall is the only relatively direct comparison and I think it was mired by bad management for years. The fact that it only became an outlet mall after it failed as a real mall elucidates on that.

The economic input per year of the Mexican visitors targeted by these centers is in the hundreds of millions of dollars if not more. I'd be surprised if these places didn't make money as long as they're well managed.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 8:27 PM

The Daily Star ran an article about Potbelly opening three locations in Tucson over the next several months the other day. In searching for renderings of Next, I just stumbled upon this: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&stream_ref=10

That's a good tenant to start out with and, hopefully, is indicative of what the mixed use buildings (Hub and Next) will bring to the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2014, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
As a belated holiday gift to the thread, I have made yet another update to my metro Tucson project list (see link below). Happy 2014!
THANKS!!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest