HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Nov 14, 2023, 6:41 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostyMug View Post
Would that be a case of, "Damned if we do and damned if we don't?"
Who’s “we”, and how so?
I’ve always thought that Ontarians prefer different colours at federal and provincial levels.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 4:15 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

https://globalnews.ca/news/10116918/...ivia-chow/amp/

A few items:
(1) upload of DVP and Gardiner Expressway to the province
(2) leasing of crown land in Ontario Place for 95 years

Item (2) sounds eerily familiar…

Old Posted Nov 27, 2023, 11:00 PM

There was something else talked about in the last few months that I can't remember now, that the province was taking over from Toronto that caused me to think "Ford is going to run for Mayor and he's setting himself up now to have the province take over expensive Toronto stuff". This makes me think that more now.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
There was something else talked about in the last few months that I can't remember now, that the province was taking over from Toronto that caused me to think "Ford is going to run for Mayor and he's setting himself up now to have the province take over expensive Toronto stuff". This makes me think that more now.
Wouldn't that be a step down going from the Premier of Ontario to Mayor of Toronto?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 2:29 PM

yes, absolutely. Only way I see it happening is Ford losing a provincial election and doing it as a backup (like Horwath did in Hamilton).

As it is, I would be surprised at this point if Ford doesn't win again in 2026 anyway (albeit perhaps with a minority) and end up as a 3-term Premier - which is about as good as it gets in terms of "political run". He's going to end up being one of the more consequential premiers in modern Ontario history.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 3:59 PM

I can totally see him stepping down as leader of the PCPO before the next election. I can also see him losing the next election, stepping down as leader and running for mayor immediately. That would normally be a short timeframe to launch a mayoral campaign to unseat an incumbent, but not if your last name is Ford. I also don't think being Mayor of Toronto is the same level of consolation prize as Vaughan or Hamilton is. I think DoFo considers it unfinished business.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 4:04 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quite possibly.
The chance of federal government going conservative is too high in 2025. That’s never a good news for provincial conservatives. So he may as well get a head start to prepare for the mayoral position.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 5:49 PM
User Registered

2026 is still a ways away but Douggie is the only name I know. I have no idea who the leaders of the other parties are right now (I'd have to look it up).

He's done some real P-in-the-PC things recently, which will cater to some progressive voters.

He needed a win after the greenbelt fiasco and I think the Gardiner-DVP upload is certainly it.

So ya at this point I have no reason why he shouldn't win another term, minority or majority. Guess we will see what happens in the next 2.5 years.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:06 PM

It will be interesting to see if the same highway deal applies to Ottawa (Reg Rd 174) and the EC Row Expressway in Windsor. I'm sure there are other examples around the province as well.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 7:13 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
It will be interesting to see if the same highway deal applies to Ottawa (Reg Rd 174) and the EC Row Expressway in Windsor. I'm sure there are other examples around the province as well.
Old 17 is likely due to exurban commuters from Prescott & Russell. In fact, I do believe that upload to province will be necessary for four-laning. The city of Ottawa is too ideological for that. I just don’t know if it’s possible to keep the 4 lanes divided through Cumberland. I’d imagine that property acquisition through there will cost $$$$$$$.
As for E.C. Row Expressway, that will have to spill into Essex County first.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 8:19 PM

They can have their Highway 126 in London back, since it needs to be rebuilt and the city has been deferring it due to costs on other road projects. Then they can also make it 4 lanes to St Thomas too.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 10:49 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
They can have their Highway 126 in London back, since it needs to be rebuilt and the city has been deferring it due to costs on other road projects. Then they can also make it 4 lanes to St Thomas too.
I’m actually thinking of that too, a proper London - St Thomas freeway along Highbury Road.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2023, 11:50 PM

I don't think a freeway is feasible given the number of homes on there but 4 lanes and somehow straighten the east Glanworth curve a bit would work.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 1:54 PM
User Registered

Quote:
The municipal freeways in Windsor, London, Ottawa, etc still serve mostly municipal traffic.

One outlier is Hamilton- the Linc/RHVP serve a lot of out of town / long distance traffic. I could see these being uploaded some time in the future.

My Simcity Stuff

Old Posted Nov 29, 2023, 2:53 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by haljackey View Post
The municipal freeways in Windsor, London, Ottawa, etc still serve mostly municipal traffic.
There could be a future case for the E.C. Row if there ends up being a lot of truck traffic between the new bridge and the industrial plants that connect to the local freeway.

And there should be. Connectivity within the Detroit-Windsor auto industry complex will improve immensely once Gordie Howe is open.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 2:22 AM

Looks like the Greens have taken Kitchener Centre by a big margin. NDP second, PC third, Liberal fourth.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 3:46 AM

I'm assuming this is the first time the Greens have held both the provincial and federal seats in a riding. It's probably also the first time neither the Liberals nor the Conservatives were considered contenders outside of Quebec.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2023, 1:05 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Now, I wonder whether most are true environmentalists or simply using Green as a protest vote.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2023, 9:44 PM
It's Hammer Time

Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie elected Ontario Liberal leader
Crombie had been perceived front-runner throughout the race

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ader-1.7047338

Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie finally reached the threshold of votes needed to become the next Ontario Liberal Party leader late Saturday afternoon, after the party released the results of a third and final round of balloting.

The crowd in downtown Toronto erupted in cheers and chanted "Bonnie! Bonnie! Bonnie!" after the victory was announced. You can watch Crombie's victory speech live in the player above.

Crombie, the perceived front-runner throughout the race, will now lead the party in its fight to defeat Premier Doug Ford and regain official party status after a disastrous 2022 election that saw the party win just eight seats and leader Steven Del Duca step down after just two years on the job.

"There is no question, being an Ontario Liberal is back," Crombie said in her victory speech. "Thank you for taking a spark and turning it into a big red flame here today."

Crombie won on the third round of ranked ballot voting after leading the first round and second round, but falling short of the 50 per cent threshold needed to win.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2023, 6:23 PM
Ham-burgher

It'll take a lot for any party to unseat the PCs in the next election.

Stiles' NDP feels like it's just treading water.

And if the Crombie Liberals can show growth, that may be good enough until the election after the next one. The party under Del Duca regressed... I'm not sure they could get any smaller, but if there's no positive movement in 2026 we may see another competition for leader following that.

Still, I think Crombie has got the moxie to give Ford some anxious moments.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario