HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 7:17 PM
Bring out the cranes...

I wonder if the naming of the mall went somthing like this,

"The name of Murray City's new mall....."Fashion Valley Mall"

Sorry sir, but that name's already taken.....

"I meant to say....."Fashion Center Mall"

Also already taken sir....

"ok fine, Fashion Area Mall"

That's just stupid......

"Mmmmm.......let's see.......Fashion Place?"

very good sir....

"Ok, I'm going to lunch"
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 8:13 PM

Apple posted jobs for the Fashion Place Mall before the addition to the mall where the store is located was built. These advanced job listings are how ifoapplestore.com is able to figure out where new Apple stores are going to open.

I'm not saying this Bloomingdale's location is happening, but it's not impossible based on job postings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTvision View Post
I bet it was a listing for Fashion Valley Mall, Fashion Center Mall, or some other mall with fashion in its name. It's highly unlikely to look for employees before anything is announced. Especially since there isn't anywhere to build a Bloomingdales until Dillard's current location is demolished, a couple years away.
End of rumor.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2014, 11:14 PM

I hope it doesn't go to Fashion Place. Every time Salt Lake gains an advantage the suburbs strip it away and stunt downtown's growth.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 12:05 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTower View Post
I hope it doesn't go to Fashion Place. Every time Salt Lake gains an advantage the suburbs strip it away and stunt downtown's growth.
That's not always the case. Both H&M and Cheesecake Factory choose their first store to be in Murray, but then they choose their 2nd stores to be in downtown Salt Lake. Both cities now benefit from these two stores, but CCC always will come out on top since they have so much more then Fashion Place. Maybe the Lego store who has also open their first Utah store at fashion Place will pick City Creek Center as their 2nd.
If Bloomingdale's picks Murray first, it's not the end of the world for Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 4:14 AM

I get what you are saying, but if both Murray and Salt Lake have the same stores people that live in the suburbs won't bother coming downtown to shop. It waters down Salt Lake's offerings.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 4:24 AM
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.

Quote:
I get what you are saying, but if both Murray and Salt Lake have the same stores people that live in the suburbs won't bother coming downtown to shop. It waters down Salt Lake's offerings.
I agree. People only care about convenience. "Why the hell would I go downtown when I can find the same place 9 blocks down?"

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 5:15 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

My hope for a second Lego store in SL Valley would be Gateway. It seems like a perfect fit to me: The Clark Planetarium, Discovery Gateway Children's Museum, movie theaters, the Olympic Fountain and Build a Bear.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
My hope for a second Lego store in SL Valley would be Gateway. It seems like a perfect fit to me: The Clark Planetarium, Discovery Gateway Children's Museum, movie theaters, the Olympic Fountain and Build a Bear.
...and lots of vacant stores.

I agree with you on the fit for it; I just worry about the Gateway starting a retail collapse of some kind.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 6:35 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedikermit View Post
...and lots of vacant stores.

I agree with you on the fit for it; I just worry about the Gateway starting a retail collapse of some kind.
With the shear volume on new housing units so close to The Gateway I don't see a collapse happening. I see a refocusing on what it's core is, but I think it will continue to be successful.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:12 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToysNoiz View Post
I agree. People only care about convenience. "Why the hell would I go downtown when I can find the same place 9 blocks down?"
If people drive their big o SUVs and pick ups to downtown to shop at city creek ( and most do drive their cars vs taking Trax ) then it would be better for our lugs and our air if they just drive down a few streets to murray or sandy or where ever and stay in their neck of the woods. Sadly there's a reason why CCC has four levels of 5000 stalls block size underground parking. Most people drive into downtown. If one doesn't have any plans on using mass transit then the less driving, the better. Even if that means some have to shop in Murray. Just a thought.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:13 AM
The Drifter

About a week ago I was in the LEGO store and asked about if there was any word on a 2nd Utah location. What I was told is no there isn't. The current store will need to do 1 million in sells over a year before they are considered for a 2nd location. Then you have the time it takes to decided if its worth it and where it would go. Even if they do end up doing 1 million in sells from Jan 1st to Dec 31st this year I would say it would take an additional year before the 2nd location was completed and opened.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenF View Post
About a week ago I was in the LEGO store and asked about if there was any word on a 2nd Utah location. What I was told is no there isn't. The current store will need to do 1 million in sells over a year before they are considered for a 2nd location. Then you have the time it takes to decided if its worth it and where it would go. Even if they do end up doing 1 million in sells from Jan 1st to Dec 31st this year I would say it would take an additional year before the 2nd location was completed and opened.
The store manager said that they're on track to do more than a million in sales this year, that they're overperforming LEGO's sales projections by a lot. I believe she said they're the top store in the west, with the exception of the Downtown Disney store, which is massive, and moves massive amounts of product. You're right about LEGO having to decide if it's worth it, where it would go, time to purchase and plan and construct and everything -- but that first part of the puzzle looks like it's going to happen.

