HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So what's the deal with Money Mart – why is it still open? Any update on when the cycling connection will be finished?

And continuing with Pembina – will the stretch from Grant to just south of the underpass (where new bike lanes start) be connected soon?

Any word on finishing up the rest of the downtown bike infrastructure planned on Carlton, Hargrave, Garry, Arthur, etc? Is it going to happen?

I hate that most construction never ends up starting til June. Plans should be done and tenders signed by March so if we get an early spring (like now), construction can start already.
In order for that to happen the people that work for the city would actually have to be doing their jobs. We all know that ain’t happening.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 3:18 AM

^But when, they've been talking about this for 2 years? Just get it done already.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
^But when, they've been talking about this for 2 years? Just get it done already.
I am fairly sure that I saw the public expropriation notice for the lands in that area in the Free Press a few weeks ago.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 3:52 PM

City just posted the Garry Street reconstruction is starting right away, the entire project was actually tendered last year so they could start ASAP in spring. Expected to take 17 weeks. Will also include some things in the Exchange not finished last year. Says they will be maintaining bike lanes through the project.

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 5:06 PM

More proof that if you build it, they will eventually come.

https://twitter.com/DaleCalkins/stat...11754706997248

Old Posted May 9, 2019, 11:11 PM

"Paint isn't infrastructure" is a truism for a reason.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 9:55 PM

The magical bike lanes from nowhere to nowhere on Memorial/Colony begin construction in June.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2019, 3:33 PM

Usually when I bike home to Norwood from the East Exchange, I take Bannatyne to Ellen/Carlton (I hit the Snap on Portage), then Assiniboine home.

Decided to take take the new route that leads to Garry – what an absolute confusing mess. Logic would have you take a (blind turn) left off Bannatyne onto Arthur, where you'd ride on the right side. For some bizarre reason on Arthur south of McDermot, there's an opposite-direction NB lane on the left that's extremely poorly marked and unintuitive – have yet to see anyone using it in the right direction. Continuing, when you get to Notre Dame, you'd have to cross sides or turn left in front of vehicles that may be going right.

When you get to the insane mess that is the new intersection of Garry/Ellice/Notre Dame (seriously, they made it as complex as possible, ND should just have a single stop line set back a bit), all the bike signage and signals are designed to vehicle standards: so large and high up you can barely even figure out what's going on.

On top of that when you make the signalled left onto Notre Dame from Arthur, it's such a quick turn to make the right to cross the street (and there's no warning signage) that it almost baits you into turning directly into moving traffic.

I don't understand what's going on at traffic services – it's like their designing on the map without ever even trying to figure out in real life (or testing, for that matter) what the end result is. I can't imagine someone there actually tried biking these routes and came to the conclusion that it's all fine. This has to be changed – all this new cycling investment is great, but the signage (for pedestrians, cyclists, and vehicles) is atrocious. It's like they're asking for accidents so these can fail and they can go back to simpler jobs.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 2:43 AM
Formerly rypinion

Weird, here I am telling everyone how great Bannatyne/Arthur/Notre Dame/Garry is and that I can't wait for Garry to be finished south to Assiniboine. I've started using it for grocery runs to the Osborne Safeway on a pretty regular basis. Looking forward to being able to take it in both directions.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2019, 7:58 AM
Winnipeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Weird, here I am telling everyone how great Bannatyne/Arthur/Notre Dame/Garry is and that I can't wait for Garry to be finished south to Assiniboine. I've started using it for grocery runs to the Osborne Safeway on a pretty regular basis. Looking forward to being able to take it in both directions.
Nice to know, the bike lanes are not bad

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:38 PM

Another tragedy on the city's streets. Not much information has been released, perhaps some know exactly what happened. Is the real problem that there are far too many transport trucks in the central part of the city? I just don't believe that in central Minneapolis or in central Vancouver there are nearly as many large trucks. Are downtown Winnipeg's roadways being used as crosstown routes for trucks?

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Are downtown Winnipeg's roadways being used as crosstown routes for trucks?
Without a doubt. To a greater extent than you would see in pretty well any major Canadian city.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 6:54 PM

I didn't realize that was even a question. 110% yes. Not trying to be rude. I constantly see CN intermodal trucks navigating P&M. Coming from Provencher. Got to be the worst possible set-up for truckers, but that's what they got. Further reason not to get rid of Louise Bridge and possibly change to a truck route.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 7:44 PM

^ A rhetorical question..what I was trying to do is get people to question why this is the case and why it is permitted. What is wrong with local access only for the central area?

And of course we need the Louise Bridge, unless it's replaced with a new bridge parallel to the CP mainline that connects directly with the Nairn Overpass.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 8:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
^ A rhetorical question..what I was trying to do is get people to question why this is the case and why it is permitted. What is wrong with local access only for the central area?
What not limit local access to the central area of Winnipeg?

Simply put as a city we are trying to get there but building out the inner ring road network is going to take time.

That means telling your councilor that CPT, William Clement and the ring road network are a priority for you.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ywgwalk View Post
Bannatyne and McDermot lanes are mostly great (just need to put back up the NROR signs at Main, it's brutal), and I imagine Garry will be great – but the design of the connection from McDermot to Garry is so confusing and it's designed for vehicle scale, not human.

Next time you're near there on bike, start at Bannatyne and take a left on Arthur to go to Garry. Take notes, haha.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:49 AM

Also, as noted in the OV thread, Money Mart has been gutted – looks like they're getting ready to tear down and finish the AT connection.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2019, 3:17 PM

Research Offers Financial Case for Big City Bike Lanes
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bik...alth-1.5165954

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:19 PM

So Saskatoon started on a project to build protected bike lanes similar to what is happening in Winnipeg. The project was poorly received, similar to what I have heard is happening in Winnipeg, and yes even in the cycling community.

Interestingly, Saskatoon has already started removing their protected bike lanes.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...anes-1.5171994

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 3:45 PM
surely you agree with me

^ it was a poorly planned pilot project lane that was universally hated by cyclists right from the start. They are building other lanes elsewhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan