HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 12:53 PM

Unit cost?

Could anyone take a guess as to how much these units will go for? Like ballpark range?

Old Posted Oct 4, 2018, 10:33 PM

The proposed amendments are going forward to H&WCC next week for approval.

Case #21321

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 12:29 AM

So this project is owned by Urban Capital (think Gorsebrook Park, Southport). They've purchased the adjacent development block and associated development agreement (Macara Presidio) and is now proposing to merge the developement agreements to allow for a L-shaped building along the full Gottingen Street frontage. The building will have the same number of residential units, continuous commercial frontage on Gottingen, same townhouse idea on Macara, and a new private courtyard with pool on Bilby.

Halifax Planning - Case #22523 Details

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
So this project is owned by Urban Capital (think Gorsebrook Park, Southport). They've purchased the adjacent development block and associated development agreement (Macara Presidio) and is now proposing to merge the developement agreements to allow for a L-shaped building along the full Gottingen Street frontage. The building will have the same number of residential units, continuous commercial frontage on Gottingen, same townhouse idea on Macara, and a new private courtyard with pool on Bilby.

Halifax Planning - Case #22523 Details
Interesting: the rationale for providing better protection (from the wind) and exposure (to the sun) at the courtyard seems nice. I have difficulty understanding the proposed design for the courtyard based on the drawings at the link though... a concrete slab with a pool smacked into it wouldn't be worthy of basing a whole rationale like that on it - hope it's nicely designed and well-considered.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:04 AM

This is an improvement. I'm also really looking forward to the contribution the ground-floor commercial space will make to this section of Gottingen.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 3:02 AM

So this has been a through a few changes since the last post in this thread but now that there is a website I am saying this is the plan.

Urban Capital presents NRTH Condos

A sign just went up on site for this project which leads to this rendering so its safe to assume this is the current plan. The renderings seem to match Halifax Planning Case #22523. The confusion comes from the rendering above which shows both the commercial building and abandoned residential building on Bilby as remaining. What is clear though is the inclusion of the adjacent development agreement is not going ahead as mentioned in previous posts. Maybe they are holding off to see how this project goes before announcing plans for their property on Macara Street?

Last edited by Dmajackson; Jul 11, 2020 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 12:48 PM

Really surprising to see a Condo development. Everyone has been switching to Apartment buildings. The last time a condo was planned for this part of town was Monaghan… 5 years ago… and that got switched to apartments. Wonder if they will sell and how it’s being financed.

Just checked the website https://www.nrthcondos.com/ and it’s the same group that did Southpoint and Gorsebrook. So I imagine this will be financed the same way those were (however that was). The main question is if it’s a bank loan that’s tied to pre-sales or if the developer is floating the construction cost themselves. The former is how the Monaghan Condo project fell through. They only pre-sold a handful of units.

Last edited by Takeo; Jul 12, 2020 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 10:38 AM

it's funny I just assume that B&B Locksmith would be part of this project

Old Posted Jul 11, 2020, 5:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

That design looks like a step up from the average mid-sized North End infill project. Urban Capital's projects have been very nice so far.

The only complaint I have, which holds for a lot of new construction in the North End, is that the buildings tend to be grey or bland looking. Even a lot of houses seem to have gotten duller over the years, with more grey paint jobs.

Old Posted Jul 12, 2020, 11:42 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That design looks like a step up from the average mid-sized North End infill project. Urban Capital's projects have been very nice so far.

The only complaint I have, which holds for a lot of new construction in the North End, is that the buildings tend to be grey or bland looking. Even a lot of houses seem to have gotten duller over the years, with more grey paint jobs.
It's definitely the trend. More developments than I care to count are grey/black/white with wood accents.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 3:34 PM
Just 183 km north of...

My guess is that a small one bed one bath on the ground/lowest floor would be in the $389k range.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2020, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
My guess is that a small one bed one bath on the ground/lowest floor would be in the $389k range.
Yeah that sounds about right. I was thinking that a 2 bed 1 bath would definitely be over 400k. Does anyone know how soundproof these new developments are? Are they usually concrete?

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyTanyaM View Post
Yeah that sounds about right. I was thinking that a 2 bed 1 bath would definitely be over 400k. Does anyone know how soundproof these new developments are? Are they usually concrete?
Floors are always concrete of course. And there may be SOME concrete wall sections between units but not for sound proofing reasons. Just as sheer walls. But really, modern soundproofing isn’t about concrete. Concrete actually isn’t as soundproof as people think.