Honestly, I can see them studying it out and going to the new University Mall complex in Orem; a lot of their business comes from south of Point of the Mountain. Personally, I'd rather see it at Gateway or CCC, but depending on their data, I can see it going south.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 6:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Mayor View Post
With the shear volume on new housing units so close to The Gateway I don't see a collapse happening. I see a refocusing on what it's core is, but I think it will continue to be successful.
Right, instead of being a typical mall, it should include a gym, small grocery market and a few other neighborhood type shops. I was disappointed when Gateway opened because I thought it would include those things, from what the developer originally said.... basically 3-4 stores that focus on neighbors, the rest can be regular mall.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:24 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
But ... if you have a multi-node metro area, the overall miles driven can fall because amenities are closer to where people live.

(Sandy to Murray is fewer miles than Sandy to SLC, for instance).

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 7:48 PM

Yes, but we have a great transit system leading right into downtown

Old Posted Feb 10, 2014, 8:09 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stenar View Post
Right, instead of being a typical mall, it should include a gym, small grocery market and a few other neighborhood type shops. I was disappointed when Gateway opened because I thought it would include those things, from what the developer originally said.... basically 3-4 stores that focus on neighbors, the rest can be regular mall.
I've had those same thoughts, and although sometimes I think the people at the Gateway are somewhat dense I actually sent an e-mail, middle of last year, to the leasing manager. I suggested in the e-mail that they should pursue a small branch grocery store or at very least a drug store or both. To my surprise he actually said that he had been pursuing those and would love to see them in the neighborhood, but that non of the stores were interested in setting up shop in The Gateway.

Hopefully that changes as Liberty Gateway comes completely online and when Alta Gateway is built.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:07 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Founding some more projects going on around Murray that are new to me. At Fireclay there's site clearing happening on a lot that is West of the Birkhill Apartments on Main Street that is North of the townhouse and the first fireclay building. Not sure what's going in, if it's going to be more of those 3-story townhouse or more apartments? Anybody know?

Also notice there looks to be a building rising east of the four story hotel on state and vine that I don't know anything about. Another hotel?. More housing? Not sure. So much going on in Murray right now.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2014, 12:16 AM
Vote for me in 2019!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
Founding some more projects going on around Murray that are new to me. At Fireclay there's site clearing happening on a lot that is West of the Birkhill Apartments on Main Street that is North of the townhouse and the first fireclay building. Not sure what's going in, if it's going to be more of those 3-story townhouse or more apartments? Anybody know?

Also notice there looks to be a building rising east of the four story hotel on state and vine that I don't know anything about. Another hotel?. More housing? Not sure. So much going on in Murray right now.
I do know that the entire area from Fireclay Ave north to the creek, and from Main to the N/S street is going to be Townhomes.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 1:43 PM

Park City Library redo, $9.3 million, given go-ahead

City Councilors split their vote to renovate the historic building

The renovation of the Park City Library and Education Center will include an expansion to the north. Park City leaders want to start the renovation in June. Courtesy of Park City Municipal Corp.

Jay Hamburger THE PARK RECORD

http://www.parkrecord.com/park_city-...do-9-3-million

...The project is expected to start in June with full completion expected in June of 2015. The renovation of the third floor is projected to be completed by Jan. 1, 2015, though, to ensure the Santy Auditorium is ready for the Sundance Film Festival that month. The auditorium is a festival screening room.

The work was originally budgeted in 2013 at $5.6 million. The figure steadily climbed, reaching a current estimate of $9.3 million. Construction costs went up more than $1 million and environmental upgrades estimated at more than $1 million were added, the two largest increases.

The overall price also includes the temporary move of the library's operations, technology upgrades to the library and digital upgrades that will be made to the Santy Auditorium...

...The renovated library will feature numerous upgrades and more space for the collection as well as expanded community space. The supporters of the project argue that the library needs to be modernized. It is located in a historic building that once housed a high school. The work will include an expansion of the building slightly to the north...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 5:42 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

A few updates from Murray.

The new hotel on the corner of State and Vine. I love the density this creates.

This is the senior residential housing development directly behind(east) the north end of the hotel. You can see the hotel in the background of the picture.

These two buildings alone will give downtown Murray so much more density, I hope the trend will continue on other vacant and under utilized lots.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West