HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:35 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
What’s this about a pool in UC along the river?

https://www.instagram.com/p/C564___p...N5aXA0YWZid3Fo
It's hard to tell from the photo, but would that colorful wall blocking 76 be permanent? If so, that is my favorite feature. A permanent plant wall or art wall would provide nicer views from the East and actually a little bit of noise control.

And amen to your recent posts. People in Philly get their panties in a knot over every new project. Even the new tower proposal 1-block from Rittenhouse Square spawned the same tired online comments...

Last edited by PHLtoNYC; Apr 19, 2024 at 12:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
It's hard to tell from the photo, but would that colorful wall blocking 76 be permanent? If so, that is my favorite feature. A permanent plant wall or art wall would provide nicer views from the East and actually a little bit of noise control.

And amen to your recent posts. People in Philly get their panties in a knot over every new project. Even the new tower proposal 1-block from Rittenhouse Square spawned the same tired online comments...
I love that feature too; camouflaging 676 is key, and if they can do it with art, plants, and soundproofing it’s a win. In general, I’m excited to see creative ideas for bringing the west side of the river to life to better connect UC to CC.

Appreciate the support. I’m definitely over the constant negative trolling to every idea that are accompanied by endless what-aboutism excuses. If those people think there are better ways to spend funds, then I welcome to see their proposals, and if they don’t have viable ones then I’m tuning them out and focusing forward.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 1:50 PM

I love the pool/park idea -- I think it's radical/non-Philly thinking. Reality being what it is in this town, I hope they have an ironclad security & trash removal plan in mind, so the park can be enjoyed in peace. When I see the state of Devil's Pool in the Wissahickon, I am astounded at how callous and disgusting Philadelphians can be with the wonderful resources at our fingertips.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:21 PM

The path in Chicago is great - wondering why we can't have a path + the park. Seems like a no-brainer that they would connect -- with the park being a major stop on the path. Maybe farther down there could be a small stage for concerts/busking. Also, what makes Chicago's path successful is that there are shops/cafes and restaurants.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 1:33 PM

A path on that side would probably cost tens of millions per block segment given that, as this UCD proposal shows, you're up against 76 and having to spend huge amounts of money to wall it off or otherwise make it disappear. If you wanted the path to be below street level, akin to where the pool area is shown, then again you are requiring enormous feats of engineering to essentially hang a platform and path off of the existing structures. A far cry from taking some underutilized rail ROW and beautifying it, which is what they did on the east side (yes, they added bulkheads and did a lot of infill to make it work, but it's still orders of magnitude cheaper than attempting to mimic it on the west side).

There's nothing inherent to their proposal that precludes eventual connectivity to other sections (it is two levels, so maybe the top level continues to the north but the pool level doesn't, or vice versa). Either way, I think the idea is maximum impact at a maximally accessible and visible location. If you walk the Chicago riverwalk, there are some sections that are very complicated with boat launches or waterside restaurants or other more expensive infrastructure, and then some stretches that are just a path. And a boat launch in Chicago is a good example of something that only operates in nice weather (which in CHI is scarcer than it is here). Arguing against the pool is sort of like saying Dilworth shouldn't have an ice rink because it isn't constantly winter here. If you have a budget for programming, then the pool can be decked over and used as any number of other things in the off season.

TL;DR: I honestly doubt this will come to fruition, but applaud the very unPhiladelphian ambition of it. We deserve nice things, even impractical ones.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 4:55 PM

It seems like we could have both the promenade and pool. The promenade makes more sense at deck level because of the highway i think. And it would tie into the whole "bluffs" idea of the station district overbuild. Chicago has a very beautiful promenade but we have a different built environment. The Schuylkill river trail has been a huge success and is always packed. I wish csx would give up those tracks and we could expand the trail and tie it in better to the surrounding neighborhoods and encourage development. There's a potential for better interaction with the east side of the river because you don't have the highway and tacks separating the surrounding residential area. At least until the overbuild happens, which is a long way off. Really looking forward to the parkway redesign which should create a better pedestrian experience and tie into the trail as well as the expansion to Bartram's garden.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2024, 9:25 PM

ELECTION ALERT: Please vote NO on the ballot question tomorrow. It is development related and would give RCOs much more power to block development.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
ELECTION ALERT: Please vote NO on the ballot question tomorrow. It is development related and would give RCOs much more power to block development.
I saw that this morning. I didn't know about the ballot question, but I immediately slammed that "NO" button when I read it! The last thing this city needs is giving RCOs even more power, especially with additional taxpayer dollars.

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
Is that a city or state thing? Because I'm both in Delco and a registered independent and I didn't think there was anything for me to do today.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
Is that a city or state thing? Because I'm both in Delco and a registered independent and I didn't think there was anything for me to do today.
City

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:35 PM
Chris

Interesting updates about the luxury real estate market in the city.

This Philly penthouse can be yours for $26 million, or $25,000 a month
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20240423.html

Agents whose job it is to sell the city’s multimillion-dollar penthouses said that after a lackluster 2023, Philadelphia’s high-end luxury market in the first few months of 2024 has been strong.

“The activity level this year is considerably greater,” said Andrea Desy Edrei, operating partner at the local brokerage for New York-based SERHANT. “It gives us some optimism.”

The luxury market “has been gradually coming back up,” said Douglas Pearson, a real estate agent and principal at Kurfiss Sotheby’s International Realty who specializes in high-end homes.

He thinks “there’s a new feeling of positivity” toward the city because of the new mayoral administration. That’s in addition to the enduring draws of the city’s restaurants, arts and entertainment, history, and diversity of neighborhoods. Philadelphia’s universities and health-care institutions attract lots of luxury buyers.

A penthouse of raw space spanning the 46th floor of the Residences at the Ritz-Carlton that was originally listed for $15 million was divided into three homes, so they could be offered at lower prices. Two of them “immediately” sold late last year for more than $4 million each, Bolaris said.

“You’d be surprised how many people are looking at them,” Pearson said last Tuesday. “We have seen a significant increase in demand over the last 60 days.”

They come from a variety of places, including in and around the city and the usual places such as New York. But Desy Edrei said she’s also seeing inquiries from places that traditionally weren’t feeder markets for Philadelphia, such as Texas and the Midwest.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:49 PM

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK2001 View Post

^^^Awesome!

Thanks for the updates here and for the rest of the projects TK!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:47 PM
build awesome buildings

Agreed, awesome updates per usual, TK!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
Agreed, awesome updates per usual, TK!
Feels like Christmas morning when a new set of pics drops

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:59 PM

20240423_093804 by , on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 5:54 PM

Center City Retail Update

Express is closing its Fashion District Outlet store, its Walnut Street "Edit" store, and the Walnut Street Bonobos store as part of its bankruptcy proceedings.

https://www.inquirer.com/business/re...-20240424.html

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post
Express is closing its Fashion District Outlet store, its Walnut Street "Edit" store, and the Walnut Street Bonobos store as part of its bankruptcy proceedings.

Oh dang, didn't realize Bonobos was going down with Express.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 3:12 AM
Creative Ambitions

VTV03167 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03166 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03165 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03164 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03163 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03162 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03161 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03160 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03157 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03154 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03153 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03152 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03149 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03145 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03143 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03142 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03141 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03140 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03139 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03137 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03136 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03133 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03132 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03130 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03128 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03126 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03125 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03123 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03120 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03119 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03118 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03114 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03109 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03106 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03104 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03103 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03102 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03101 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03099 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03098 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

VTV03097 by Tony Valuez, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 25, 2024, 12:41 PM
Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLJD13 View Post

Allbirds is also closing. Appears to be part of a larger brand problem, but the Philly location usually gets the ax first.

^ And great pictures everyone. Someone needs to produce a coffee table book!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development