The number one most effective tool for soundproofing is separation of structure. You need a sound break between units. Basically an air gap. You don’t want ANY common structure between the units. So two units should never share the same studs for instance. Some places cheap out with a single wall assembly between units but may use resilient channel on the studs (lightweight horizontal strapping) in an attempt to mechanically isolate the drywall surfaces between units.

Another approach when using a single common wall are viscoelastic dampening compounds (green glue). Or special drywall that sandwiches two sheets with a dampening compound (quiet rock). But these are retrofit applications. Too expensive for new construction and not as effective as a simple double wall anyway. Which takes zero skill or training to do so contractors can’t screw it up. It’s REALLY REALLY easy to accidentally “short circuit” the sound isolation with single wall approaches. One screw into a stud instead of the resilient channel and the soundproofing is ruined. Some older apartments won’t let you hang stuff on the wall with screws / nails for this reason (The Jaimison)

But the GOLD STANDARD (as I just alluded to) is two complete separate walls. With double wall construction (so there is NO common structure between units at all) you have absolutely incredible sound attenuation between units. Combine that with double drywall (mass isn’t the be all / end all but it helps a little) plus resilient channel and you have near perfect sound proofing. And again, double wall uses standard construction methods that any contractor can easily accomplish.

I live in Monaghan Square and actually put a deposit down on one of the $199,000 units when it went on sale in 2015. And I asked for actual architectural drawings of the party wall assemblies. And it’s double wall with double drywall hung on resilient channel. And although the condo fell though it was still built to that spec (although the East tower just has single drywall but still double wall + resilient channel). I live there now as a renter (sadly). But let me tell you, the soundproofing is INSANE. There is someone on my floor with a piano. A REAL PIANO. You can hear it outside in the hallway of course, but inside your unit you cannot hear a thing! Nothing. I was in the West tower originally and I remember I went out once late at night to take the trash down and was surprised to hear that someone was having moderately noise party (good sized group of people carrying on, laughing, talking loud, music etc) but I had NO idea there was even a party going on until I left my unit.

I’m sure any condo today would be built to the same specs. Although I would ask of course. I also lived briefly in The Boss in Fairview (while waiting for my “condo” to be built... sob) and even though that’s a brand new building, the soundproofing is atrocious. Absolutely non-existent. Even with music at a normal listening volume it carries right through the walls. That building uses a single stud wall between units and the difference is night and day. The property management company is also a nightmare / mob-like but… that’s another story.

Final thought… think about a wall like the soundboard of a guitar. If you strike a tuning fork in the air you can barely hear it. But touch it to the soundboard of an acoustic guitar or a wall or table or whatever and the tuning fork sound will fill the room. So you don’t want to share a “soundboard” (wall) with your neighbour or you’ll hear everything. Two separate walls... a.k.a “double wall construction”… is what you want. That air gap stops the vibrations in its tracks and gives it nowhere to go. People always think soundproofing it about insulation or special materials or whatever but most of those things do next to nothing. Maybe a few decibels. The #1 thing you need is separation of structure. Sound between units travels through structure more so than air (unless there’s a hole in your wall… LOL)

Last edited by Takeo; Jul 25, 2020 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 12:10 PM

Thanks for sharing this great info re: soundproofing!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzt79 View Post
Thanks for sharing this great info re: soundproofing!
Indeed! I never knew about those techniques.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 2:34 AM

Welcome to the forum!

A July 20 piece in AllNovaScotia suggested that the units would not be that expensive, as they are on the smaller side (by Halifax standards). Prices at Southport (same developer, more desirable location) started at $204,000 for 500-square-foot units. The article said the NRTH price list and floorplans would be released in August.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Welcome to the forum!

A July 20 piece in AllNovaScotia suggested that the units would not be that expensive, as they are on the smaller side (by Halifax standards). Prices at Southport (same developer, more desirable location) started at $204,000 for 500-square-foot units. The article said the NRTH price list and floorplans would be released in August.
Thanks! Honestly that surprises me because I was bracing myself for them to be very pricey. Now I'm REALLY intrigued and looking forward to the price list and floorplan release in August

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Any way to link that article?

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyTanyaM View Post
Any way to link that article?
AllNS is subscription-based and I don't think there's a way to link to content for free.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
AllNS is subscription-based and I don't think there's a way to link to content for free.
Ah no problem, I wasn't aware that it was subscription based. Thanks for letting me know!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth