HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 6:09 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sorry, I have studied Latin.
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 7:29 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
the Provincial Bank Building next door to McSweeney's, which used to house a Burger King, has been purchased and plans are in the works to renovate it as well.
Well thats good news

I always wondered why somebody didnt renovate Higgins Block into lofts or something...it would really clean up that building.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
Operor vos reputo quisquam in Sanctus Ioannes "thread" teneo latina?

Old Posted Oct 9, 2008, 8:36 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
Operor vos reputo quisquam in Sanctus Ioannes "thread" teneo latina?
I have no idea what that means. Haha.

The only thing in latin i do know is 'anything said in latin sounds profound'.

I used to know how to say 'My, what a large catapult.' but sadly, that didn't survive the excessive drinking of first year university.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 12:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

I used to know how to say 'My, what a large catapult.' but sadly, that didn't survive the excessive drinking of first year university.

I said that I had studied Latin, I didn't say that I was any good at it.

What I had tried to say was "Do you think anyone on the Saint John thread understands Latin?"

The only Latin I know now pertains to medicine and anatomy.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 1:01 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:

My, what a large catapult = Meus , quis a amplus ballista

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 3:03 AM
Our Tide is Rising

You guys and your ancient languages haha

On a positive note the city finally updated the tourism web site to match the municipal web site...It looks really nice (million times better than before)

http://tourism.moncton.ca/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 2:44 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Metro centre gets key support
Published Friday October 10th, 2008

Metro candidates say federal parties back drive for downtown entertainment and convention centre complex
A1
BY ALAN COCHRANE
TIMES & TRANSCRIPT STAFF

With all the jostling for position in the final stretch of this federal election race, the big winners could be the citizens of Metro Moncton who want a new downtown convention and entertainment centre.

Earlier this week, Premier Shawn Graham told the Times & Transcript he was firmly committed to a metro centre and would do whatever it takes to get the project done. The centre is one of the priorities for the new council under Mayor George LeBlanc, and now both the Liberal and Conservative candidates in Tuesday's federal election claim to have their party's support for the project.

Yesterday, Conservative candidate Daniel Allain continued his campaign by waving a letter from Greg Thompson, Regional Minister for New Brunswick indicating that a new government under Stephen Harper would support a metro centre for Moncton.

In the letter, Thompson said the government understands "that a multi-use

Metro Centre in Moncton is key to the continued growth of the downtown business area and that it has the potential to produce substantial job growth and new revenue for the entire riding."

Minister Thompson said in his letter that Allain proved to be a strong, persuasive voice in lobbying the Conservative government to support the project.

"You kept us well informed on the importance of this project for the Moncton region, and its economic benefits for that area," stated Thompson.

According to the City Think exercise conducted by the Times & Transcript and Omnifacts Bristol, 89 per cent of people surveyed indicated that they are in favour of building an arena complex in downtown Moncton. In a meeting with the Times & Transcript editorial board this week, Premier Shawn Graham said the provincial government wants to help Moncton become the entertainment and cultural centre of Atlantic Canada and providing assistance for the metro centre would be part of that plan.

Moncton Liberal MP Brian Murphy said it is nice the Conservatives finally woke up to the convention centre idea with only a few days left in the campaign.

Murphy said he has already consulted with Graham and LeBlanc and on Saturday received a commitment from federal Liberal leader Stéphane Dion that money from a $90-billion infrastructure fund could be used to help fund the Moncton metro centre.

Murphy said the Tories are simply playing catch-up.

"I'm happy that we had that kind of effect on the Conservatives. Until we get a Liberal government, this is the way we'll have to get things done."

Ian Fowler, the city's general manager of recreation, parks, tourism and culture, is delighted to see both the federal and provincial governments so dedicated to the project. The city will soon put out a Request for Proposals for the basic plans and scope of a proposed metro centre. It will likely be a 15,000 to 20,000-seat facility with at least one ice surface and space for retail shops and services, and possibly be linked to a convention centre. The location has not been finalized, but there are several areas downtown that would be suitable. The centre would not replace the existing Moncton Coliseum and Agrena complex, which has a seating capacity of 5,000 to 7,000 for hockey games and concerts, plus extensive convention and trade show space.

Fowler said the city would have to meet with potential clients to hear their concerns, hopes and dreams for a stadium. Several concert promoters have already discussed the idea with the city, saying that another venue would help Metro Moncton draw in more shows.

Meanwhile, Allain announced that within 90 days of being elected he would convene a Community Development Summit, in an effort to develop a prioritized community development plan for the region.

He said the three communities of Moncton, Riverview and Dieppe all have their own priorities for development and he feels bringing all involved parties to the table will help make sure the money pie is evenly divided.

Allain said the economic development summit would follow up on a similar exercise held in 2004 during which priorities included a new bridge across the Petitcodiac, a new terminal for the Greater Moncton International Airport and the metro centre for downtown.

Some other future capital projects include the trunk sewer for Riverview, an arts and culture centre for Dieppe, road work, help for the ballet and a third crossing for the Petitcodiac River from the traffic circle near Champlain Place across the marsh to the Point Park area of Riverview.

Allain wants to work with former Progressive Conservative Premier Bernard Lord and former federal Liberal cabinet minister, Claudette Bradshaw, who have previously co-chaired similar meetings in the region.

"I want to bring our three mayors to the table along with community leaders, non-profits, economic development agencies and of course the provincial government," said Allain. "By coming together we can develop a prioritized community development plan that will address the Petitcodiac River, RCMP costs, the Peace and Justice Centre, as well as other community projects on the region's agenda," Allain said.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 4:16 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Federal Tories commit to Metro Centre for Downtown Moncton as election nears
October 10, 2008 - 6:06 am
By: News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - The Conservative candidate for the riding of Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe says his government has committed to partnering on a downtown metro centre for Greater Moncton

Daniel Allain says he received a letter from Greg Thompson, the regional minister for New Brunswick, indicating that a new government under Stephen Harper would support a metro centre for Moncton.

"I am pleased to inform you that as Regional Minister, I am fully committed
to helping you see this project through," stated Thompson. "We understand
that a multi-use Metro Centre in Moncton is key to the continued growth of
the downtown business area and that it has the potential to produce
substantial job growth and new revenue for the entire riding."
ccording to the City Think exercise conducted by the Times & Transcript and
Omnifacts Bristol, 89 percent of people surveyed indicated that they are in
favour of building an arena complex in downtown Moncton.
Meanwhile, the riding's Liberal MP, Brian Murphy says he's pleased the Tories have committed to a metro centre, although they're a little late on such a promise.

I call total bullshit on this one. They said exactly the same thing about the Petitcodiac river restoration project during the 2006 election, and changed their position as soon as they won. Why would they support the construction of an entertainment venue in a mid-sized city, in a region of the country they already don't give to shakes about?

Unless they strike oil under Highfield Square, I don't think this commitment will go anywhere.

...end of rant.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:04 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Federal Tories commit to Metro Centre for Downtown Moncton as election nears
October 10, 2008 - 6:06 am
By: News 91.9 Staff

MONCTON, NB - The Conservative candidate for the riding of Moncton-Riverview-Dieppe says his government has committed to partnering on a downtown metro centre for Greater Moncton

Daniel Allain says he received a letter from Greg Thompson, the regional minister for New Brunswick, indicating that a new government under Stephen Harper would support a metro centre for Moncton.

"I am pleased to inform you that as Regional Minister, I am fully committed
to helping you see this project through," stated Thompson. "We understand
that a multi-use Metro Centre in Moncton is key to the continued growth of
the downtown business area and that it has the potential to produce
substantial job growth and new revenue for the entire riding."
ccording to the City Think exercise conducted by the Times & Transcript and
Omnifacts Bristol, 89 percent of people surveyed indicated that they are in
favour of building an arena complex in downtown Moncton.
Meanwhile, the riding's Liberal MP, Brian Murphy says he's pleased the Tories have committed to a metro centre, although they're a little late on such a promise.

I call total bullshit on this one. They said exactly the same thing about the Petitcodiac river restoration project during the 2006 election, and changed their position as soon as they won. Why would they support the construction of an entertainment venue in a mid-sized city, in a region of the country they already don't give to shakes about?

Unless they strike oil under Highfield Square, I don't think this commitment will go anywhere.

...end of rant.

I also take this commitment with a grain of salt but at least they have made a statement on the record that we can embarrass them about in the years to come.

I think the major threat to any major project like this for the time being will be the global economic meltdown. I'm sure that governments at all levels will be more concerned about their bottom lines rather than a new Metro Centre for Moncton.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:29 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

On a more positive note.....

They are starting to put up the structural steel for the new federal office building on Weldon Street.

Also, there are now stakes in the ground at the corner of Main and Vaughn Harvey where Ashford Developments plans to build a new office building.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:36 PM

A 15,000 to 20,000 seat arena really! for a city with 130,000 people seems a bit much.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
A 15,000 to 20,000 seat arena really! for a city with 130,000 people seems a bit much.
If built, I imagine that the new arena would more likely be in the 12-15,000 seat range. This would make it similar in size to the proposed arena to replace the current Metro Centre in Halifax (and a little larger than the current Halifax Metro Centre and Saint John Harbour Station). That would seem to be a more appropriate size.

What you have here is typical Times & Transcript hyperbole.

Don't forget though that our new track & field stadium will have 20,000 seats.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 9:09 PM

Quote:
If built, I imagine that the new arena would more likely be in the 12-15,000 seat range. This would make it similar in size to the proposed arena to replace the current Metro Centre in Halifax (and a little larger than the current Halifax Metro Centre and Saint John Harbour Station). That would seem to be a more appropriate size.

What you have here is typical Times & Transcript hyperbole.

Don't forget though that our new track & field stadium will have 20,000 seats.

That makes more sense.

Another thing...why are they calling it a Metro Centre.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 9:18 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Quote:
That makes more sense.

Another thing...why are they calling it a Metro Centre.
Because the Transcript, while very creative with numbers, has no imagination when it comes to names.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:02 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to the Sleuth in the Times & Transcript today, Swedish multinational retailer H&M will be opening a clothing department store in Champlain Place. H&M currently has 37 stores in Canada, all in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and B.C. This will be their first outlet in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:31 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
According to the Sleuth in the Times & Transcript today, Swedish multinational retailer H&M will be opening a clothing department store in Champlain Place. H&M currently has 37 stores in Canada, all in Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and B.C. This will be their first outlet in Atlantic Canada.
Sweet! That doesnt happen very often. Usually we get Halis seconds haha

I wonder where they would go? RW&COs former space (now that they moved down the hall haha) Or maybe the Disney Stores former place. They have been working on that spot for a month or so now.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 6:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post

I wonder where they would go? RW&COs former space (now that they moved down the hall haha) Or maybe the Disney Stores former place. They have been working on that spot for a month or so now.
I'm not sure which location will be the first, but there are also rumours of it coming to Halifax though I'm not sure where exactly. I heard Mic Mac Mall but I also heard downtown.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 9:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post

According to that reputable source "The Sleuth", H&M will be located down on the Sobey's wing of the mall, occupying the space of the former "Brass Decor" and "Fairweather". Presumably Fairweather will be moving elsewhere in the mall, there is a lot of activity going on in the mall right now which is not related to the general renovations.

BTW Matt, Tabi moved into the former RW&Co location. The stores are all shuffling about. I think the general mall renovations are giving some stores the impetus to move to new locations in the mall and to renovate themselves.

Last edited by MonctonRad; Oct 11, 2008 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 10:33 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
I'm not sure which location will be the first, but there are also rumours of it coming to Halifax though I'm not sure where exactly. I heard Mic Mac Mall but I also heard downtown.
I actually believe its already being worked on in mic mac. The area where its to go is boarded off and if I remember correctly (but Im not sure) it has H&M posters up outside of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces