HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 1:43 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

With the relatively limited amount of rail traffic on that line, there's no reason why you couldn't have at-grade crossings for ramps to connect a Botsford overpass with ramps that meet Church then drop to Wheeler.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
With the relatively limited amount of rail traffic on that line, there's no reason why you couldn't have at-grade crossings for ramps to connect a Botsford overpass with ramps that meet Church then drop to Wheeler.
You are probably right, not ideal, but thats the only other solution.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 4:34 AM

Here is what I was thinking for some ideas:

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
Good use of the existing roadway. I think however that the Elmwood offramps are overkill, especially given the new interchange nearby at Botsford. Also, the proximity of the westbound Main street exit and the Paul street onramp would mean some mighty fast merging.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:17 PM

I put the Elmeood ramps in before I thought of the other one and on paint you can't earase them. I just figured it would show some options. Would the botsford overpass work if it was done like that do you think? Also there would probably be more space there at the Paul steer ramp. Really tho, there is not much room as it is currently haha.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Nice plan Josh, although that is a pretty severe hook there where Botsford meets Wheeler!

If the province were willing to cough up the kind of money that the One Mile House interchange in Saint John cost, I'm sure that some innovative solutions to replacing the Hall's Creek traffic circle and the Botsford/Wheeler intersection could be found. Apparently One Mile House is costing the NB taxpayers $75M!!

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 3:24 PM

Well with route 1 & 2 all twinned now, we might see some money invested in it. Both traffic circles and that intersection honestly are the only rough areas in the city. I think if they were fixed properly it actually might take some stress off Paul street.

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Nov 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 10:06 PM

When is that new Kent supposed to open?
Also, here is an update after relooking at my plan based on your reactions:

Also here is the original plan for wheeler that I found: Notice it also say proposed Vaughan Harvey Blvd and how wide the river was. I believe it was from 1979.

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Nov 27, 2013 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 11:21 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

Where did that scanned map come from? That's really neat!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 12:21 AM

The issue of the Botsford / Wheeler intersection has been looked at extensively I've been told. I recently graduated from U de M in Civil engineering. One of our class was on road design and we discussed this intersection in length.

Although the above map looks like a good concept, it wold not meet the DOT regulation on road design. You have to keep in mind that offramps, turns... are all regulated by DOT to allow for 18 wheeler's to turn and manipulate effectively, with a safety margin.

I was told by our teacher (He also owns a local engineering firm that specialize in road design) that the only way to eliminate the traffic light would be to do a strait overpass, meaning no off-ramp to get on Botsford from Wheeler. This is because of the vary close proximity of the train overpass.

The city would not go for a strait overpass, since it would block off key business (Taylor Ford, Auto glass...) and the fire station access to a key artery in the city.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
Where did that scanned map come from? That's really neat!
I was given a map of Moncton and I took a picture of it.

Thats too bad about the Botsford intersection tho. What options did you discuss in your class? What do you think of my other plans?

Last edited by josh_cat_eyes; Nov 28, 2013 at 3:19 AM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I was given a map of Moncton and I took a picture of it.

Thats too bad about the Botsford intersection tho. What options did you discuss in your class? What do you think of my other plans?
Similar to Church close by, Botsford would go right over Wheller, but that wouldn't work here.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 2:33 AM

Got an e-mail that the Harrisville Kent is having a "pre-opening" contractors showing on December 12th, should be opening right after for the public.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:38 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berge View Post
Got an e-mail that the Harrisville Kent is having a "pre-opening" contractors showing on December 12th, should be opening right after for the public.
Good stuff. Now we can start to speculate on what else will be built on Harrisville next year. Sobey's anyone?

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good stuff. Now we can start to speculate on what else will be built on Harrisville next year. Sobey's anyone?
And speculated on what will happen with Champlain Phase 2. Because when the new Kent opens, the old one closes and thus, phase 2 can begin.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 8:14 PM
I have no Title

Quote:
When is that new Kent supposed to open?
Also, here is an update after relooking at my plan based on your reactions:

Also here is the original plan for wheeler that I found: Notice it also say proposed Vaughan Harvey Blvd and how wide the river was. I believe it was from 1979.
Honestly I think the off ramp coming from shediac should go around the best western motel and meet up with the old shediac road set of lights, also an on ramp here. This would make INCREDIBLE sense and remove the current off and on ramps that are horribly placed (near comfort inn).

Old Posted Nov 29, 2013, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
Honestly I think the off ramp coming from shediac should go around the best western motel and meet up with the old shediac road set of lights, also an on ramp here. This would make INCREDIBLE sense and remove the current off and on ramps that are horribly placed (near comfort inn).
I thought the same thing. Makes too much sense. Although the recent update to Paul st and the current on/off ramps pretty much remove the probability of this for a while.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 4:43 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

First off, my apologies for the following proposal to fix the problems with the Hall's Creek traffic circle and the Botsford/Wheeler interchange. I'm just learning photo editing and I'm using a freebie program from the interweb…..

I think it's a given that a proper interchange can't be installed at Botsford/Wheeler. The CN overpass here puts the kibosh to any reasonable solution.

The only thing to do would be to put in an unconnected overpass here and not have a direct connection to Wheeler from Botsford.

What can be done is to extend Elmwood Drive all the way to Main Street, and to put in a proper interchange to connect this extension of Elmwood Drive to Wheeler Boulevard, thus eliminating the traffic circle completely.

By doing this, traffic from Botsford will only have to travel about another 300-400M northeasterly before turning right on the Elmwood Drive extension in order to access Route 15. This shouldn't be too much of a penalty to commuters.

An added benefit would be that residents of north central Moncton would have direct access to Route 15 and Main Street via the Elmwood Drive extension. Also, Route 15 would finally become the high speed expressway through Moncton that it should have been in the first place.

Thoughts??

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 5:50 AM

It would have to be a similar configuration to the 15/2 interchange out by the airport. Either like that or your taking about some serious skyramps haha.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2013, 4:30 PM

It would pose a problem with the fire station on Botsford. It would be unable to access hwy 15/Wheeler without significant delay. Keep in mind that the fire station on Mclaughlin will be replaced and moved to Caledonia rd (entrance of the Industrial Park off Elmwood)... On that note, I have seen a draft of the floor plans this morning for the new station! Aside from that Monctonrad, and the expense of building an overpass in the marsh, I think that would work well for traffic.

Disregard comment that is underlined... I forgot about the ramp added at Elmwood extension. It would require significant upgrades to the extension and widening. Ladder truck around that turn would be tight. That plumbing place is some close to the corner and that street is very narrow in general.

Last edited by C_Boy; Nov 30, 2013 at 4:41 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces