HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 12:29 AM

Wink

If you want to be corrected in public, go to Starbucks and order a "large coffee with skim milk".

They're trained to basically make people either fall in line with their verbiage, or else feel embarrassed.

Man, I hope the Fairmont gets built.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 1:22 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I used to correct people a lot on message boards, but have since quit. I learned that people hate grammar nazis, for the most part. I notice mistakes (like mute/moot), but don't point them out.

sometimes i like to post in all lowercase. don't taze me, bro!
I notice alot more than I correct, just fyi. I'm fine, generally, with all lowercase, with abbreviations, with text speak, and with alot of other stuff.

I really hate interchanging words, though. Affect v. effect, then v. than, mute v. moot, etc. so on and so forth. Those are the things I'm most likely to correct.

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:10 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I notice alot more than I correct, just fyi. I'm fine, generally, with all lowercase, with abbreviations, with text speak, and with alot of other stuff.

I really hate interchanging words, though. Affect v. effect, then v. than, mute v. moot, etc. so on and so forth. Those are the things I'm most likely to correct.
a lot

Old Posted May 7, 2013, 2:35 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
a lot

Good point.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:45 PM

Gensler's site development plans for the Fairmont were posted to the City's FTP site yesterday. Below are the elevations:

Fairmont South Elevation:

Cross section of the floors:

I didn't realize exactly how skinny and flat it was going to be (all the renderings have been from an angle making it look just a tiny bit fatter than this) but that makes sense. For those of you whose firewall doesn't block you from accessing the City's FTP site, below is the link to the full plan set. It includes floorplates, site and streets, as well as the roof configuration.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...in%20Hotel.pdf

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 4:56 PM

The developers also filed for a new permit this week concerning sidewalk right of ways around the development. It wasn't real clear to me exactly what it meant. But it did mention extending 2nd St to which was news to me.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10947668

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
The developers also filed for a new permit this week concerning sidewalk right of ways around the development. It wasn't real clear to me exactly what it meant. But it did mention extending 2nd St to which was news to me.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10947668
There are a bunch of street extensions, including 2nd street, and they are all part of the Seaholm/Green Water redevelopment projects:

Austin American-Statesman, January 14, 2012
New streets in downtown Austin? Believe it
City, as part of redevelopment of Seaholm and Green plant sites, adding nine blocks of new streets at a cost of $24.2 million

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...ve-it-1/nRjkD/

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
There are a bunch of street extensions, including 2nd street, and they are all part of the Seaholm/Green Water redevelopment projects:

Austin American-Statesman, January 14, 2012
New streets in downtown Austin? Believe it
City, as part of redevelopment of Seaholm and Green plant sites, adding nine blocks of new streets at a cost of $24.2 million

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/l...ve-it-1/nRjkD/
I was referring to the 2nd ST extension to I35.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 5:59 PM
Rundberg & I35

671 feet to the roof roof? This will look to be as tall as the Austonian.... but much wider.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 6:29 PM

In addition to the spire, its definitely gonna be more impressive than the Austonian.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
In addition to the spire, its definitely gonna be more impressive than the Austonian.
The fact that it is so close to I35 will really make it stand out.

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 7:01 PM
Rundberg & I35

Nevermind on the 671' to the roof. It looks to start at 100' at ground level making the real height to the "roof roof" to be ~570'. Still a massive pressence on I-35 and a very wide building (especially to the 377' mark).

Old Posted May 16, 2013, 9:35 PM

The wide part of the tower will be facing 35 directly, so it will appear prominently as you pass it, but not so much as you approach downtown from either the south or north.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:51 AM
Meh

Yes, the elevation actually starts at 100 feet, so you have to subtract 100 feet from whatever number you see listed to the right of the building. So...unfortunately that means the spire won't even be 700 feet up. Officially it is 690 feet 8 inches, but I think it's safe to round that number to 691 feet. The roof height, at least what we'll be able to see from the street, is 571 feet 8 inches. That's actually the mechanical screen height. The actual roof is below that at 541 feet 8 inches.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 8:01 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
Gensler's site development plans for the Fairmont were posted to the City's FTP site yesterday. Below are the elevations:
Can you post the link to the city's FTP website?

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 8:50 AM
De Lurk Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The wide part of the tower will be facing 35 directly, so it will appear prominently as you pass it, but not so much as you approach downtown from either the south or north.
Correction, actually the tower will be parallel with Cesar Chavez and Waller creek. Thus making the wide side of the towers facing north and south per the provided plans.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Can you post the link to the city's FTP website?
Here's the main link to the City's FTP site. The link works for me, however some people's firewalls and/or network permissions won't allow access to it so it may not work for everyone.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
I was referring to the 2nd ST extension to I35.
Ooops.

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 10:16 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yes, the elevation actually starts at 100 feet, so you have to subtract 100 feet from whatever number you see listed to the right of the building. So...unfortunately that means the spire won't even be 700 feet up. Officially it is 690 feet 8 inches, but I think it's safe to round that number to 691 feet. The roof height, at least what we'll be able to see from the street, is 571 feet 8 inches. That's actually the mechanical screen height. The actual roof is below that at 541 feet 8 inches.
Furthermore, the building seems to be 47 stories instead of the "50+" having been advertised in recent articles.

The top of the mechanical screen will be ~10' shorter than the spire of 360 Condos (~571' vs. ~581'). The tower will definitely look shorter than The Austonian. Even though I'd like it to be much taller, I would be thrilled if it gets built. And I have confidence in that happening.

Additionally, I would not call anything "official" until construction is complete. Especially when a spire may be involved and dirt has yet to be turned.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 11:04 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin