HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:29 PM

Stadium's looking pretty sharp!

Anybody know if they're going to paint the concrete wall around the field? Or putting up padding or something? I think it'd finish it off and make everything really pop!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:35 PM

Well since this is turning into a Bomber vs Rider forum for a while (till the mods come back) GO RIDERS GO and yes watermelons are always required!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Stadium's looking pretty sharp!

Anybody know if they're going to paint the concrete wall around the field? Or putting up padding or something? I think it'd finish it off and make everything really pop!
Banners or pads OK, but ugh, I sure hope they don't paint the concrete wall. It doesn't take long for the colour to fade or deteriorate and it looks very ghetto. For some reason Winnipeg Enterprises just couldn't resist painting bare cement at the Winnipeg Arena and Stadium a variety of gaudy colours... I hope the Bombers leave this place alone.

Edmonton has had an unpainted surface since 1978 and it looks far more polished and professional than what we had with the old stadium.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Banners or pads OK, but ugh, I sure hope they don't paint the concrete wall. It doesn't take long for the colour to fade or deteriorate and it looks very ghetto. For some reason Winnipeg Enterprises just couldn't resist painting bare cement at the Winnipeg Arena and Stadium a variety of gaudy colours... I hope the Bombers leave this place alone.

Edmonton has had an unpainted surface since 1978 and it looks far more polished and professional than what we had with the old stadium.
But, but, but they paint concrete all over Latin America and Africa!

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:20 PM
ARTchitecture

It's looking awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archiseek View Post
if your son is a twenty-something young woman, then yes he did....

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
But, but, but they paint concrete all over Latin America and Africa!
That's exactly why CanadInns Stadium looked like something you would expect to see a Uruguayan second division team playing in.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:34 PM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Ray Wan did this. Ray, you make great stadiums....I mean stadium.
bowl & concept was designed by HOK....ray made the roof wiggly and did the exterior doo dads.

construction drawings done in a place that rhymes with a part of the female anatomy.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
bowl & concept was designed by HOK....ray made the roof wiggly and did the exterior doo dads.

construction drawings done in a place that rhymes with a part of the female anatomy.
Saskatoon?

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah, true. I was just looking at some photos of the rookie practice and the wall in the background looked kind of ugly. It had what looked like the concrete sealant dripping all down the wall. Or maybe it was just dust and rain water, I don't know. But yeah, that's why I mentioned paint OR something else! lol

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
saskatoon?:p

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 7:52 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Mulva? Deloris?

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Funny that there is no mention of any of this on the HOK website. The publicity materials for the project didn't reference HOK's involvement to my recollection either. They always just mentioned Raymond Wan.

Given HOK's stature in the stadium design business you'd think the "Project 85" team would have trumpeted their involvement... it would have been an impressive selling point, not that it matters that much anymore.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Mulva? Deloris?
As many times as I've seen the reruns. Gotta love Seinfeld! Still sitting on the fence for season tickets. biggest concern is how the traffic will play out.
They should at least add diamond lanes untill phase 2 of the SWRT get built.
By that, I mean constructing new lanes in and out, not take away from the existing lanes.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:53 AM

IGF field

I think the rows of the stadium and walls on sideline should be painted gold! The Bombers and Bisons are the blue and gold and black and gold respectively and besides the last couple of rows in upper level , the stadium could be home to the Argos! I also liked the blue endzones at Canad Inns kinda made it feel more home of the BLUE Bombers, just my opinion guys

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 4:59 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Funny that there is no mention of any of this on the HOK website. The publicity materials for the project didn't reference HOK's involvement to my recollection either. They always just mentioned Raymond Wan.

Given HOK's stature in the stadium design business you'd think the "Project 85" team would have trumpeted their involvement... it would have been an impressive selling point, not that it matters that much anymore.
as I was told by people involved with the project, HOK did the bowl design and detailing for the polo park site....they were 'let go' when the project was moved and wan took the design and completed the exterior, changed the roof from cool to goofy etc.

which is why they are not mentioned and it is not on their web site.

they were mentioned in the original press releases.

http://www.winnipegfirst.ca/~media/P...ower_Point.pdf

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:06 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Mulva? Deloris?
saint kitts

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 5:14 AM

ahh I was gonna say Libya!

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:06 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:

Thanks for digging that up. I knew they were involved at some time but i couldn't find the documents.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:30 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

The roof is leaking in the ticket office.

Old Posted May 31, 2013, 1:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks for that...I forgot about HOK's involvement.

Looking back at that early proposal, it's interesting to see how the stadium design evolved. The arches that were built are probably less iconic than the ones in the initial proposal, but the latter probably would have cast all sorts of weird shadows and would have probably been quite a bit more expensive so I can appreciate why they were changed.

Also, the early designs called for a single-tier stadium. Considering the relatively small size of the place a single tier could have worked, but switching to a two-tier configuration certainly brings the skyboxes and the upper seats closer to the action.

Interestingly, the first real bit of criticism regarding stadium design has surfaced: the Sun's Paul Friesen slammed the small and (according to him) poorly located press box.

It did strike me as a bit odd that the press box was shunted off to the side the way it was... I would have expected two levels of boxes which would have created more room for a bigger press box at centre field on one of the levels. It will be interesting to see if this causes any problems for the Bombers with future Grey Cup bids. The press box situation at MTS Centre had a relatively easy fix, but there doesn't seem to be such an obvious solution for the stadium if they ever want to enlarge the press box.

Friesen's column: http://www.winnipegsun.com/2013/05/3...t-grey-cup-bid

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan