HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Sep 4, 2007, 9:00 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
New pic of the Grand Hyatt from Market Street...looking good from this view

Taken by arellis49 @ Flickr
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1243/...1e12c5e600.jpg

I absolutely love the density of downtown when driving east on Market St. It's amazing.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2007, 8:22 PM

I found this article on the internet. It's a year old but gives some hope that an AT&T tower might be in the future.

• Real Estate Experts Anticipate AT&T and BellSouth Merger Will Generate Need in San Antonio
Monday, March 13 2006 @ 06:56 PM Central Standard Time

AT&T announced that they plan to acquire BellSouth Corporation. The deal is valued at $67 billion. The deal, according to Real Estate professionals, could bolster the market in San Antonio for more commercial space. The optimism is cautious, at this time. It’s too early to tell if it will bring new employees to the area.

AT&T spokesman Walt Sharp said, “It is too early to say anything.” This was in response to questions about expanding need for new space in downtown.

It is estimated that the merger would take a year to complete, once all the regulations are met. Still, given the presence in San Antonio, the outlook is good, real estate insiders say.

"I don't think anything is automatic just because of a merger," explained Kim Gatley, director of research for REOC Partners Ltd. "But it is reasonable to assume that, given AT&T's presence here, we'll see some expansion -- to what degree, I don't know yet."

If AT&T should begin needing more space, such a move could lead to the corporation building its own campus.

"There's always been noise to that effect," said REOC Senior Vice President Brian Harris.

The ‘noise’ however, hasn’t come from AT&T, it’s coming from the realtors.."I don't know anything of plans along those points," explained Sharp.

"The campus rumor, that's all it's been," Gatley explained. "I've never heard anything from anybody with decision-making clout talk about a campus or development. It's been speculation on everyone else's part. They enjoy being a downtown tenant. I can't point to any indicators that they would (move out of downtown)."

AT&T Chairman and CEO Ed Whitacre has always been commited to downtown, said Albert McNeel. McNeel is a vice president of the local office of Trammell Crow Co.

McNeel pointed out, that the trend has been for AT&T to return space to the market, rather than new leases. He said, ” Who knows what the fall-out will be?"

AT&T is a big player on the market. They occupy much of the IBC Centre building, where they are headquartered.

AT&T and its employees occupy about 2 million square feet of space throughout the city. "Any major city is glad to have a major anchor, and San Antonio is fortunate to have them," said Gatley. "The merger only stands to benefit San Antonio."

"With this being the headquarters, the duplicated positions will likely be folded into San Antonio," Gatley explained.

There is cause for concern as well. The last time AT&T vamped down their leased space, it was a blow to the local market.

"They are such a major player, if they contract or expand, the market tends to feel that," said Gatley.

San Antonio's tenant base is more diverse than in the past. The city may see new major financial institutions such as Washington Mutual and World Savings..

Whitacre has announced his plan to stay on as the head of AT&T until 2008. He’s not expected to leave San Antonio. "He likes being the big fish in a small pond," McNeel reported.. "Now, he's the biggest fish."

Patricia Fuller
Real Estate Press

http://www.turks.us/article.php?story=20060313185634872

Old Posted Sep 12, 2007, 12:39 AM

Drove downtown today and they are currently working on floor 31 of the Grand Hyatt. 4 more floors to go.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2007, 7:16 PM

Alright, I take back what I said about it not covering up the Marriott Rivercenter.

Last edited by ydoc14; Sep 15, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2007, 9:09 PM

Here's an angle of the Grand Hyatt we haven't seen before. Not bad...

Taken on 9/14 by Amy the Nurse @ Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/amyashcraft/1388110409/

Old Posted Sep 17, 2007, 2:23 PM
SA 24th largest city

this building is hideous. lookslike a huge, cheap dorm tower.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 4:58 AM
SA 24th largest city

these were taken 9/17/07 from the 37N/ Florida/ Carolina exit.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 5:35 AM

Great pics maxus, thanks

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxus View Post

I really like the first one.

I must say, I strongly disagree with your assumption San Antonio is the 29th largest city. I know there is a great deal of chatter on this site and others about metros being the real indicator of a city’s size. I think that is pure B.S. Here is my reasoning. First, take Atlanta or any other large metro area (DFW/Houston/San Antonio/Austin in our case) individuals chose to live in Decatur, Duluth, Marietta, or other areas in the Atlanta Metro area for a reason. I am sure those people do not go around saying they are from Atlanta; the same way people from Plano do not say they are from Dallas. These areas are there own municipalities, have their own vibe, and are in most ways not dependant on the main city in the area.

I live in Houston and I hear people all the time say there are from West U., Bellaire, Katy, or some other independent city. If people say they are not from somewhere why do some insist on trying to redefine established guidelines and principles to force them into a box. The same can be said for the city governments, I am sure the mayor and city councils of these independent municipalities do not see themselves as anything other than what is listing on their charters.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 2:37 PM
Endless Moments...

Here we go again. Hmm, those are kewl pics, thanx you ever so much for putting them up. "Dorm" that is a new one, i never thought of it that way.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 4:10 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post

I must say, I strongly disagree with your assumption San Antonio is the 29th largest city. I know there is a great deal of chatter on this site and others about metros being the real indicator of a city’s size. I think that is pure B.S. Here is my reasoning. First, take Atlanta or any other large metro area (DFW/Houston/San Antonio/Austin in our case) individuals chose to live in Decatur, Duluth, Marietta, or other areas in the Atlanta Metro area for a reason. I am sure those people do not go around saying they are from Atlanta; the same way people from Plano do not say they are from Dallas. These areas are there own municipalities, have their own vibe, and are in most ways not dependant on the main city in the area.

I live in Houston and I hear people all the time say there are from West U., Bellaire, Katy, or some other independent city. If people say they are not from somewhere why do some insist on trying to redefine established guidelines and principles to force them into a box. The same can be said for the city governments, I am sure the mayor and city councils of these independent municipalities do not see themselves as anything other than what is listing on their charters.
I got this one... If someone comes to New York and says they're from West U., Bellaire or Katy, people will resond, "Where?" Then they'll answer back, "Houston." Then the person will say, "Oh, OK. Houston."

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:13 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertz1 View Post

Yes, Shertz1. You are correct in saying that throughout any metro area other municipalities may have there own independent vibe- Say, Alamo Heights within San Antonio. But on the whole, if I were a visitor I would not consider the smaller communities as totally separate. They are part of the entire urbanized area and that is why I call SA the 29th largest. San Francisco (municipal) has less than half as many people is S.A. but if I were visiting in in and around S.F. the urban area spreads out much farther than in S.A. That is why S.F. is really the 5th or 6th largest city and S.A. is the 29th. This is not B.S. Urbanized area, baby, Urbanized area!

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, Shertz1. You are correct in saying that throughout any metro area other municipalities may have there own independent vibe- Say, Alamo Heights within San Antonio. But on the whole, if I were a visitor I would not consider the smaller communities as totally separate. They are part of the entire urbanized area and that is why I call SA the 29th largest. San Francisco (municipal) has less than half as many people is S.A. but if I were visiting in in and around S.F. the urban area spreads out much farther than in S.A. That is why S.F. is really the 5th or 6th largest city and S.A. is the 29th. This is not B.S. Urbanized area, baby, Urbanized area!

San Antonio is the 27th largest metro area and is moving up in the rankings.San Antonio is the 7th largest city proper and urbanized area it is 20 something i'm sure.You need to change your signature and say 29th urbanized area or whatever.It is not the 29th largest city.This is misleading.San Francisco urbanized area includes the entire bay area,San Jose,Oakland etc and beyond.Actually San Jose is the biggest city in the bay area so Technically it should come before San Francisco as the primary city of the area.Even though it will never be seen that way.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 7:53 PM

I will say-and leave it at that-there are currently terms to describe, pretty much, every thing we talk about on this forum. We do ourselves a huge disservice by manipulating the facts, as it usually creates a great deal of problems. All I am saying is, if you mean city, then say city, but if you mean metro or urban area then say so. Lets not distort the truth.

I also get the point of West U. being encompassed by Houston and many people may not be familiar with the city outside of Texas. So, if someone uses a well known reference point (Houston) to give someone an idea of its ( West U.) location, it should really be just that, a point of reference. For example, someone comes to Texas from White Plains, Elizabeth, or Stamford and the locals ask, where is that. If they are told NYC, it is only a point of reference.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 4:12 PM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:

Seems to be about as tall and ugly as the Marriott.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 5:30 AM
Meh

Thanks for the updates, you guys.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:22 AM

Hey maxus, just wondering...based on your comment about the Grand Hyatt looking like a dorm and your new user title...do you not like your city very much lol?

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 6:04 PM
SA 24th largest city

Quote:
Originally Posted by ydoc14 View Post
Hey maxus, just wondering...based on your comment about the Grand Hyatt looking like a dorm and your new user title...do you not like your city very much lol?
Quite the contrary, YDOC14. I love it here.

It's just that asthetically, this new tower has very little appeal. It seems that when using the term Grand as in Grand Hyatt, you would expect some greater visual attraction. Of course the building is incomplete so I may be jumping the gun but it reminds me of the tower near the UT campus in Austin located at San Antonio St. and 24th one block west of Guadalupe. I believe that building is a dorm or apartments. Anyway, it looks like it was built on the cheap. Unoriginal and bland- so far.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 8:01 PM
SA 24th largest city

Hello Paul in SA,

For most people a city is virtually the same as the metropolitan area. Within this forum we can be very specific as we all know the difference DOES make a difference. So for leighmans terms we'll just say S.A. is the 27th largest city.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2007, 8:59 PM

How about we just say there are a lot more urbanized/populated areas around the country than SA?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio