HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:23 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
I only knew of the one upstairs at fashion park and the one downtown. Texas company, I thought.
They had those two locations in Phoenix, but no others in Arizona that I recall. The only surviving location is in St. Louis: https://stlouis.canyoncafe.com/

Old Posted Aug 25, 2021, 10:26 PM

That's funny they have one in STL, guess I shouldn't be surprised it's at Frontenac. They probably consider Southwestern something foreign and special around those parts.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 12:35 AM
Skyriser

A few hundred residents isn't going to save Arizona Center, it's nearly all vacant not just majority vacant. Stupid thing should've been torn down and redone from the get go.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
A few hundred residents isn't going to save Arizona Center, it's nearly all vacant not just majority vacant. Stupid thing should've been torn down and redone from the get go.
Have a feeling this will be the end-result. Will be bulldozed for more towers and i feel they're very unlikely to include any retail as this point.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:57 AM

It isn’t just Palm Court though. With the first 2 link buildings, moon tower, Skye… all being within a short walk. Was link phase one even moving people in before the pandemic started? When the anchor of the entire shopping center is a movie theater and a hooters it is understandable that business is bad.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 7:46 AM
Skyriser

The fact that the AMC and hooters survived the renovation make me question how committed the owners were to the whole endeavor.

That theater is due for a downsizing and upgrade with some of the luxe chains in other cities like Cinepolis or ICON that have lounges and better amenities. Instead, a filthy relic remains that has universally bad reviews over the last couple years.

Hooters was fine was I was 20 and that was the only restaurant open for lunch--things have changed. It's an old tired joke where it is at the most important corner of the complex and does the whole place a disservice.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:38 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourBuddy View Post
It isn’t just Palm Court though. With the first 2 link buildings, moon tower, Skye… all being within a short walk. Was link phase one even moving people in before the pandemic started? When the anchor of the entire shopping center is a movie theater and a hooters it is understandable that business is bad.
It's also the mass of ASU students as well. The area has been extremely busy with ASU students this week including Arizona Center as well as many students are hanging out and grabbing lunch at Starbucks, Bosa or Subway. I think this is what AZ Center needs more of...fast food spots for students and the lunch crowd to get a quick bite. Not everyone has time to sit down for 30+ minutes and spend $15+ for lunch daily. Full service restaurants are just something students are not going to do much of and AZ Center could do well at this IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
The fact that the AMC and hooters survived the renovation make me question how committed the owners were to the whole endeavor.

That theater is due for a downsizing and upgrade with some of the luxe chains in other cities like Cinepolis or ICON that have lounges and better amenities. Instead, a filthy relic remains that has universally bad reviews over the last couple years.

Hooters was fine was I was 20 and that was the only restaurant open for lunch--things have changed. It's an old tired joke where it is at the most important corner of the complex and does the whole place a disservice.
The theater was announced to be downsized with plans to remodel the remaining theater into a dine-in style theater, then the pandemic happened which effectively put a hold on the plans. I'm not sure what the new timeline is for this or if it's been put back into motion yet. If I have time today, I'll see if I can dig up any new information.

Hooters is always fairly busy, especially on game days. As long as it's bringing in customers, I don't see it going anywhere anytime soon.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:47 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
It's also the mass of ASU students as well. The area has been extremely busy with ASU students this week including Arizona Center as well as many students are hanging out and grabbing lunch at Starbucks, Bosa or Subway. I think this is what AZ Center needs more of...fast food spots for students and the lunch crowd to get a quick bite. Not everyone has time to sit down for 30+ minutes and spend $15+ for lunch daily. Full service restaurants are just something students are not going to do much of and AZ Center could do well at this IMO.
When it first opened, the Arizona Center had a food court on the second level. It didn't do well at the time, and the space was soon converted to offices. With all the students (not just ASU but also UA and NAU from the Biomedical Campus on the other side of 5th Street) around, I wonder if it would make sense to try again. This time, however, the food court should be in a highly visible location at ground level.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 5:20 PM

Quote:
This is my thought as well, AZ center is going to become a big open air food court for students, Convention guests and office workers just trying to get some quick cheap food.

it doesn't need shops or unique tenants it needs a Wendy's, a California pizza kitchen, a taco bell etc etc.

Maybe even a sizable dinner chain like a red robin or chilis that would all be perfect for the center.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 5:22 PM

Quote:
They should really be looking at building a ton of student housing on site. Imagine a couple of student housing towers integrated into the now renovated retail portions below. Could help better activate the street edges a bit more and I think it *could* be really great with the potential mixture of retail, social work and study space, abundance of outdoor spaces, etc.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:14 PM

It may make sense for AZ Center to open a "food hall" type experience, I think it would do well.

The original renderings of the AZ Center renovation had a building opposite the Hooters and it screamed Shake Shack location to me based on the one they built at Santan Village.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 4:40 PM

I think an under-appreciated fact about why Arizona Center has degraded is the commercial expansion in South Central Phoenix. Around 2000 is when they started getting new shops and restaurants in Laveen. This has to be a factor in taking away business.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 6:48 PM

https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-horton-plaza/

Horton and Arizona Center have always been the same thing, to me. That place is a glimpse into the future.

The answer there was completely abandoning the "shopping mall" idea. That was the answer at Park Central, too. It will be the answer at AZ Center, unfortunately.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
https://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/...-horton-plaza/

Horton and Arizona Center have always been the same thing, to me. That place is a glimpse into the future.

The answer there was completely abandoning the "shopping mall" idea. That was the answer at Park Central, too. It will be the answer at AZ Center, unfortunately.
What a kook for an author. Just click on his name and look at his creepy "selfie" headshot.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 8:10 PM
self-important urbanista

I had lunch today at Omoide, the little sushi & noodle joint in the Arizona Center. Some attendees from the American Legion convention, which is actually occurring in person at the Phoenix Convention Center, stepped inside, saw that it was too crowded for their group, and then decided to find another place. Sadly, all they'll find within the Arizona Center itself will be Bosa Donuts, Hooters, and Subway. As the convention business picks up, it's going to be pretty pathetic to see visitors wandering around a mostly empty plaza.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 8:51 PM

That was your take away?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2021, 9:00 PM

They need a Target down there, and maybe a smaller pet store/grooming/etc. Those types of businesses are needed and people are willing to travel a little further to get there. There are plenty of restaurants downtown so no reason to go over to Arizona Center just for that.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 12:35 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
They need a Target down there, and maybe a smaller pet store/grooming/etc. Those types of businesses are needed and people are willing to travel a little further to get there. There are plenty of restaurants downtown so no reason to go over to Arizona Center just for that.
This. There's a handful of fast food options surrounding Taylor Place and the convention center has a food hall as well.

They need a redone movie theater, an actual anchor like a Target, and neighborhood retail that downtown *still* lacks after all these years. The problem is none of that is dead-mall material, like you wouldn't go to Metrocenter for an ace hardware.

I wonder how long it'll take before the project gets repossessed. I can't imagine the one tower they own is in demand and they're certainly not making any money back on their renovations.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2021, 7:16 AM

The pandemic was horrible timing for AZ Center. Just as they finished and started getting new spots it hit. I’m around downtown often and there’s been different conventions every time I’m around downtown. A lot of dance recitals and karate type stuff, but still something going on. The hotels, Sheraton, AC, link 2, I’m with most people saying, fast food, fast casual spots should be popping up there, and just better advertising and promoting. You have cool Roosevelt Row a couple blocks away, why would anyone wanna go to AZ Center? I’m not mad at Hooters, we don’t have enough Sports bars downtown although 810 Bowling, if they do it right should be a great place for football this fall. It’s cooling down soon and school is in session, things are looking up! As long as COVID just dies already!!!!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2021, 8:29 PM
METRO: Encanto

I've never understood all of the hate that the AMC Theatres receive here. It's our go-to location for movies, at least it was when we were going to the movies, will be again soon hopefully. If there is a cleanliness issue I've missed it, if that is what the "filthy" comment suggested. The place has comfortable stadium seating, shows first run movies and has the basic concessions I would expect at such a place. Why the antipathy?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest